Break in Last Week - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break in Last Week

Old 09-25-2017, 10:05 AM
Elder User

LiquidSteam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Break in Last Week

A few months back my neighbors and I (5 total that I know of) all had our cars broken into in our driveways. This was before I had the new Ford. The thief got 1 neighbors purse and some coins from another, we had nothing stolen. Knowing I would be parking the Ford outside the garage I decided to install a motion light and video camera for security. Didn't expect to have it tested so soon......

FORTUNATELY we did not have anything stolen. A different neighbor this time had her purse stolen unfortunately. I had accidentally left my doors unlocked which turned out to be a good thing in this case as I was able to capture the event on video. I think if the door was locked he would have just moved on out of sight of the camera. I'm not sure if it was the motion spot lights or just his M.O. but he was in and out quickly. Console check and quick glance above the dash and done. Didn't even check the glove compartment or the bottom compartment of the console. Maybe he didn't even know the bottom compartment existed. He would have hit the mother load had he opened that compartment. ugh. It appeared he was just looking for cash/wallet/purse etc. Something quick.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:22 AM
Senior User

ctimrun is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow I hate thieves. Glad to hear you didn’t have any loss or damage.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:52 AM
Post Fiend

EpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant future
Interesting that the motion light didn't slow down him down. It's a proven truth however that door locks will deter most thieves by a large margin. Looks like that guy would have just moved on if the door was locked. Everyone can do themselves a favor by just getting in the habit of locking doors EVERY TIME. That goes for house, garage, man doors and windows. It's the world we live in.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:53 AM
Senior User

F250Smitty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ballsy SOB, Nothing worse than a thief. Glad he didn't get anything of value or damage your truck!
Old 09-25-2017, 11:01 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick View Post
Interesting that the motion light didn't slow down him down. It's a proven truth however that door locks will deter most thieves by a large margin. Looks like that guy would have just moved on if the door was locked. Everyone can do themselves a favor by just getting in the habit of locking doors EVERY TIME. That goes for house, garage, man doors and windows. It's the world we live in.

Agreed. I need to get into that habit. I grew up in a small farm town and never locked doors on cars or our house. Now I live in a small city and good security habits are being force fed to me. For example I left the house at 0515 today and upon opening the house door to the garage I realized we left the garage roll up door open all night ... !!!

I actually did remove all personal info from the truck, the owners book package, as well as the garage door opener. I guess they can steal my kids radios or DVD players if so desired lol
Old 09-25-2017, 11:02 AM
Post Fiend

69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick View Post
They should also be in the habit of not leaving valuables in a vehicle. Especially. if in sight.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:08 AM
Elder User

I thought about adding a couple of security contacts from the house system to the doors of the truck. Although I don't really want to be awoken at 4am to the alarm siren going off but it would call the police and maybe could catch the guy?

I'm sure since he was successful in the neighborhood the last 2 times he'll probably be back at some point. Yes, I am assuming its the same guy.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:13 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
They should also be in the habit of not leaving valuables in a vehicle. Especially. if in sight.

Right. I am sure everyone has some dumb reason or excuse why they left their valuables in the car the time it was stolen.... both my neighbors had long convoluted stories.... my wife also had a purse stolen from a vehicle with the window rolled down years ago.

bad habits.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:43 AM
Senior User

CRSFX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had same thing happen in my neighborhood couple years ago. We have an older SUV that the wife drives for school carpool and the passenger door lock actuator had gone out (have to reach over and lock/unlock by hand), and that 1 door was unlocked. They got a few coins and a $50 pair of sunglasses. Cops came and took report (we called only because they had hit several cars, was not worth filing an insurance claim) but we never heard anything else about it......low priority crime.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:23 PM
Senior User

texrdnec is starting off with a positive reputation.
in TX you could have shot the thieving SOB
Old 09-25-2017, 12:37 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSFX4 View Post
Had same thing happen in my neighborhood couple years ago. We have an older SUV that the wife drives for school carpool and the passenger door lock actuator had gone out (have to reach over and lock/unlock by hand), and that 1 door was unlocked. They got a few coins and a $50 pair of sunglasses. Cops came and took report (we called only because they had hit several cars, was not worth filing an insurance claim) but we never heard anything else about it......low priority crime.

I felt obligated to file a report and turn in the video because my neighbor had her purse stolen. Doubt we'll ever hear anything from it.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:38 PM
New User

orion1968 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you had locked your truck would the alarm have gone off when they tried to open the door?
Old 09-25-2017, 01:54 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion1968 View Post
If you had locked your truck would the alarm have gone off when they tried to open the door?

Unfortunately no.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:56 PM
Postmaster

wb6anp has a very good reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a very good reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a very good reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a very good reputation on FTE.
Should have the spot light that alarms on your phone, then you can talk to them and tell them you are watching and recording.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:04 PM
New User

Stroking along is starting off with a positive reputation.
What do you mean "he would have hit the mother load had he opened that compartment'?
You don't keep your fob there do you?