Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Towing Mirrors For A 1995 F350?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 08:47 AM
HardScrabble
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like the mirrors on my TJ Wrangler.

I have thought that something along those lines might be worthwhile for the truck. This link is just a random hit on a google search. Not the mirror that hangs down.

https://www.velvac.com/vehicle-segments/motorhome-rv

Old 10-22-2017, 03:42 PM
BreakAes
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't want to take a chance with hitting something and damaging the truck. What are my options in this case?

Will the ones FordTruckFan89 suggested work? And if so, where do I get those parts?

Velvac seems like a big name in the towing mirror space, but I've seen mixed reviews on them: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f.../tid/27124705/

Somebody posted this, but these mirrors look kind of small for towing: "FORD #FOTZ-17696-B (left) and FOTZ-17696-A (right)
MSRP $98.53 ea
Both are still available from FoMoCo."

Let me know if you have any further input, thanks.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:51 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
I would NOT be too worried about hitting something with the mirror unless you dont know how to drive in the 1st place

Old 10-23-2017, 10:47 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^^ No matter how well you drive, you're not driving every other vehicle on the road. There are streets in every city where those four-point mirrors, or their west coast equivalents, will eventually get nailed by some phone-distracted driver with bad peripheral vision. At least with the Swing-away (type #9 above) mirrors, you have the option of the "Extend-a-Mirror" arms, or mounting the heads from the four-point mirrors (see post #4).

Old 10-23-2017, 04:35 PM
BreakAes
Freshman User
Somebody said Truck Lite has the OEM gooseneck mirrors. Does somebody know the part number? There are a ton of mirrors at that site.

And do they also sell the 2 point swing-away mounts?

Do I need "Extend-A-Mirror Arms" for use with my truck camper (1996 Lance Squire 8000 which is a 10' 9" size), or just the gooseneck mirrors and the 2 point swing-away mounts?

There's a seller that has the Ford gooseneck mirrors, although one has a crack in it. He says he has: "2 of the large mirrors, 2 set of stainless mounts for the gooseneck mirrors, and 3 brackets for the other style "swing away" mirrors that the larger gooseneck mirror can bolt to."

He's asking $125 shipped for all that. I'm wondering if that's a good price, especially since one of the mirrors is cracked.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:11 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^ No matter how well you drive, you're not driving every other vehicle on the road. There are streets in every city where those four-point mirrors, or their west coast equivalents, will eventually get nailed by some phone-distracted driver with bad peripheral vision. At least with the Swing-away (type #9 above) mirrors, you have the option of the "Extend-a-Mirror" arms, or mounting the heads from the four-point mirrors (see post #4).
I'v been driving for....24 years now(legally) and have had those mirrors on at least 10 of my trucks(even the dually I got my drivers license with) and not even once have I ever gotten hit or hit anything with the tripod gooseneck mirrors. You guys are working WAY too much

Old 10-23-2017, 07:48 PM
Dean06919
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by humphrey169
I want to see the number 12 on a truck
No pictures, but my 1990 C&C dump had the type 12 mirrors.

They worked great, however, I snagged a limb on a small tree and pulled the top of the door out around a half inch.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:07 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We've had our 93 F-350 with the type 8 mirrors for over 20 years now, and the mirror has only been hit once. That one time it was actually parked the side of the street (in a legal parking spot) with traffic cones around it and someone still hit it hard enough to rip a huge hole in the door.

So yes, it can happen....but it's not as common as you might think.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:50 PM
HardScrabble
Temporarily Deactivated
Cows like to rub up against mirrors. The cows like it but the mirrors don't.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:39 PM
BreakAes
Freshman User
Somebody told me about these Chevy and Dodge mirror adapter plates for OBS Ford trucks.

I don't care how it looks. I want whatever's best for daily driving and hauling the truck camper.

Is 5280 Custom Fab the only company that makes these mirror adapters?

It looks like these are the 2 options from them:

http://www.5280customfab.com/product...vy-tow-mirrors

http://www.5280customfab.com/product...-series-bronco

Both the Chevy and Dodge mirrors look like they can swing away, just in case I were to hit something, or something were to hit the truck.

But the Chevy mirrors look like they extend, and the Dodge mirrors look like they don't. Is that true?

Is there only 1 kind of 99-07 Chevy towing mirror, and 1 kind of 94-02 Dodge towing mirror to choose from?

I measured the camper today and it's around 8' 1" wide, so I think I should have mirrors that extend.

Let me know what you think would be best for my rig, thanks.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:47 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by BreakAes
Somebody told me about these Chevy and Dodge mirror adapter plates for OBS Ford trucks.

I don't care how it looks. I want whatever's best for daily driving and hauling the truck camper.

Is 5280 Custom Fab the only company that makes these mirror adapters?

It looks like these are the 2 options from them:

http://www.5280customfab.com/product...vy-tow-mirrors

http://www.5280customfab.com/product...-series-bronco

Both the Chevy and Dodge mirrors look like they can swing away, just in case I were to hit something, or something were to hit the truck.

But the Chevy mirrors look like they extend, and the Dodge mirrors look like they don't. Is that true?

Is there only 1 kind of 99-07 Chevy towing mirror, and 1 kind of 94-02 Dodge towing mirror to choose from?

I measured the camper today and it's around 8' 1" wide, so I think I should have mirrors that extend.

Let me know what you think would be best for my rig, thanks.
They are great if you like blind spots, want to paint your doors and dont ever use the wing windows.
OH and spend $400+ on some cheap aftermarket mirror

Old 10-25-2017, 07:04 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The way those ^^^^ are set up, they do NOT decommission the wing window. Some guys have welded a whole panel in place of the wing window, which looks awful and defeats one purpose of even having an OBS. But look close at these ones, and you can see that the wing window is still functional.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:47 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
The way those ^^^^ are set up, they do NOT decommission the wing window. Some guys have welded a whole panel in place of the wing window, which looks awful and defeats one purpose of even having an OBS. But look close at these ones, and you can see that the wing window is still functional.
You must have a different designed wing window than I.

Mine flip almost 180* to draw air in the cab.
None of the Ford, GM or Dodge plastic mirrors will allow that

Old 10-26-2017, 05:37 PM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
There's a more limited range, but the wing windows do still open.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:00 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by mrollings53
There's a more limited range, but the wing windows do still open.

Unless the wing opens all the way they are prey much useless. Might as well just do away with the bar and put a one piece glass in

Quick Reply: Best Towing Mirrors For A 1995 F350?