1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Carpenter Quality Strikes Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 07:53 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Carpenter Quality Strikes Again

Just got in a new steering wheel and two repro hub caps. Given my experiences over the last 5 years, I examined them closely (being a toolmaker, and making tooling for the likes of Cummins, NTN, Enkei, and other manufacturing corporations, I like to think I know something about how a part should look).

The hub caps looked gorgeous, but were clearly labeled as coming from China. There were no serious flaws with the dies, or the resultant stamping. The polish job was quite good.

Then I went to install them. Out of thew two caps, one fit very tightly (good), while the other literally fell on, and I could shift it about almost an 1/8". Utter crap.

The steering wheel, hailing out of Taiwan, was better. While not of hardened rubber (which is a good thing), and not exactly like the original, to most folks, one couldn't tell the difference. Diameter was spot on, center hub recess was correct, and the fit on the splines was about perfect.

Then I noticed that the edge of the horn button pocket had a raised area that looks exactly like a milling divot in the mold. I can imagine that the Taiwanese machinists had an error in the program on the CNC mill, and instead of repairing the fault, just polished it and called it a "feature".

I can live with the steering wheel, as the flaw is not very noticeable, but the hub caps are another story.

Given the disastrous string of parts I have received from Carpenter's, I will call them Monday and let them know what scoundrels they are for passing off such horse hockey on the hobby. Despite their claims, they are obviously not checking the quality of the components they are farming out overseas.

I may even contact Ford, and inform them that the licensed products being purveyed by Carpenter, Mac's, and other entities, are of a seriously deficient quality, and are giving the company a bad name (the hub caps are licensed by Ford, and supposedly of a better grade).

This crap has to stop. The Early Ford V8 club has just had an article about the problems with improperly bent reproduction fuel filler tubes for early V8 automobiles. While no mention is made of the offending suppliers (no doubt because of the fact that they advertise in their magazine), the quality problems I, and no doubt many of you on this forum, are experiencing, is rampant.

I am seriously considering re-opening my machine shop to make decent parts. This isn't rocket science.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:23 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Just got through caliper'ing the lip of the hub caps. There is over 1/16" of an inch in diameter difference. One cap measures 8.934", the other comes out at 8.870".

While a hub cap is not "precision", tolerances would normally fall in the 1/64th" range or less, about .015". Certainly not .064" of an inch.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:20 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I had the same issue. I took a roll of electrical tape and ran it around that lip, then bent over the other half of the tape. 7 years later, it's holding tight. But I'll sign up if you start the class action lawsuit.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:00 AM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Think it is time we speak up to try to curb these low quality bits carrying the Offical Ford License.
A phone call may be in order.
http://www.fordrestorationparts.com/...ng_Program.pdf

They say they monitor on going quality so would not hurt maybe drop them line and let them know the Official Ford licensing means squat when the above is happening on an ongoing basis.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:46 PM
544tess
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gertie-The '49 F2
While a hub cap is not "precision", tolerances would normally fall in the 1/64th" range or less, about .015". Certainly not .064" of an inch.
May be they have carpenters making them, not machinists!

Old 10-16-2017, 12:13 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Called Carpenter's this morning, and now I feel like a heel.

I have called them before, and they have always been gracious and helpful. This call was no different, unlike my interaction with the folks at Mac's.

Spent perhaps 40 minutes on the phone with Harvey (been with Dennis from the beginning), who was very helpful. Gathered a deeper insight into the problems the parts suppliers have in getting quality parts from outside suppliers, most notably those located in the far east.

As was noted by a poster earlier, Carpenter's appears to have little influence over the level of quality from many of these people. Another problem is that when they have sourced a manufacturer here in the States, after a few years the old toolmakers who run the shops either croak or retire, then Carpenter's has to try to source the part, often being forced to look overseas. Harvey then went on to state that they are reluctant to make more parts in-house, as they are running behind on production as it is, and have been for a long time. This is a familiar story to me as a toolmaker. In my shop, we cannot take on any more work as we are unable to locate qualified machinists. The skill isn't out their as it once was, and unfortunately, it isn't getting any better.

