2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

3rd Brake Lamp Camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 09:42 PM
1956Fatfenders
Elder User
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg McMahon
Yes, not a problem. Was planning on posting them as soon as I got home. The middle of the five connectors is the one for the CHMSL...

Based on what I found in my C-pillar, the top middle, and top right connector look right. How many wires, and what colors going to those connectors??? Wonder what the other connectors are for?

Interesting that cable part number does not come up anywhere.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:58 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm curious as well, I wonder if the actual main body harness is different and we wont be able to get the camera to work without it. I hope that's not the case, my harness has yet to arrive FYI.

Sarge

Old 03-26-2018, 11:49 AM
Greg McMahon
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarge261
I'm curious as well, I wonder if the actual main body harness is different and we wont be able to get the camera to work without it. I hope that's not the case, my harness has yet to arrive FYI.

Sarge
The main body harness is different depending on the build spec. We used a vin off of a platinum sitting on the lot. The correct main body harness is a HC3Z*14A005*QL, with a control module of HC3Z*19H405*K. Those two items are $1,363.29, not to mention the additional programming changes.... I would unfortunately need to replace the main harness and add the control module if I wish to add the CHMSL per the dealer. You can find out what harness you have and if you even have a control module by calling the dealer with your vin. Ask them for the Ford part number for call out code's 19H405 & 14A055.

As for the wires and colors.... I will post them tomorrow when I get back to my house.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:16 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Greg McMahon
The main body harness is different depending on the build spec. We used a vin off of a platinum sitting on the lot. The correct main body harness is a HC3Z*14A005*QL, with a control module of HC3Z*19H405*K. Those two items are $1,363.29, not to mention the additional programming changes.... I would unfortunately need to replace the main harness and add the control module if I wish to add the CHMSL per the dealer. You can find out what harness you have and if you even have a control module by calling the dealer with your vin. Ask them for the Ford part number for call out code's 19H405 & 14A055.

As for the wires and colors.... I will post them tomorrow when I get back to my house.
So you just bought the harness? I'm going to pull my C-pillar out here shortly and I'm hoping I can at least make the lights work if nothing else. Otherwise I've got a 250 paperweight sitting in my tool box.

Sarge

Old 03-26-2018, 01:23 PM
Greg McMahon
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you just bought the harness? I'm going to pull my C-pillar out here shortly and I'm hoping I can at least make the lights work if nothing else. Otherwise I've got a 250 paperweight sitting in my tool box.

Sarge
I bought the HC3Z*14A411*D harness, which is from the light to the c-pillar. I can ship it to you if you to PM me your address. I don't think i'm going to go that far into changing the main harness and adding the control module. If you plug in the HC3Z*14A411*D with your CHMSL and theirs video then i'll just order another harness, up to you.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:32 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I have a harness on the way. I don't recall the P/N I ordered but I used a vin from a Lariat truck that was real close to mine except that it had the high mount camera only. If its the same part number that you ordered Ill keep it nd figure out how to make the lights work for now and then dive back into the project. Camping season is getting close and I cant have the truck torn apart.
I am going to remove my head liner or at least drop it down as far as I can so I can see if maybe I have something else hiding in the roof.

Sarge

Old 03-27-2018, 01:00 PM
ssmith100
Cross-Country
I wish someone would find a hack so the camera could be used going down the road.

Shane

Old 03-27-2018, 01:24 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Ok Folks,

Finally some good news, 1 more piece of the puzzle solved. I have the correct harness for those of us that have the larger screen and not the LED lights or tow tech package. As soon as I get a few minutes Ill plug it in and see what happens. All the pins line up all the colors line up, so at the very least the lights will work properly. My assumption is that we will need the trim bezel and switch, maybe some forscan work.

I'm now determined!

Sarge

Old 03-27-2018, 01:25 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
The following users liked this post:
Old 03-27-2018, 02:11 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Phase 1 completed: This is the correct harness for those of us that aren't "Loaded", the lights operate normally, and they are considerably brighter than the incandescent counter parts. Next step is to figure out if I can just buy the switch to make this work or if programming is involved.

