Draining the water separator - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Draining the water separator

Old 11-11-2017, 11:30 PM
Senior User

BLUENGRAY05FX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Draining the water separator

How much do you drain out? Until it stops?

I just drained mine, and drained about half a jar. There was no sign of water. It didn't seem to make much sense to keep draining it and wasting fuel.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:11 AM
Senior User

USSenator is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have not drained my 2017 yet, but in my 2003 I just let it run for 5 seconds or so.

Water should be at the bottom, so it comes out first. I drained it right on the ground. It took all of 15 seconds to do it once the hood was open to check the oil.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:53 AM
Post Fiend

Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
Don't let it run until it stops as it will drain your fuel tank. As USS said, a few seconds will show if you have any water or not.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Elder User

bushpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
is it necessary to cycle the key (several times) to refill the filter/pressurize the system like i had to on my 2004?
Old 11-12-2017, 10:45 AM
New User

TexasPowerStroke is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
is it necessary to cycle the key (several times) to refill the filter/pressurize the system like i had to on my 2004?
its not a bad idea to do that, but not needed if you only drain for a few seconds. I've always drained for about 10 seconds every 1,000 miles. I cycle the key once every single time I start though.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:46 AM
Junior User

nathan_2017 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just replaced my fuel filters last weekend, and the first step was to drain the separator until it was empty so I could get to the filter. My experience was that draining the separator will not drain your entire tank, just the separator amount.

When I do drain the separator for spot checking, I do so for 5-10 seconds. I do cycle the key once or twice as cheap insurance.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:50 AM
Postmaster

HRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Don't let it run until it stops as it will drain your fuel tank. As USS said, a few seconds will show if you have any water or not.
That's what I do. I fill the jar about 3 inches high and inspect the results. No water/contaminants? I'm done. So far, I haven't had to drain more than the initial amount.

Rodney, are you sure the fuel tank would drain completely if the drain plug was left open? That doesn't make sense to me.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:51 AM
New User

rajones19 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I drained mine a week ago when the light came on. A bunch of brown crap drizzled out first, followed by fuel. Turns out I got a bad tank of fuel. Not sure what the brown is, but looks like rust from the bottom of the station's tank. Truck has been in the shop for a week now, having the tank drained and flushed, fuel lines purged, fuel filters and fuel pump. Frustration now is the fuel pump is on backorder, so probably another week before I get it back. Almost a $1000 repair, which the owner of the gas station says he will cover. Fortunately none of it got past the filters, or I would be looking at a 5-digit non-warranty repair. Glad I didn't ignore that Water In Fuel light!
Old 11-12-2017, 10:52 AM
Post Fiend

Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
That was the case on the on the 11-16's. Maybe they corrected this with the 17's redesigned filter? Many folks were surprised when they went to change their filter and the fuel just kept coming. It would siphon the tank dry. You had to unscrew the housing 3 full turns before opening the valve to prevent this from happening. If they corrected this, that is a definite improvement indeed!

On edit: Come to think of it, I guess they would have had to change the design with the new rectangular housing being unbolted apart as opposed to unscrewed like the previous gen. Partial unscrewing was the method to close off the fuel line from the tank. Oh, and for the new to 6.7 guys, be grateful for more than just this as an improvement in design. Many of the old style screw off caps would break when you went to loosen them so a lot of us had a spare in the garage just in case...
Old 11-12-2017, 01:04 PM
Senior User

USSenator is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajones19 View Post
I drained mine a week ago when the light came on. A bunch of brown crap drizzled out first, followed by fuel. Turns out I got a bad tank of fuel. Not sure what the brown is, but looks like rust from the bottom of the station's tank. Truck has been in the shop for a week now, having the tank drained and flushed, fuel lines purged, fuel filters and fuel pump. Frustration now is the fuel pump is on backorder, so probably another week before I get it back. Almost a $1000 repair, which the owner of the gas station says he will cover. Fortunately none of it got past the filters, or I would be looking at a 5-digit non-warranty repair. Glad I didn't ignore that Water In Fuel light!
Did your truck have any symptoms? Or did you just bring it in?
Old 11-12-2017, 11:54 PM
New User

rajones19 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSenator View Post
Did your truck have any symptoms? Or did you just bring it in?
No symptoms other than the indicator. I pulled over into a parking lot right away to drain the separator. When the light didn't go out after draining about 1/3 gallon, I pulled into a Ford dealership that just happened to be about 2 miles up the road.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:59 AM
Posting Guru

shortride has a good reputation on FTE.shortride has a good reputation on FTE.
Mine was drained during my last oil change at 8,000 miles and found no water.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Elder User

BII Plow Truck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any procedure / write-up posted someplace on How-To? Or is it in the owner's manual?
Old 11-13-2017, 02:00 PM
Senior User

nuctrooper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BII Plow Truck View Post
Any procedure / write-up posted someplace on How-To? Or is it in the owner's manual?
It's in the owners manual. Pretty simple.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2017, 02:04 PM
Elder User

bushpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BII Plow Truck View Post
page 345 & 346 in the printed owners manual, available on-line - HERE