Flashing CEL with no code - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing CEL with no code

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-19-2017, 02:53 PM
Jep85 Jep85 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9
Jep85 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Flashing CEL with no code

I have a 99 ford f350 with the v10 and 180000 miles, stock engine except for K&N filter. Around June it died and I replaced the tps and it worked for a couple months then the same problem came back. I have since replaced the tps, pigtail coming off the tps, cleaned the throttle body and MAF. Currently at the shop but they can not duplicate the problem. Always the same problem, revs up once on its own, cel starts flashing erratically and then it starts running rough. It will usually die within a minute or two after it revs up. The shop thinks it might be a gem module. Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-20-2017, 08:29 AM
Krewat's Avatar
Krewat Krewat is online now
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Long Island USA
Posts: 38,112
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
GEM shouldn't have anything to do with how the engine runs, nor the CEL light (see my signature for disclaimer)...

Check the voltage at the battery, do the headlights flicker when it's running? Sounds like electrical interference from somewhere, and the alternator having a bad diode (or many) would do drive the PCM nuts.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-20-2017, 08:37 AM
Jep85 Jep85 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9
Jep85 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krewat View Post
GEM shouldn't have anything to do with how the engine runs, nor the CEL light (see my signature for disclaimer)...

Check the voltage at the battery, do the headlights flicker when it's running? Sounds like electrical interference from somewhere, and the alternator having a bad diode (or many) would do drive the PCM nuts.
The headlights do not flicker when it happens. All other lights on the dash are solid, no other electrical problems except for a flashing cell. I checked the battery a couple days ago and got 12.5 volts with the truck off. I will retest it and the alternator this weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-20-2017, 07:07 PM
rvpuller's Avatar
rvpuller rvpuller is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Home Base Nebraska
Posts: 3,822
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jep85 View Post
The headlights do not flicker when it happens. All other lights on the dash are solid, no other electrical problems except for a flashing cell. I checked the battery a couple days ago and got 12.5 volts with the truck off. I will retest it and the alternator this weekend.
if you have been running your truck and it's 12.5 after you shut it off then you have a battery or alternator problem, battery should read 12.6 after setting over night and 14 or above right after it was shut down. After starting the voltage at the battery should be in the 14.4 range.

Denny
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-23-2017, 10:24 PM
Jep85 Jep85 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9
Jep85 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpuller View Post
if you have been running your truck and it's 12.5 after you shut it off then you have a battery or alternator problem, battery should read 12.6 after setting over night and 14 or above right after it was shut down. After starting the voltage at the battery should be in the 14.4 range.

Denny

I had the battery tested today and it came up as bad and needed replacement. Alternator was good. Replaced it tonight, hopefully it will solve the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-24-2017, 12:35 AM
rvpuller's Avatar
rvpuller rvpuller is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Home Base Nebraska
Posts: 3,822
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jep85 View Post
I had the battery tested today and it came up as bad and needed replacement. Alternator was good. Replaced it tonight, hopefully it will solve the problem.
These new trucks have so much electronics on them and they need a good clean power source, a battery is a great DC filter but if it starts going bad the electronics don't like it. We were with a couple that had a Dodge truck and the transmission was acting up and after a complete rebuild it still was doing the same thing. I turned out to be a bad alternator.

Denny
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2017, 12:06 PM
Jep85 Jep85 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9
Jep85 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpuller View Post
These new trucks have so much electronics on them and they need a good clean power source, a battery is a great DC filter but if it starts going bad the electronics don't like it. We were with a couple that had a Dodge truck and the transmission was acting up and after a complete rebuild it still was doing the same thing. I turned out to be a bad alternator.

Denny
latest update. Truck ran fine with the new battery for less than a month then it started stalling on me again. Exact same problem, truck revs once then stalls out. I have had the battery and alternator tested they came back good, shop said the starter was pulling more amps than it should when starting the truck but that wouldnt cause the truck to stall after it was already running would it?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Krewat's Avatar
Krewat Krewat is online now
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Long Island USA
Posts: 38,112
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Are there any stored codes?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-14-2017, 12:21 PM
Jep85 Jep85 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9
Jep85 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krewat View Post
Are there any stored codes?
no stored codes. I have ran my reader and the shops reader on it and there is nothing stored. I have also ran it right after it happened before I turned the key off and nothing was there.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-02-2018, 11:39 AM
Jep85 Jep85 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9
Jep85 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jep85 View Post
I have a 99 ford f350 with the v10 and 180000 miles, stock engine except for K&N filter. Around June it died and I replaced the tps and it worked for a couple months then the same problem came back. I have since replaced the tps, pigtail coming off the tps, cleaned the throttle body and MAF. Currently at the shop but they can not duplicate the problem. Always the same problem, revs up once on its own, cel starts flashing erratically and then it starts running rough. It will usually die within a minute or two after it revs up. The shop thinks it might be a gem module. Any other ideas?
Latest update. I figured out that something was causing the trucks computer to lose connection whenever the problem happened. I would run a hand held scanner as the truck was stalling or right after with the key still in the on position and the scanner would not be able to communicate the the computer. I pulled the computer out and found it had a SuperChip, on a hunch I pulled the chip out and reinstalled the computer. It has been two weeks since I have removed the chip with no problems or stalling.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-02-2018, 11:44 AM
Krewat's Avatar
Krewat Krewat is online now
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Long Island USA
Posts: 38,112
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Nice find

Yeah, I had a SuperChips in my '96 T-bird that would love to get a bad connection and hit a bump, and bang, stall. had to warranty it. Lasted forever after that.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-05-2018, 06:13 PM
maticuno's Avatar
maticuno maticuno is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: California Desert
Posts: 1,892
maticuno is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jep85 View Post
Latest update. I figured out that something was causing the trucks computer to lose connection whenever the problem happened. I would run a hand held scanner as the truck was stalling or right after with the key still in the on position and the scanner would not be able to communicate the the computer. I pulled the computer out and found it had a SuperChip, on a hunch I pulled the chip out and reinstalled the computer. It has been two weeks since I have removed the chip with no problems or stalling.
I had the identical symptoms and found the identical problem, except added on to mine was the fact the previous owner bent a capacitor over on the board when installing the Jet chip, so I had to replace the whole ECU.

Glad you got it figured out!
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gem or something else Jep85 1999 to 2016 Super Duty 8 10-24-2017 07:46 AM
93 F250 -E40D transmission problem My Nightmare Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) 10 10-10-2017 07:01 PM
TROUBLESOME code 53 Ro11y 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 3 08-21-2017 01:36 AM
Hidden codes Ro11y 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 0 08-15-2017 11:44 PM
Having Idling and Acceleration Problems 4.9 STR. 6 Bondsman Chris Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300 1 04-10-2017 09:52 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.