Guess I'm Getting old... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Guess I'm Getting old...

Old 09-19-2017, 07:24 PM
dbraynor
Junior User
dbraynor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Guess I'm Getting old...

Just washed Big Gold Truck and I am spent. Got all the Irma grime off, brake dust off, and Absorber dry with Turtle wax as you dry spray (Wally World doesn't carry Eagle Wax as u dry my all time favorite any more). Wax as u dry after all washes over a coat of Rejex applied week one. Had 99.5' CC 4X4 7.3L and 02' X 7.3L 4X4 at same time and used to wash them both at the same time same procedure, but this truck just kicked my butt tonight.....must be getting old or fatigue from pre-post Irma. Anyone else getting tired washing these?

Old 09-19-2017, 07:56 PM
cficare
Posting Guru
cficare has a good reputation on FTE.cficare has a good reputation on FTE.
What? We gotta' buy 'em, feed 'em, insure 'em and maintain 'em! Are you sayin' we gotta wash 'em, too? Never ends, does it?

Old 09-19-2017, 08:11 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
Coming from a younger guy.... You're not wrong. There's just a boat load of truck to wash. I just waxed mine last weekend with a Carnuba Polymer wax, really kicked my a s s.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:35 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Posting Guru
Paw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dbraynor View Post
Just washed Big Gold Truck and I am spent. Got all the Irma grime off, brake dust off, and Absorber dry with Turtle wax as you dry spray (Wally World doesn't carry Eagle Wax as u dry my all time favorite any more). Wax as u dry after all washes over a coat of Rejex applied week one. Had 99.5' CC 4X4 7.3L and 02' X 7.3L 4X4 at same time and used to wash them both at the same time same procedure, but this truck just kicked my butt tonight.....must be getting old or fatigue from pre-post Irma. Anyone else getting tired washing these?
Washing my truck in 91 degree weather with high humidity will kick anybody's butt. Wax job will wait until November when temps may drop down a bit. I'll be 70 in November so yes these large trucks will wear you out! So glad I bought the easy to maintain White Gold.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:44 PM
leejk
Senior User
leejk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Has anyone tried these new foam cannons on their truck? Curious to know if they work.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:47 PM
BowtieConvert
Elder User
BowtieConvert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My last detail turned into a two day event. Made the mistake of starting the brews before the task at hand was complete. Used to be able to power through that in my younger days but evidently not any more. I'm 59 so I guess I am getting old, but it beats the alternative.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:48 PM
honda250xtitan
Senior User
honda250xtitan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Tricon View Post
Coming from a younger guy.... You're not wrong. There's just a boat load of truck to wash. I just waxed mine last weekend with a Carnuba Polymer wax, really kicked my a s s.
i haven't had the motivation to wax mine yet....i'm coming from 6 years of waxing a white crew cab titan. These fords have a TON of sheetmetal lol. i'm only (?) 27 lol.

Originally Posted by leejk View Post
Has anyone tried these new foam cannons on their truck? Curious to know if they work.
apparently they are awesome, especially when used with pressure washers. personally buying a new long handle brush a couple times a year is good enough for me though.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:49 PM
RainDesert
Posting Guru
RainDesert has a good reputation on FTE.RainDesert has a good reputation on FTE.RainDesert has a good reputation on FTE.
Guess I'm getting old because I think these new SD's are too tall and mine is the first truck that I have ever lowered from the factory. And yes I get tired of washing mine all the time but I've always done it so for me it's just part of my truck life.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Posting Guru
Paw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to behold
I've had good luck using this concentrate wash & wax. I use a designated bush and sponge to wash and then clean towels to dry.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:00 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BowtieConvert View Post
My last detail turned into a two day event. Made the mistake of starting the brews before the task at hand was complete. Used to be able to power through that in my younger days but evidently not any more.
I've made that mistake more then once!! Hope everything is OK after the storm...looks like Puerto Rico is getting ready to get hammered from Cat 5 Maria. Took a ride to Lafitte this evening and ended up buying 100 lbs of shrimp for the family.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:06 PM
wb6anp
Postmaster
wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.
Having a topper makes it that much worse. A lot more paint to wash and wax. and more windows to keep clean. And yes I need a new picture

Old 09-19-2017, 09:15 PM
Tomc750
Senior User
Tomc750 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Smile

Originally Posted by dbraynor View Post
You are in good company my friend. Just washed the 450 with tow body, next time I may have to borrow son's man lift, sure would make it easier to reach some of it, and at 77, well, lots of washing experience does not make it easier.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:29 AM
BowtieConvert
Elder User
BowtieConvert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Paw's 150 Lariat View Post
I've made that mistake more then once!! Hope everything is OK after the storm...looks like Puerto Rico is getting ready to get hammered from Cat 5 Maria. Took a ride to Lafitte this evening and ended up buying 100 lbs of shrimp for the family.
We are fine, no damage to anyone or property. Just made a mess and we have 3 or 4 more trees leaning over we need to get removed. Lost power for 4 days (6 last year after Matthew). I missed going to Barataria this year but counting my blessings after dodging another storm bullet. I think I'll move to Idaho!

Old 09-20-2017, 07:48 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
I wash mine weekly and yes, it will wear you out. The worst part for me is moving around the 6' ladder. I'm 6' tall and can't reach half of the wash area and drying the truck is usually where I get "dang, almost done" thoughts.

If you wipe/clean all the doors, doorjams, kick panels, tailgate sides you're doing a 1.5 hour washing.

Waxing takes me an entire day.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:24 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Washing my F-350 is indeed tiring. Driving to the car wash, running the vacuum for no more than a minute, removing the antenna, relaxing while the truck is moved through the car wash and then - gasp! - hitting select spots with the drying towel and putting the antenna back on. It's enough to wear a man out.

Seriously, the local car wash does a great job. Their underbody blaster gets the underside far cleaner than I could with just a hose. The water here is quite hard so it is difficult for me to wash the vehicle and not get spots. The car wash results in no spots.

Detailing with clay bar, polish and wax is a different matter. I do that myself and that is indeed a lengthy task.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guess I'm Getting old...

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.