Winter grill cover - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Winter grill cover

Old 11-16-2017, 10:55 AM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by DieselDenny View Post
Looks great,

That's a great idea for the block heater!! I might have to steal that idea.

Lot easier than screwing with the cord! Now if we could just get some +50 cetane fuel in Michigan I'd be happy.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:54 AM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Cover is on order. Hopefully here Monday. Looking forward to seeing what it does for warming stuff up.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My Ford cover is on the truck. We are seeing 20F routinely right now, the truck does warm up sooner and the heat soaked motor keeps the heat longer while parked as the winds have less influence. It looks great, easy install and it is not going anywhere.

Purchased through eBat from a significant Ford dealer in Ohio, had a shipment confirmation is less than two hours after paying for it.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:23 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Copper.Farm View Post
My Ford cover is on the truck. We are seeing 20F routinely right now, the truck does warm up sooner and the heat soaked motor keeps the heat longer while parked as the winds have less influence. It looks great, easy install and it is not going anywhere.

Purchased through eBat from a significant Ford dealer in Ohio, had a shipment confirmation is less than two hours after paying for it.
I am looking forward to it then. First dealer I ordered through on eBay apparently orders from Ford and then ships. Didn't realize that. So shipping from Ford is slow right now. So cancelled that order and got a good deal from another dealer. Shipped it outright away.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:20 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Alright so quick question here. I received the cover today and went ahead and installed it. Have to say I am disappointed the hooks are plastic but I will just have to deal with it. Anyways I got the cover off eBay. In great advertised shape, expect the fact that they didn’t say it came from a smokers truck. My question is will the cover air out since it’s spread out on the truck? Or is the smoke smell gonna get sucked up and blown into my truck with the heat on?

Old 12-18-2017, 04:48 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Christs sake seth, Just drive faster.

Denny (answer is no) (fricken smoke shouldn't bother you anyway, but I understand why it does).

Old 12-18-2017, 06:08 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DieselDenny View Post
Christs sake seth, Just drive faster.

Denny (answer is no) (fricken smoke shouldn't bother you anyway, but I understand why it does).
Easy Denny

House fire smoke no problem

Cigarette smoke bothers me. Plus my wife and son are both asthmatics so the smoke of sucked in would get to them quickly. Will see tomorrow. Hopefully all good When spring hits I will wash it in odorban and that should take care of that, the bag is soaking currently.

Quick picture of it installed.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:36 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice bra Seth. Warm it up and get it tighter.

Your wanting to soak it down with odorban or equiv.

Overnight will be the dif.

I'd also offer to hose it down with 303. Longevity.

It is a nice addy for temps, eh. Member 50 degrees tops 32 towing.

Look into the superduty stickers for grill and tail on ebay, I'll try to send the link. Really sparkles.

Denny

Old 12-19-2017, 10:38 AM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Defiantly warms up quicker. Not bad to look at. I might take it off and wash it with some dawn just to at least clean it up a little.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:18 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
FYI - long drive today that got into temps >50F, I think....

Actually I was going by the temperature control panel “External Temp” and it went above 50F, the fan came on at 60F.

The thing is I was driving down the highway with a 30 mph tailwind, and it was rathe cool outside. Later as I was driving the truck around town, the “External Temp” went up to 70F and there was no way it was that warm.

The entire experience lead me to believe that the “External Temp” is actually the temp of the engine bay.... Does anyone know where that sensor is?

Old 12-19-2017, 09:09 PM
sxrfun
Elder User
sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Your external temp sensor will be attached to the passenger side headlight assembly......pop the hood and look for the torpedo looking thing with wires running to it, near the top of headlight assembly on black arm that mounts to truck body.
The winter cover will cause it to read higher then the temp actually is...essentially you're right in saying you're reading engine bay temps for the most part. I relocated my temp sensor down in the bumper so it is sitting in and reading the airflow that comes through the license plate area in the bumper for this reason.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:59 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
There is an extension harness that puts the sensor back into the “real” air when running the cover. A guy just gave me the link of the part number. Gonna try to dig it out again.

Here it is. Bubba posted it. Thanks bubba.

8C3Z-14A411-C Is the extension harness. Cheapest I have found so far is $50.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:26 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Thanks for confirming my observations and the part number, ordered as I want the true temps.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:44 AM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Copper.Farm View Post
Thanks for confirming my observations and the part number, ordered as I want the true temps.
Where did you get it from?

Old 12-20-2017, 08:38 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406 View Post
Where did you get it from?
Ordered online through GenuinePartsGiant, expensive shipping but cheaper than driving the 160 mile loop to my closest Ford Parts Counter. I try to support the local guys but this is just too small and specialized.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter grill cover

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: