1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New Flathead

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 08:42 PM
jcslocum
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Allie started up her Flathead rebuild that she has been working on. It can be done at Home economically.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:51 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Awesome!

Nothing sounds like a flathead.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:13 PM
Bartman1959
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmadsen
Has anyone contacted Bill Buhler in Boise?

I didnt find anything with a quick google search. I'm guessing that he isn't still building engines, makes you wonder who would have taken on his business.

I'm going to Boise on Thursday, and if I have time, I'll try to look him up.

Bartman

Old 01-02-2018, 11:15 AM
acl9865
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bartman1959
I'm going to Boise on Thursday, and if I have time, I'll try to look him up.

Bartman

I've tried looking him up, no luck so far. The address I have is now a whiskey bar. But I'll be there in 2 weeks so maybe I'll get searching again.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:50 AM
Bartman1959
Senior User
Originally Posted by acl9865
I've tried looking him up, no luck so far. The address I have is now a whiskey bar. But I'll be there in 2 weeks so maybe I'll get searching again.

Which address do you have, 1417 Grove St., or 509 Main St.?

Old 01-02-2018, 12:37 PM
Carbonarc
Mountain Pass

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
It's a myth that it costs $6k for a stock rebuild. $2500 most places, same as for a SBC or SBF. Check with "3Twinridges" for a shop nearby.

There is a place in KS or OK that sells flatheads on eBay, has a good rep. Most of what they sell on eBay is the doodie'd up versions, aluminum heads, tri-carbs, etc. but they do stock too. Their shipping is cheaper than the cost of you driving there.
I talked to this guys roughly 2 years ago about a 'stock' rebuild. I ended up going locally for the work on an 8CM because he was booked several months out and I though I wanted it sooner. He's been building flatheads for many years. Can't recall his name or phone number, but had found him on eBay. One of the things I liked was he'd build an engine with solid lifters and grind for the clearance. He used an engine picker that circulated through the Midwest and into the northeast. As I recall his pricing for a stock build was around 1800 plus a couple hundred for the core. He said only about 1 in 5 found engines was worth rebuilding.

It would be worth your time to track him down and call him. He's somewhere in the Midwest, I seem to recall Missouri.

Curt

Old 01-02-2018, 12:44 PM
Carbonarc
Mountain Pass

The guys at Modern Transmission work with some flathead guys. A call to them might help locate Buhler.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:46 PM
Carbonarc
Mountain Pass

Help! I'm responding to the correct post but it keeps going here? (Adding to Ross's post #2) I talked to this guys roughly 2 years ago about a 'stock' rebuild. I ended up going locally for the work on an 8CM because he was booked several months out and I though I wanted it sooner. He's been building flatheads for many years. Can't recall his name or phone number, but had found him on eBay. One of the things I liked was he'd build an engine with solid lifters and grind for the clearance. He used an engine picker that circulated through the Midwest and into the northeast. As I recall his pricing for a stock build was around 1800 plus a couple hundred for the core. He said only about 1 in 5 found engines was worth rebuilding.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:54 PM
Bartman1959
Senior User
Originally Posted by Carbonarc
Help! I'm responding to the correect post but it keeps going here? (Adding to Ross's post #2) I talked to this guys roughly 2 years ago about a 'stock' rebuild. I ended up going locally for the work on an 8CM because he was booked several months out and I though I wanted it sooner. He's been building flatheads for many years. Can't recall his name or phone number, but had found him on eBay. One of the things I liked was he'd build an engine with solid lifters and grind for the clearance. He used an engine picker that circulated through the Midwest and into the northeast. As I recall his pricing for a stock build was around 1800 plus a couple hundred for the core. He said only about 1 in 5 found engines was worth rebuilding.

Are you referring to Bill Buhler in Boise, Idaho?

Old 01-02-2018, 01:10 PM
Carbonarc
Mountain Pass

Bartman, just giving ACL an idea of someone who might know Buhler's contact info. The info above is regarding the eBay guy Ross referred to earlier.

Sorry for the confusing posts, I thought my posts were going to the wrong thread!

Old 01-02-2018, 02:50 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Sorry for the confusing posts, I thought my posts were going to the wrong thread!
Tip: If you click on the blue quote button in the bottom right of the post you are responding to then it adds that in your response. That makes it less confusing. We sometimes go off on tangents.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:39 PM
Bartman1959
Senior User
Bartman, just giving ACL an idea of someone who might know Buhler's contact info. The info above is regarding the eBay guy Ross referred to earlier.

Curt, no problem. Like the above post, just add the quote to your reply and we'll know what you're referring to. Also, your reply goes to the bottom of the thread in numerical order, not below the comment you're replying to.

Also, we are actually going to Boise tomorrow, not Thursday. If I have some extra time, I'll try to locate Bill Buhler.

Bartman

Old 01-02-2018, 10:48 PM
Carbonarc
Mountain Pass

Pete & Bartman - thanks for the tips. And Pete you're right about being confused. The first post on page three was a video about starting a flathead and I did think I had been zapped into a different thread. Completely my fault for not reading further. Apologies to all!

Old 01-03-2018, 09:40 AM
Bartman1959
Senior User
Pete & Bartman - thanks for the tips. And Pete you're right about being confused. The first post on page three was a video about starting a flathead and I did think I had been zapped into a different thread. Completely my fault for not reading further. Apologies to all!

Curt, no apologies necessary, just glad I could help.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:13 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
No problem. As I said we go off on tangents here. Using quotes helps keep us all in the loop.

Quick Reply: New Flathead