Sponsored by:

Ignition issues...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:40 AM
Jsugarlog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition issues...

Ok, I'm going to explain this the best I can, hopefully it makes sense. So I bought my bronco from a towing yard, it had been impounded by some kid who never came and picked it up again. And by the time I got it, the guy at the yard had to redo the ignition because someone stole the keys while it was in the yard. So they drilled out the original key lock and put a new one in. But they must have screwed something up and had to put a switch in the dash, as the starter switch. So you put the key in, turn it to on, then hit the switch to start the engine. Seems simple right. Then my stupid actuator broke. So for a couple months I just pushed the rod with my fingers and hit the start switch. Then I finally decided to get another accuator switch. So I tore apart all that I had to to get to the accuator and put the new one in. I didn't modify it like some people do, to slide it in so they don't have to take the whole thing apart. And now, no matter how I put the thing together, I turn the key about an inch and it's on. Then in order to put it back on lock I have to pull the thing on the bottom that you're supposed to pull to use the accessories. And turning it backwards doesn't pull it enough to turn on accessories. So I'm wondering if there is a way to adjust the length of pull in the rod? Or maybe I screwed something up when I spent that month pulling it by hand. Any suggestions would be great. It might be something simple and stupid I didn't notice. And if I didn't clarify something, just let me know! Thanks!

Old 09-30-2017, 09:31 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
First off, welcome to FTE and the Big Bronco Forum. We will endeavor to get you most accurate information we can.

In this particular instance though, it would be most helpful to know what vintage (year) you are dealing with. The actuator arm inside the 87-91 columns is known to be a PITA and a source of recurring failure but, again, I am guessing here. Help us help you. Give us some specific information about the Bronco you are dealing with.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:22 AM
Jsugarlog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greystreak92
First off, welcome to FTE and the Big Bronco Forum. We will endeavor to get you most accurate information we can.

In this particular instance though, it would be most helpful to know what vintage (year) you are dealing with. The actuator arm inside the 87-91 columns is known to be a PITA and a source of recurring failure but, again, I am guessing here. Help us help you. Give us some specific information about the Bronco you are dealing with.
Yes, sorry i have forgotten to mention what year! it is an 89 xlt model.