Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Wastegate Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 07:49 AM
pascalhorse
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wastegate Actuator

I have a 94 F350 with a 7.3L IDI Turbo and need to find out how to check the wastegate actuator to see if it is working and opening the wastegate. If it is bad how can I go about finding a new replacement. The part is not available from the dealer and all I can find on other websites is actuators for the powerstroke.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:51 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Factory turbo? Um, did the factory turbo have a wastegate?

There are no wastegate actuators for the Powerstroke; they don't have wastegates.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:55 PM
pascalhorse
Freshman User
All I know is that most of the actuators that are listed on EBay are for the Powerstroke. Mine is a 7.3L IDI Turbo.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:35 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I see EGR valves for Powerstrokes on eBay. I see "OEM" glow plugs for $5/ea on eBay. Doesn't mean they really exist.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:26 AM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don’t believe there is an “actuator”

Old 11-08-2017, 09:17 AM
Aj Cook
New User
Originally Posted by pascalhorse
I have a 94 F350 with a 7.3L IDI Turbo and need to find out how to check the wastegate actuator to see if it is working and opening the wastegate. If it is bad how can I go about finding a new replacement. The part is not available from the dealer and all I can find on other websites is actuators for the powerstroke.
you can buy any waistgate (google: internal wastegate actuator) you want so long as it’s the type with metal arm still. Turbosmart makes a really great one. If your looking to test the actuator then find a tool that you can hook to the nipple that allowed you to see how much psi ur blowing into it. If the arm moves then it still works. If you see full movement of the arm and the psi is low then your spring is weak. Or just take it to your local turbo shop and they can test it and Set it to ur psi wants

Old 11-08-2017, 09:23 AM
pascalhorse
Freshman User
Thanks for the info

Old 11-08-2017, 06:37 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The factory turbo IDIs were wastegated, as well as 99+ Powerstrokes. Why do you want to know if its opening? Most people disable it, which is a poor choice imo. You can adjust them to raise the opening pressure.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:50 PM
pascalhorse
Freshman User
I thought that it would open when you increase the throttle from an idle to a higher RPM. I did not notice any movement in the actuator when I ran the throttle up so thought the actuator was defective. I removed the hose from the actuator and found that I had air pressure when I ran the throttle up. I am not that familiar with Turbo's so any information is appreciated. As far as disabling it I don't feel that is an option, if it is supposed to be there and in working condition then that is what I want. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:38 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
All it does is limit boost. It won't do anything until you get at least 5-6 psi of boost, then it will open to reduce restriction, as the stock engine doesn't need any more air to burn all of the stock fuel available.

It should *not* do anything except under enough load(enough fuel being added) to create that boost - you probably won't see it do anything unless you are towing.

Personally, I disagree with keeping things stock - Add a couple of gauges(EGT, boost), disconnect the wastegate and add some more fuel, and the engine will basically double in power. It's totally limited by how little fuel Ford decided to give it.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:27 PM
pascalhorse
Freshman User
Thanks for the info

Old 11-09-2017, 06:24 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Macrobb

Personally, I disagree with keeping things stock - Add a couple of gauges(EGT, boost), disconnect the wastegate and add some more fuel, and the engine will basically double in power. It's totally limited by how little fuel Ford decided to give it.
I didnt say anything about keeping it stock, but disabling the wastegate, by locking it out or unhooking the reference hose is kinda dumb. They are semi easily adjustable to where you get the best of both worlds. Banks even makes a aftermarket replacement that is pre-set to 20 psi manifold pressure. By not disabling it you get the perks of more boost while also keeping drive pressure in check. Maybe not that big of deal on a stock pump turned up, but with a 90cc or 110cc youre making ALOT of unnecessary heat, drive pressure, overboosting, and possibly overspeeding. All of that can be tuned via the wastegate.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
I didnt say anything about keeping it stock,
The OP did:
As far as disabling it I don't feel that is an option, if it is supposed to be there and in working condition then that is what I want.
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
but disabling the wastegate, by locking it out or unhooking the reference hose is kinda dumb. They are semi easily adjustable to where you get the best of both worlds. Banks even makes a aftermarket replacement that is pre-set to 20 psi manifold pressure. By not disabling it you get the perks of more boost while also keeping drive pressure in check. Maybe not that big of deal on a stock pump turned up, but with a 90cc or 110cc youre making ALOT of unnecessary heat, drive pressure, overboosting, and possibly overspeeding. All of that can be tuned via the wastegate.
If I was able to push 20 PSI out of a stock turbo, yeah, I'd agree with you. I haven't been able to do it yet, even with a 110CC IP... and installing a wastegate that is never used is just a waste of money.

I've done it with a Banks TE06H(23 PSI; bent an exhaust pushrod), and yeah, once you get up to 18+PSI, you are just creating heat, no extra power.
But that took a 110CC IP to do that, and anyone buying an IP like that is going to want/need to do a bunch of research beforehand anyway. What I'm saying should work fine for a 'stock' setup.

I did recommend adding a boost gauge as well, so you can see what you are doing.