Here is a picture of my bezel, and I seem to remember that the truck I used to get this far didn't have the down hill descent feature, so If someone could post up a picture of your bezel if you have the traction control, and down hill descent assit, as well as the cameral toggle, I assume we all have the exhaust brake button in the same spot, I could be wrong. Also the harness I bought was cheaper than the pig tail so even if I cant make the camera work right now I'm ok with where I'm at thus far. I assume a good quality LED high mount set up would run 150 bucks or so, that's about what I paid for the one I bought for my 2006.

Anyway picture as promised:

Old 03-27-2018, 03:50 PM
1956Fatfenders
Elder User
Here is a picture of my bezel, and I seem to remember that the truck I used to get this far didn't have the down hill descent feature, so If someone could post up a picture of your bezel if you have the traction control, and down hill descent assit, as well as the cameral toggle, I assume we all have the exhaust brake button in the same spot, I could be wrong. Also the harness I bought was cheaper than the pig tail so even if I cant make the camera work right now I'm ok with where I'm at thus far. I assume a good quality LED high mount set up would run 150 bucks or so, that's about what I paid for the one I bought for my 2006.

Anyway picture as promised:

This is the screen shot that makes me think the camera selection is made via a touch screen button, and not the physical push button above the screen...unless you need the physical button to bring up the screen icons???

Old 03-27-2018, 03:53 PM
1956Fatfenders
Elder User
Actually, I think this is the one you're referring to Sarge, for correct button selection?

Old 03-27-2018, 05:27 PM
1956Fatfenders
Elder User
Sarge, Can you confirm the part numbers you have to this point? I believe there are 3 total.
  • HC3Z-13A613-D; CHMSL w/camera....(cheapest I've found is about $250, correct?)
  • HC3Z-14A411-G; C-pillar to CHMSL pigtail.....(About $7.50?)
  • FU2Z-14S411-DB; CHMSL pigtail (was this the one you showed previously, attached to the CHMSL?. About $18?)

My Workshop Manual doesn't IDENTIFY specifically, the connector for the camera option, on the top/center dash area.
There are only four diagrams of the dash. The first three, I "cut down" to get rid of clutter.

This one clearly shows the 5 connectors for the buttons above the MFD, but no labeling.

Only the Exhaust Brake and Lane Departure Switch connectors are identified here.

Only the Hill Descent Control switch connector is identified here.I found it odd that the Hazard Flasher and Camera switches are not identified on ANY diagram.

I included this view, only because the Image Processing Module is noted in the top right corner, pointing to a spot just behind, and below the MFD.

Now, in the trouble shooting section of the WS Manual, I found this:

Below are the three connectors associated with Image Processing Module. I'm still researching what Image Processing Module A and IPM B are used for, but based on the above, IF your truck has cameras of any kind:
  • C2512B is used if you have any cameras at all. (Guessing here)
  • C2512A is for 2 cameras - confirmed above.
  • C2512 would be for 3 or more cameras, - also confirmed above.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:11 PM
1956Fatfenders
Elder User
Best I can tell without reading all 15,626 pages, by searching the Workshop Manual, (camera wise):

Image Processing Module A is a hub for Lane Departure, including the camera on the mirror and its associated heater for the windshield.

Image Processing Module B is the hub for rear camera(s), including Bliss.

While both of the modules are the source, or receiver of a huge number of sensors all over the truck, one of the two is listed on just about every other page of the trouble-shooting section.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:21 PM
IA Farmer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok Folks,

Finally some good news, 1 more piece of the puzzle solved. I have the correct harness for those of us that have the larger screen and not the LED lights or tow tech package. As soon as I get a few minutes Ill plug it in and see what happens. All the pins line up all the colors line up, so at the very least the lights will work properly. My assumption is that we will need the trim bezel and switch, maybe some forscan work.

I'm now determined!

Sarge
I DO have LED lights, so would I need a different harness then this one or is this the one I would also need? I only have the tailgate camera currently.

Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Lamp Camera