1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Market Value help

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 06:24 PM
topcarbon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Market Value help

I am interested in a 1951 F-1
The ask is $30k
has a small block 350 and 350 turbo transmission
About 2500 miles on the restoration
your help is valued

Attached Images     
Old 11-14-2017, 06:47 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Interesting color choices.

Couple of questions:
Was the work done by a shop or builder with experience?
Was the drivetrain rebuilt?
What is the suspension setup
What does the interior look like?
Where in the world are you?

Old 11-14-2017, 06:52 PM
topcarbon
New User
im in Phoenisome of the year)
New radiator

New carb

Mustang II front end

Mustang II 9" rear end

Disc brakes - Front

New wood bed

New interior - Monte Carlo diamond stitched bench seat

Interior of doors custom diamond stitched

New headliner

New door handles(interior & exterior) & window cranks

New sun visors & rear view mirror

Interior of cabin dyna-matted

Kenwood BT Audio enabled head-unit

Kenwood 10" subwoofer

Kenwood 4 channel amp

Custom 2 tone paint

New Cadillac rep hub-caps

New white-wall tires

Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2017, 06:53 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Worth is a relative term

That is a nice looking truck, however its value is based on what the market will bear. That might not be the same as what $$$ it took to build it.

Personally I doubt I would pay the asking price; but to some it would be worth it to have it completely done and drivable. There are a lot of variables to consider such as quality of body work done, mods to motor, runnning gear, etc. Does it suit your style and taste, or would you want to change things ?
At that price will you drive it daily, weekends only, shows only ? Would it be reliable if you wanted to cruise 1000 miles on it.

It took me 8 years to get mine on the road, and I have about $20K into it; but for me it was about the journey to get it on the road. Mine is not perfect.

Good luck with what you decide.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:02 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I'll bet 20 bucks that's a full 4x8 sheet of plywood in the bed with the metal strips bolted on top of it. The tailgate chains look like the ones you see on child swings. Just two red flags that would definitely make me hesitate. Especially for 30 G's.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:04 PM
topcarbon
New User
Originally Posted by Doc
I'll bet 20 bucks that's a full 4x8 sheet of plywood in the bed with the metal strips bolted on top of it. The tailgate chains look like the ones you see on child swings. Just two red flags that would definitely make me hesitate. Especially for 30 G's.
That’s the input I need
thsnk you
will ask about the bed

Old 11-14-2017, 07:35 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
So the engine wasn't rebuilt?

Also, normally builders are looking to create a stance that has the rear slightly higher than the front. From the pics, this truck appears to be the opposite. Something is just not right. In addition, have you sat in the truck? Often seats that are repurposed into these trucks don't properly position the occupants correctly (too high, too far forward, too something).

I realize you are in Arizonia and all, but this thing doesn't have any wipers.

Getting to $30K isn't difficult on a build. The real challange is to give a buyer reasons to fork over that much money.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:26 PM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I believe the truck is over-priced.

Many of the parts you listed are not high cost items. The firewall has not been overhauled. The steering column/wheel appears stock. You indicated it has 2500 miles since restoration. Does that mean the drivetrain was just replaced? The engine does not appear to be recently overhauled; many of the parts are stock Chevy.

As Doc and FortyNiner pointed out, the bed looks like plywood and the stance should be raked with a Mustang II clip. Knowing the truck’s origin is a plus; there is a current thread on hidden damage.

I do not have any experience with that year truck; mine have only been ‘56s. Perhaps someone with more specific experience can help as well.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:35 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
A quick glance shows it needs springs, bumpers, windshield wipers and probably an alternator belt. IMO, a bit overpriced.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:51 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
In addition to what's already been mentioned , heater not connected but still in , no door weatherstriping , flat paint always a concern . If you are interested please take some one with experience with these trucks with you .

Old 11-14-2017, 10:24 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
In my opinion the truck does not have quality of finishing to command that price. As pointed out there are to many details that have been over looked or not done. If you can't do the simple small stuff and make it right just what kind of quality is the big
stuff. This is one I would pass on at 30K or even 13K, just too many red flags IMHO

Old 11-14-2017, 11:28 PM
49 Merc P/U
Junior User
With all do respect there is no detail under the hood. The heater is not connected, there are no connections to the relay on the top left, none of the extra holes in the firewall are filled. It looks to me to be another wham bam thankyou mame type of build. All glossy on the outside and not much on the inside and underside. Also the seat backs look overly thick and would not offer a very good seating arrangement. Also a Mustang ll did not come with a 9'' rear. I would bet that the underside will much like the firewall.regards bruce

Old 11-15-2017, 12:57 AM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
That engine is $150 at a junkyard. The trans isn't worth its weight in lead.
With such an uninspired drivetrain and detail, I wouldn't see much more worth than 6-7k. Paint is nice. Wrong, but nice.I really like the interior, looks good except that shifter door ****. Seats and door panels are very nice.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:24 AM
Mr. Ed
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think if it had a Ford motor, it might be close to that but with a Chevy motor, I wouldn't go over 18-19k. Just my two cents. But there are some who would favor, and therefore pay more, for the Chevy drive train.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Old 11-15-2017, 10:00 AM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts
While its a nice truck, I agree with the concerns of others that there have been a few too many corners cut to make this a $30K truck. Who is selling it? Is it a dealer or private party? In the end its only worth what someone agrees to sell it for and what someone agrees to pay for it. If you're really serious about it float him an offer around $16K and see where it takes you. See what they come back with. I don't think i would give over $20K myself. There also probably things you will find after you buy it that you will want to fix or change (which is normal) so you will be investing more in it. Just remember some day you will sell it too. And when that happens you be glad you did not overpay to begin with.

Quick Reply: Market Value help