Sponsored by:

88 Bronco rear window stuck down!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 03:47 AM
Ryleystr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 Bronco rear window stuck down!

I just bought an 88 the back window is stuck down and the tail gate is stuck closed. I need help winter is coming!

Old 10-15-2017, 08:06 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Hopefully it's stuck down due to the safety latch being worn out. Have a friend push really hard on the drivers side of the tailgate while you try to roll the window up. If it goes up, leave it until winter passes

If you have the tailgate key make sure you try the above with both the key and the dash switch.

If it doesn't go up check fuses.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:19 AM
schwim
Junior User
You can also open the inside panel of the tailgate, unplug the motor's wiring pigtail and try to run it off of a portable drill battery to see if you can get it up. Try wiring in both directions, as one will be down and the other direction, up. If it operates off of the battery there, then you're likely dealing with one of the common failure points, like the wiring between the tailgate and quarter panel, which likes to break, the latch safety or a fuse.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:18 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
These tailgates can be a PITA- ,1 -Try and get the tailgate opened if possible-use Wd-40 in between the latch/safety etc .....I have had mine stick -use man power it will let go. The tail gates are not used often and this happens. Zombie slayer is dead on- sometimes pushing forward(person outside) and help in the rear(foot-power)back braced up to rear seat both feet on tailgate near (key hole side) may help .Caution on the person outside (TAILGATE IS HEAVY )Person outside need to operate the release/latch. Work Together push forward(KEY SIDE)--- Then pressure is applied from person inside. When mine stuck I tried for three days ,4th day she let go-(ate my Wheaties) .Dirt- Dust-grime accumulate on these gates. Wiring can be a problem as(schwim stated) also the gears are plastic and break/strip. Let us know what you find ,and if you can get the tail gate opened ,we can help with the wiring. Trust me, after many years of frustration-rewiring mine to the non-RESISTIVE setup -SANITY reins TR

Old 10-25-2017, 05:18 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Ryleystr, have you tried both the dash switch (to the right of the heater/ac control panel) and the tailgate key switch? Sometimes one will work and the other won't.

I'm pretty sure there's a fuse for the rear window, have you checked it?

Next, try putting the window up/down and listen. If you hear the motor working, but nothing happens, the motor has probably stripped the bushings. Crazy cheap to fix. Hardest part is removing the motor from the tailgate. Once you do, take the faceplate of the motor off, dump the little pieces of plastic out, drop nuts in that fit the diameter (I think 1/4 inch), until all 3 holes are filled, and screw it back together, and reassemble. You're back in business. I did this on mine and it took about an hour, and cost 15 cents.

A quick place to look is the wires that come out the driver's side of the tailgate. They get corroded and will break over time. You have to unwrap the wires.

As mentioned above, there's a safety switch that will deactivate the motor. You can bypass this by opening the tailgate and manually closing the latches on the left and right sides of the tailgate. You have to do one side 1 click, the other side 2 clicks, and then go back and do the first side 1 more click. That'll simulate it being closed and you don't have to have someone push on it. Check if it works now.

If all else fails, you'll need to take the access plate off and disconnect the window from the regulator. There's two nuts on each side that bolt the glass to some sliding arms. Remove the nuts and you can slide the glass up and access the innards. Just be careful with it since it can snap. Last thing you need is a broken window. I usually get a tall card board box, or a jack stand with a piece of wood and rest the glass on it.

You might, ultimately, just have a burned out motor. They're about $50 at most parts stores and take an hour or two to swap out.