7.3 throwing codes..stuck 1200 miles from home! - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7.3 throwing codes..stuck 1200 miles from home!

Old 10-12-2017, 07:04 AM
Post Fiend

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
The center pin problem was on a different truck, I just used it as an example of what can cause woes and what to look for when trying to "fix" a UVCH as opposed to replacing the hardware.

The fifty cent fail was on my truck, and it caused issues. I ultimately replaced both UVCHs, and the new stuff is a complete repair. The old UVCH fit so sloppy that it takes a coin as large and thick as a quarter to wedge it in there? Once I installed the new UVCH, it wasn't "Gee, I hope that holds" like the quarter was. It was more along the line of "Crap! I hope I never have to take that apart again, because that beach is on there."

One cardinal rule of electricity and electronics: Secure connections work, un-secure connections cause problems - sooner or later. In my career and personal exploits, I have seen countless examples of stuff fried by poor electrical connection. Just this summer... not only did my boat stall because of a loose wire, but it fried the relay that was powering that wire.

That center pin on the VC gasket was fried by a loose connection, and the whole thing needed to be replaced - along with the UVCH. I'll never say the fifty-cent mod doesn't work. Like you say, people have been using it for years. I'll just say I don't like digging in to get at the IDM, nor do I like the cost of a used IDM vs. a new UVCH.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:55 AM
Elder User

DND58 has a very good reputation on FTE.DND58 has a very good reputation on FTE.DND58 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
Once I installed the new UVCH, it wasn't "Gee, I hope that holds" like the quarter was. It was more along the line of "Crap! I hope I never have to take that apart again, because that beach is on there."
The new UVCH was a new Ford OEM harness or some other flovor?
Old 10-12-2017, 08:11 AM
Post Fiend

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
I've worked with OEM and the one from or friends to the far East... they both fit much better than the aged hardware.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:41 AM
Posting Guru

bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post

One cardinal rule of electricity and electronics: Secure connections work, un-secure connections cause problems
In the electrical trade there is a saying: "loose wires start fires".
Old 10-12-2017, 03:39 PM
Athletic Supporter

coax9952 has a good reputation on FTE.coax9952 has a good reputation on FTE.
What Tug said...I know that .50 will get you home, but I tend to lose sleep if I start dreaming about future failure. If it's old enough to fail once, It will fail again somewhere else.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Proud Sheepdog

Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
I am very happy with my Dorman replacements that ELIMINATED that connection all together. After buying them, I inspected the wiring and connector, and I was happy with the build quality. I have repaired more wiring and connectors in my life than I care to reflect on, and these did not make me feel uneasy at all after handling and inspecting them. I fully expect them to last the rest of the life of my engine/truck.