f150 speed limits - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Presented by the all-new Yokohama
Presented by the all-new Yokohama

f150 speed limits

Old 10-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Senior User

deputydog03 is starting off with a positive reputation.
f150 speed limits

So, at work we have a 2016 and a 2017 F150. We have an issue with the 98 mph speed limits that are on the pickups. I have been curious, is there a way to override the limit? Next spring I will possibly be getting a 2018 issued to me, and I am thinking it too will be slow!
I have the forescan program with the elm327 device, is there a way to over ride the speed limit with that? Or is there a programmer out that will bump the power and speed up a little?
Old 10-11-2017, 05:25 PM
Senior User

GABAR is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputydog03 View Post
So, at work we have a 2016 and a 2017 F150. We have an issue with the 98 mph speed limits that are on the pickups. I have been curious, is there a way to override the limit? Next spring I will possibly be getting a 2018 issued to me, and I am thinking it too will be slow!
I have the forescan program with the elm327 device, is there a way to over ride the speed limit with that? Or is there a programmer out that will bump the power and speed up a little?
And what`s your profession and why would you need to go faster?

There are reasons specific vehicles are limited to a certain speed.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:32 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABAR View Post
And what`s your profession and why would you need to go faster?
Based on his username, I'd guess he's in law enforcement. How does this help the OP with his question?

Quote:
There are reasons specific vehicles are limited to a certain speed.
True, and the lowest common denominator is usually tires. I'd check the tire's speed ratings before removing the speed limiter. It would require a tuner of some flavor, but it's relatively simple to do.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:59 PM
New User

455rocket is starting off with a positive reputation.
The speed limiter keeps you from going faster than the speed rating of the tire. This is also why many tire shops won't put a tire with a lower speed rating on a car / truck than what it came with. Tires are made with a specific speed and load ratings, If you exceed either the tire can have a catastrophic failure.

With that being said, I'm sure there are some plug in tuners out there that will give you access to the speed limiter.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:00 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 455rocket View Post
The speed limiter keeps you from going faster than the speed rating of the tire. This is also why many tire shops won't put a tire with a lower speed rating on a car / truck than what it came with. Tires are made with a specific speed and load ratings, If you exceed either the tire can have a catastrophic failure.

With that being said, I'm sure there are some plug in tuners out there that will give you access to the speed limiter.
I just looked it up, the OEM tires on the F150 are "T" speed rated, which is up to 118 MPH.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:01 PM
Posting Guru

msgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to all
THis will give you an idea of what's available out there.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...keyword=Tuners

But I would suggest you discuss this with your fleet manager before you modify the vehicle. Ford is pretty tough on fleets when it comes to operating outside the scope of the vehicle design.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:57 PM
Posting Guru

92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future
Sounds like a good way to get killed or fired if you ask me.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:46 PM
Senior User

deputydog03 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes, our pickups are used for emergency services, that is where the desire for a little more speed comes from.
The way these Fords handle at high speeds we don't want to get much more out of them, but 110 would be nice. Typically on an emergency call we don't have a need for much over 100, it is too dangerous considering the few seconds that are saved in the travel time but once in a while it would be good to get a little more.
I am aware of the dangers of the tires at high speeds. I don't remember what tire we are running on the Fords, it was recommended by our tire supplier for the higher speeds we do run. We usually don't keep the factory rubber on them long after the vehicle is put in service. We also add weight to the back end of the Fords when they go into service. The light weight pickups don't handle well at all over 90 without an extra couple of hundred pounds in the box!
Thanks MSGTord, that is the information I was looking for.
I know that modifying things could void the warranty on the engine or transmission, but I am not sure how good the warranties would be to start with. Dealers have always hinted that the warranty on the engine or transmission might not be honored because of the rough service we put or pickups through.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:23 AM
Senior User

DevilDog556 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Our 2017 hits 105mph with ease...i wonder why the one you have is limited to 98...4wd?
Old 10-12-2017, 07:19 AM
Postmaster

JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.
My 2015 3.5 EB 4x4 shuts down at 105 or so.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:37 AM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
You also need to consider the driveshaft critical speed. The speed is different for each vehicle. Here is a video of what happens when you exceed that speed.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:41 AM
Senior User

DevilDog556 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
You also need to consider the driveshaft critical speed. The speed is different for each vehicle. Here is a video of what happens when you exceed that speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZXBjVIrR08

Those poor V6 mustangs saddled with Chinese driveshafts...numerous reports of them breaking on the dyno too. I wonder what ours are good for.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Based on his username, I'd guess he's in law enforcement. How does this help the OP with his question?

True, and the lowest common denominator is usually tires. I'd check the tire's speed ratings before removing the speed limiter. It would require a tuner of some flavor, but it's relatively simple to do.
Yes, I saw his username but does that automatically and 100% verify that he`s in law enforcement?

Have a great day.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABAR View Post
Yes, I saw his username but does that automatically and 100% verify that he`s in law enforcement?
That wasn't my point. Someone came on here asking a technical question looking for answers. He wasn't looking for an inquisition on his employment or driving habits.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92F350CC View Post
Sounds like a good way to get killed or fired if you ask me.
Lol...Thank you.

Removed the limiter, higher speeds are increased, aerodynamic designs are exceeded, vehicle becomes more unstable with increased air under said vehicle, driver loses control and perhaps injure or kill himself or other people, etc, etc, etc.