Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 E4OD question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:12 PM
Deep_six_mechanic
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E4OD question.

Now before I get flagged I’ve been going through and reading the E4OD threads and I haven’t found much info on this problem.

So I’m having code 628 Excessive converter clutch slippage and I’m honestly not to sure on what hat really means. I read something about it being a bad solenoid pack but I couldn’t find a concrete answer.

Heres the symptoms
hard shift all gears
shifting into reverse it hits really hard
clear the code and the transmission shifts like a dream
has taken 50-500 miles before the hard shifts come back.

What ive done
full fluid change including torque converter and cooler
new filter
lucas transmission additive.

So what ya think my issue is?

Old 10-10-2017, 09:51 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
In summary,it simply means the computer has sensed that the converter has unlocked,under conditions when it shouldn't have.
That code by itself however,leaves you hanging to figure out why.
9.9 times out of 10 an electrical issue has caused the converter to unlock,rather than an actual mechanical failure being the cause.

The hard shifts are not the fault per say of this code alone but the default safety programming the PCM goes to,when it's senses a code and causes the OD cancel light to flash.These firm shifts don't in any way indicate a bigger problem.The reason why the firm shifts go away after clearing the code is because it longer has the memory of the stored code and doesn't know yet,until driven again (it takes a few times for the PCM to sense the issue) that it needs to go into limp mode.

Though there can be several reasons for the converter slip code,very often a dirty/faulty connection at the bulkhead is the issue and always the best place to start.

Click here:
E40D: The Importance Of A Clean Trans Harness

Though the slip code for those trucks is a simple two digit 62 code,the same info applies.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:55 PM
Deep_six_mechanic
New User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
In summary,it simply means the computer has sensed that the converter has unlocked,under conditions when it shouldn't have.
That code by itself however,leaves you hanging to figure out why.
9.9 times out of 10 an electrical issue has caused the converter to unlock,rather than an actual mechanical failure being the cause.

The hard shifts are not the fault per say of this code alone but the default safety programming the PCM goes to,when it's senses a code and causes the OD cancel light to flash.These firm shifts don't in any way indicate a bigger problem.The reason why the firm shifts go away after clearing the code is because it longer has the memory of the stored code and doesn't know yet,until driven again (it takes a few times for the PCM to sense the issue) that it needs to go into limp mode.

Though there can be several reasons for the converter slip code,very often a dirty/faulty connection at the bulkhead is the issue and always the best place to start.

Click here:
E40D: The Importance Of A Clean Trans Harness

Though the slip code for those trucks is a simple two digit 62 code,the same info applies.
thanks I will definitely check out that plug and add dielectric grease.

Im just hoping is a simple fix.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:38 AM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
You might want to look at the plug on the right side of the transmission, for the solenoid pack. It points up from the case, near the rear edge of the pan. You will have to remove a metal heat shield to get to it.

IF that plug is wet with transmission fluid, you'll need to replace the solenoid pack. The seal in the plug breaks down, lets fluid iinto that area around the pins and causes malfunctions like you're experiencing.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:45 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Take a look at the front of the torque converter. You'll have to remove the dust shield on the bellhousing to see it. Almost certainly the front of the converter has some blueing, similar to what you'd see on a blued steel pistol. That indicates that the converter has been slipping. That is caused by a crack in the torque converter clutch apply piston. That bleeds of pressure and allows the converter to slip. The only fix is a new torque converter.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:54 PM
ChRoNo16
Senior User
These harnesses are very well known for falling apart, its a very thin gauge wire. my brother had to completely rewire his BE CAREFUL

Old 10-17-2017, 09:59 AM
Deep_six_mechanic
New User
Well I cleaned up the harness connector, had some fluid in side.

I also ran a torque converter test and it kickes in at 2k with no slippage. I’m also getting some torque shutter at 40-45mph.

So so now the question: to change the converter or the solenoid pack?

Old 10-17-2017, 10:01 AM
Deep_six_mechanic
New User
Also my OD light has never flashed during this whole ordeal

Old 10-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Deep_six_mechanic
I also ran a torque converter test and it kickes in at 2k with no slippage.
Can you describe this test that you ran? I have no idea what this means.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:48 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
If you have ATF down inside the solenoid pack connector,then you'll need to replace the pack,no matter what you do,short of replacing the whole trans so you can safely replace that and see what happens.You can get remans on ebay.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:58 PM
Deep_six_mechanic
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
it’s especially a brake stand. Mash brake to the floor and see what RPMs tires spin at. It kicked in right at 2k.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:00 PM
Deep_six_mechanic
New User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
If you have ATF down inside the solenoid pack connector,then you'll need to replace the pack,no matter what you do,short of replacing the whole trans so you can safely replace that and see what happens.You can get remans on ebay.
ok will do then go from there. Thanks, I kind of needed a nail in the coffin

Old 10-17-2017, 10:02 PM
Deep_six_mechanic
New User

heres where i got the idea from

Torque Converter Problems: Signs, Causes, & Replacement

Old 10-18-2017, 07:38 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Deep_six_mechanic
it’s especially a brake stand. Mash brake to the floor and see what RPMs tires spin at. It kicked in right at 2k.
That checks stall speed. It has nothing to do with the torque converter clutch, so it can't detect if the clutch is slipping or not.

I recommend you try this:

Take a look at the front of the torque converter. You'll have to remove the dust shield on the bellhousing to see it. Almost certainly the front of the converter has some blueing, similar to what you'd see on a blued steel pistol. That indicates that the converter has been slipping. That is caused by a crack in the torque converter clutch apply piston. That bleeds of pressure and allows the converter to slip. The only fix is a new torque converter.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Deep_six_mechanic
New User
Thumbs up

That checks stall speed. It has nothing to do with the torque converter clutch, so it can't detect if the clutch is slipping or not.

I recommend you try this:
thanks Ive never really worked on transmissions so it’s a steep learning curve for me

Quick Reply: 1994 E4OD question.