Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel pump dead!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 05:24 AM
Powerßroke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump dead!!!!

Needs some help guys just replaved my fiel pump on a 01 and it lasted about 10 miles i notice everytime i turn the key on (fire up the pump) the first few seconds it would pump air then start pumping fuel. Even if it running and i shut it off and turn it back on in like 10 sec it has air.. soooo is that normal or am i lossing prime somehow also when it fires up it runs great does not lope and start like it starving of fuel... Also when it went out it almost sounded like it sucked something up maybe like it was chewing and grinding rocks or something

Old 10-13-2017, 06:20 AM
pirschwagon
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerßroke
Needs some help guys just replaved my fiel pump on a 01 and it lasted about 10 miles i notice everytime i turn the key on (fire up the pump) the first few seconds it would pump air then start pumping fuel. Even if it running and i shut it off and turn it back on in like 10 sec it has air.. soooo is that normal or am i lossing prime somehow also when it fires up it runs great does not lope and start like it starving of fuel... Also when it went out it almost sounded like it sucked something up maybe like it was chewing and grinding rocks or something
These fuel pumps are fragile. In that, they NEED fuel passing through them to assist in cooling. Their life expectancy is very short without a constant flow of fuel.

I would drop the tank, inspect, clean, do both the Hutch/Harpoon Modifications, Clean the Mixing Chamber Screens (or remove - You'll need a in-line filtration system), replace connections, O-Rings, reassemble and go from their.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:55 AM
Powerßroke
New User
Originally Posted by pirschwagon
These fuel pumps are fragile. In that, they NEED fuel passing through them to assist in cooling. Their life expectancy is very short without a constant flow of fuel.

I would drop the tank, inspect, clean, do both the Hutch/Harpoon Modifications, Clean the Mixing Chamber Screens (or remove - You'll need a in-line filtration system), replace connections, O-Rings, reassemble and go from their.
Dumb question but were can i get the orings just any parts store

Old 10-13-2017, 03:34 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Dumb question but were can i get the orings just any parts store.
__________________________________________________ ____________________
Look up Diesel O-Rings or Riff-Raff Diesel on this forum. They will take good care of you. Riff Raff is a good source for most all of your needs and also have kits for the Hutch/Harpoon mods.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:42 AM
Powerßroke
New User
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
Dumb question but were can i get the orings just any parts store.
__________________________________________________ ____________________
Look up Diesel O-Rings or Riff-Raff Diesel on this forum. They will take good care of you. Riff Raff is a good source for most all of your needs and also have kits for the Hutch/Harpoon mods.
I did the harpoon mod got rid of the quick connects only befor the pump put an inline filter and separater new carter fuel pump im gonna delete the fuel bowl seems to be better guess i could check to see if it is still pumping air at first..... I still have a issue missing and sputtering at around 2500 rpms it seems like its alot worse reving it up in neutral i did just putnew orings on 2 weeks ago unfortunately i used dorman i know i will prolly be going back in there and doing it again

Old 10-14-2017, 09:30 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
The harpoon mod is when you cut the fuel fill pipe down so you can actually fill the tank all the way. The hutch mod involves more than just replacing the QD lines with a double-clamped hose all the way from the tank to the fuel pump. There are also modifications that need to be done inside the tank, and it sounds like maybe modifications either have not been done, or have failed in some way. You need to drop your tank and see what's going on inside. No need to delete the fuel bowl either. It won't solve your problem. Never use Dorman o-rings. OEM quality only (dieselorings.com or riddraffdiesel.com) or you will just end up doing the job twice.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:59 PM
Powerßroke
New User
Originally Posted by andym
The harpoon mod is when you cut the fuel fill pipe down so you can actually fill the tank all the way. The hutch mod involves more than just replacing the QD lines with a double-clamped hose all the way from the tank to the fuel pump. There are also modifications that need to be done inside the tank, and it sounds like maybe modifications either have not been done, or have failed in some way. You need to drop your tank and see what's going on inside. No need to delete the fuel bowl either. It won't solve your problem. Never use Dorman o-rings. OEM quality only (dieselorings.com or riddraffdiesel.com) or you will just end up doing the job twice.
i did the mods in the tank... What could be going wrong inside the take is the sputter at 2500 rpm air in the fuel or a high pressure oil problem like orings

Old 10-14-2017, 09:03 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
The only real way to answer that is with a fuel pressure gauge and a tablet with torque pro or forscan on it.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:18 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerßroke
I did the harpoon mod got rid of the quick connects only befor the pump put an inline filter and separater new carter fuel pump im gonna delete the fuel bowl seems to be better guess i could check to see if it is still pumping air at first..... I still have a issue missing and sputtering at around 2500 rpms it seems like its alot worse reving it up in neutral
Take a can of clean fuel and run a hose from it to the suction side of the pump. Then you know it's getting just fuel and no air. If the sputtering at 2500 goes away you'll know it's from air in the fuel, and the leak is somewhere from the fuel pump back into the tank. Maybe dropping the tank again but all that needs to be sealed up tight. Did you remove the in tank screens?