With a better understanding of the issues Carpenter's faces, the time Harvey spent with me discussing my concerns, and the fact that DC is sending me a new fuel filler grommet, and hub cap (I am sending back the cracking grommet, and the loose cap for their inspection). I feel like a bit of a heel for getting irate. I am thinking that they really want to sell decent parts, but are only able to control what they themselves make.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:20 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Regarding the hub caps, I was informed that DC actually does check each one when they get a batch in from China.

What they do, is send the entire lot out to a local shop who then inspect them. If any are found to have dents, or other serious imperfections in the stamping, they are pitched. The caps that otherwise look good, are then checked for fit. Those that don't, and apparently it is a significant number, are then roll-formed on the lip to open up the diameter so as to fit the rim securely. Unfortunately, even after all that, some undersize ones escape. I happened to get one.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:47 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Gertie-The '49 F2
Called Carpenter's this morning, and now I feel like a heel.

I have called them before, and they have always been gracious and helpful. This call was no different, unlike my interaction with the folks at Mac's.

Spent perhaps 40 minutes on the phone with Harvey (been with Dennis from the beginning), who was very helpful. Gathered a deeper insight into the problems the parts suppliers have in getting quality parts from outside suppliers, most notably those located in the far east.

As was noted by a poster earlier, Carpenter's appears to have little influence over the level of quality from many of these people. Another problem is that when they have sourced a manufacturer here in the States, after a few years the old toolmakers who run the shops either croak or retire, then Carpenter's has to try to source the part, often being forced to look overseas. Harvey then went on to state that they are reluctant to make more parts in-house, as they are running behind on production as it is, and have been for a long time. This is a familiar story to me as a toolmaker. In my shop, we cannot take on any more work as we are unable to locate qualified machinists. The skill isn't out their as it once was, and unfortunately, it isn't getting any better.

With a better understanding of the issues Carpenter's faces, the time Harvey spent with me discussing my concerns, and the fact that DC is sending me a new fuel filler grommet, and hub cap (I am sending back the cracking grommet, and the loose cap for their inspection). I feel like a bit of a heel for getting irate. I am thinking that they really want to sell decent parts, but are only able to control what they themselves make.

Good to hear they are standing behind the product and make it right.. That counts for lots.
Customer service is what makes or breaks it. I have no problem dealing with an out fit even if I get dud every now and then if they are going to stand behind it an fix it with out a big hassle.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:16 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
The stuff DC makes in-house has been uniformly very good. I kinda have an issue with the headliner, as they say it is exact. It isn't exact, but pretty damn close.

Spent a small pile on one of their new production model 94 carbs. here a little over a month ago, and that critter is gorgeous. Looks and fits perfectly, and ran great right out of the box. Of course, DC makes them at their plant.

The fact that they are willing to discuss an issue does indeed mean a lot.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:25 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Did they pay for the return shipping?

Old 10-17-2017, 12:26 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Originally Posted by petemcl
Did they pay for the return shipping?
No, nor did I request they do so.

They did not request the faulty parts back, and left it to my discretion. I told them I would send them back, the hub cap they could send to their rework shop if so desired, and the fuel neck grommet for their inspection.

They really were not much interested in the hub cap, as they are very familiar with the problems with those parts. However, the grommet is something they thought should be investigated further. Possibly doing some sort of analysis. Whether they do such testing, or really intend to, I don't know.

The issue seems simple to me. Bring the mold back, and pour them themselves. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen given the state of manufacturing in this country, and the attitude of all too many consumers, which is to go for the lowest cost, regardless of quality. They freely admitted that most purchasers accepted poorer quality goods, and were willing to live with the consequences. They are willing to replace those faulty parts purchased by those such as me who demand better cheerfully, as I am of the minority, and it can be written off as a cost of doing business.

A sad state of affairs, but as one who has worked in manufacturing for over 40 years, a condition I am all too familiar with.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:31 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
On a side note, I received an email notification within 2 hours informing me that the replacement parts had been shipped, and will arrive tomorrow. Extremely good service I think.