1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Wiper delay question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 06:57 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The think this topic got a little OFF. The original post was 'he wants to mount a delay type switch on his 65'. From that point, the conversation goes to - mounting the later model switch on a 67' and up but says nothing about it working on his 65', - which is what I would also like to know.
Can we get back to the original question. Can the delay switch work on a 65' two speed moter. Also same motor on my 66'. I remember having no luck.
What am I missing...?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:52 AM
6t6merc
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
The answer is still affirmative. However, I am making the presumption that the '65 and '66 switch and motor are the same or at least similar enough to permit it to work. I have done it three times on '66s. Must be 2-speed.
It is so simple that the OP can hook up the parts he has in a few minutes and find out.
Eric

Old 11-17-2017, 10:12 AM
Amphihauler
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 65 is a 4x4 with the older step cab. I wander if there is any chance it uses and older two speed wiper system by chance? It is a two speed wiper but has a manual foot pump washer.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:04 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
Originally Posted by Amphihauler
My 65 is a 4x4 with the older step cab. I wander if there is any chance it uses and older two speed wiper system by chance? It is a two speed wiper but has a manual foot pump washer.
Wiper motor is the same whether 2WD or 4WD. The wiper motor has nothing to do with the windshield washer system. Completely independent of each other - except the switch itself in some cases as an electrical commonality.

Have you considered getting a copy of the MPC on disk so you can answer these questions yourself?

Chad

Old 11-17-2017, 11:06 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by The Masked Rider
The think this topic got a little OFF. The original post was 'he wants to mount a delay type switch on his 65'. From that point, the conversation goes to - mounting the later model switch on a 67' and up but says nothing about it working on his 65', - which is what I would also like to know.
Can we get back to the original question. Can the delay switch work on a 65' two speed moter. Also same motor on my 66'. I remember having no luck.
What am I missing...?
I think all the conversation pertained to exactly that the delay module, along with its corresponding switch, will work in an older application with a two-speed wiper motor.

My '69 F100 only had a two-speed wiper motor. After I stalling the switch and the governor/delay module/black box from an '87 F150, my truck still has a two-speed wiper but now with the addition of a variable wiper delay. I did this conversion on my truck about 4 years ago.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Amphihauler
Elder User
Originally Posted by TA455HO

Have you considered getting a copy of the MPC on disk so you can answer these questions yourself?

Chad

I have one actually. But I work in Alaska two weeks on and two off. I didn't bring it with me this hitch and am just trying to work out project plans for my next time home.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:16 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My '66 F250 4X4 had factory two speed wipers and the washer pump bellows on the floor (dealer add on). The switch was two speed (obviously) and it was set up to pull for washers, if so equipped.

Anyways, I grabbed a switch and governor setup out of a '90 F350 and it all plugged right in to the factory harness and works perfect with the original motor.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:16 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
My '66 F250 4X4 had factory two speed wipers and the washer pump bellows on the floor (dealer add on). The switch was two speed (obviously) and it was set up to pull for washers, if so equipped.

Anyways, I grabbed a switch and governor setup out of a '90 F350 and it all plugged right in to the factory harness and works perfect with the original motor.
....yet, another confirmation of what's been discussed.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:20 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll go back and check again when I get a little time. Don't seem to have much personal fun time these days. Hummmm - some day.
Good night from the left coast.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:13 AM
6t6merc
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
It is possible that the rumour that the intermittent system doesn't work with a Bosch motor is true. I haven't a clue what a Bosch motor is, or how to identify one.
Give it another try. It's quick, easy, and makes your truck a lot more enjoyable for a minimal outlay. That's fun, right?
Eric

Old 11-19-2017, 02:18 PM
RangerMercMan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To learn everything you need to know about delay wipers, watch the documentary movie The Kearns Blinking Eye. I hope I got the title correct. Wrong title...it is "Flash of Genius" from 2008

Old 11-20-2017, 10:08 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
Originally Posted by Amphihauler
I have one actually. But I work in Alaska two weeks on and two off. I didn't bring it with me this hitch and am just trying to work out project plans for my next time home.
What I do - and this can help a lot - I take the PDF files that come on the disk and copy them to a named folder on my computer hard drive. Seek times on a CD/DVD are usually pretty bad so it can take a lot longer to do something if those PDFs are on one compared to being on a physical hard drive.

Plus you don't have to remember to bring anything separate as long as you bring the computer itself.

Just a recommendation.

Chad

Old 11-20-2017, 10:16 AM
Amphihauler
Elder User
Yea I saved the CD to my hard drive at home and forgot to bring it up to work this hitch. I spend more time on a computer at work than at home as you guys can probably tell from my post history when I'm at work in Alaska or home turning wrenches.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:04 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I uploaded a copy to one of my OneDrive folders. If I have access to the internet, I have access to my parts catalogs. I also have copies on both computers as well as thumb drives.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:32 PM
Amphihauler
Elder User
It's been a bit but I finely got around to trying to install this in my 65. Looks like I do in fact have the older style switch.

So..... From anther post of mine you may be aware that I have a 66 2wd cab on my trailer. It was fully optioned out and appears to have the washer push button on its switch which I pretty sure is compatible with this delay upgrade. I'm wondering if I could swap the entire dash cluster and switch wiring and fuse block from my round style gauge to the sweep cluster. It has the dual gauges on either side of the sweep as does my factory found cluster. The doner has all the switches and such which I'd swap out at the same time. Wondering if the firewall plugs are the same...

Quick Reply: Wiper delay question