Sponsored by:

How much lift from airlift bags?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:19 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
How much lift from airlift bags?

Bought a new camper, little heavy on the tongue. New wd hitch and airbags are both on my list. How much of a lift, if any, are people getting from the airlift 5k kit?

My ex had a saggy *** to start with and it now has v codes with leveling leafs so it's even worse. I have 08 springs to install which should help, but wondering what the bags will do.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:49 AM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Not sure "bags" are meant to provide lift, more so they are to level the loaded truck.

Mounting air springs was the single largest improvement I made to my X for towing.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:04 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
If you buy a kit for the stock Excursion it is going to have a spring with a free length to match the travel of the stock Excursion, if you put on a longer f250 leaf spring you would need to get a longer air spring to match. What I am saying is you need to match the length of your leaf springs and your air spring.

By adding air to the air spring and increasing its spring rate it will "lift" the vehicle within the range of the leaf spring.

If your unloaded ride height is low because your leaf springs have sagged and you use the air spring to "lift" it you are going to get a harsh ride as you will have to much spring rate. This is because leaf springs do not loose spring rate as they sag, they just loose their ability to hold their arch.

Ideally, for the best ride unloaded you would use a leaf spring with more arch but a lower spring rate and then add spring rate with the air spring as you add payload.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:08 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I did a spring swap (V, Modded B) and still had a little bit of 'sag' in the back (maybe 1.5 inches)...I installed the bags in the rear...at 15psi (what I run when not towing) it takes out the .5 sag I have from the equipment I carry in the back where my 3rd row seat used to go. When I tow, I set them to 65psi and the rear end raises about 1.5"...and when I set the trailer on the ball, that 1.5" goes away.

It's true they are more for stiffening the suspension, they do raise as a result. I pull 7500lbs trailers and I have a level ride and the rear doesn't sag or bounce, so it works great for me.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:02 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Yeah I understand they aren't meant to lift, I just remembered a thread on here where people said they ended up getting an inch or so lift on them.

As far as the springs being taller, my understanding from air lift is that the bags are all the same they just have taller bases (Essentially spacers) you buy if you need them.

The old 7k camper wasn't too bad but the new one is 12 max and 8500 right now (although less tongue weight loaded because it's a toy hauler) and it definitely needs more support.

I guess I'll proceed with the spring and hanger swap and see where it gets me then order the bag and spacer combo I need. I think I'm gonna add a hellwig rear bar as well.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Prescott
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a travel trailer with a fairly heavy tongue as well. It squatted my Excursion pretty badly. I was shopping for springs, helpers, and maybe air bags too. So, I got a weight distribution hitch. After spending a little time getting it properly adjusted, I realized that was all I needed. The sway control alone makes it worth while, but it reduces squat a bunch! Set up your WD hitch before making your next purchase.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:29 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
My current 10k/1k Reese wd hitch is maxed out, giving all it can give and it's not enough. The truck needs to be somewhat level to start with for a wd hitch to work correctly, so I need to get level before the new hitch (probably a Reese straight line 12k) will be worth much. Like I said, I'm saggy stock springs out back and v codes with leveling leafs up front. It's at least 2" low in back even unloaded. Probably more.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:38 PM
metru
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you definently want to get some new springs in the back if your sagging when unloaded before planing out the new air stuff