Sponsored by: DP Tuner

question on transmission vendors mentioned on FTE

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 09:52 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
question on transmission vendors mentioned on FTE

I would like to throw something out there on the replacement transmission vendors..

We all know of John Woods in Calif and Brian Truck Shop in Arkansas which is still some 15+ hrs from me in NC..

I see ads for dieselsite in Ocala Florida, now this is like 8 hrs and Florida is a place we tend go for vacations.

I know they have a HD rebuilt r4100 trans that is good as, or better than, JW and BTS but don't see them mentioned as often as the JW BTS products when the question comes up about transmissions replacements..

SO, Seeing how they are closer to me, what is the verdict on their build of the r4100 for towing etc. when compared to the "bench mark" guys JW BTS.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:09 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I have no knowledge on the subject but after my 8 years + on this site I have never heard of anything "as good or better" than a BTS or John Woods tranny.

I will get a BTS some day as long as he is still in business.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:07 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Dieselsite has a pretty good reputation with all his other products.
Based on that, I wouldn't be afraid to run one of his trannies; or should I say transmissions?

Old 09-17-2017, 05:53 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
I've never used a Dieselsite transmission, or a BTS or John Woods trans, either. I've spoken with Bob Riley, who owns Dieselsite. I'm convinced he knows what he is doing with the 4R100. I believe they are built right and tested, too.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:17 AM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
I agree I have email him and got good answers as well.. Hope to make the trip to Ocala in the next couple years to get a NEW rebuilt dieselsite r4100 trans.. current unit is doing fine and I don't use it a lot during the year.. (7k a year) just want to take care of the trans issue before going full time RV in 2ish yrs.

Just wondering why JW and BTS get all the fame, not saying they are not on the top of the heap, just trying not have a long drive to somewhere remote (BTS) to get quality product.

You just don't hear a lot of guys with Bobs trans vs JW or BTS on the forums I see.

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I've never used a Dieselsite transmission, or a BTS or John Woods trans, either. I've spoken with Bob Riley, who owns Dieselsite. I'm convinced he knows what he is doing with the 4R100. I believe they are built right and tested, too.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:22 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by carl2591
I know they have a HD rebuilt r4100 trans that is good as, or better than, JW and BTS
Can you share with the rest of us how you "know" this?

Old 09-18-2017, 08:34 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Hope to make the trip to Ocala in the next couple years to get a NEW rebuilt dieselsite r4100 trans..
Ask for a 4R100 instead of a r4100. There is no r4100 transmission.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:26 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
that might be a good thing.. the r4100 is a "special" unit vs the 4r100 somehow.
roger that..

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Ask for a 4R100 instead of a r4100. There is no r4100 transmission.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:29 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
a figure of speach.. as in I "know" you have a ford cause you say so on your sig but I don't "know" you persay. so I know they advertise the fact they have a HD
trans for the 4r100 ford.

so now you "know"

Originally Posted by andym
Can you share with the rest of us how you "know" this?

Old 09-18-2017, 07:59 PM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Carl, just to give you more options and maybe one a little closer to you, look up A1 performance transmissions of Ga Inc. located in Flowery Branch Ga. They are North of Atlanta. I have not used them personally but a friend of mine did but sold his truck about 2.5 years after the rebuild. He was really impressed with the shop(couldn't quit talking about the place) and it did shift very firm and he drove it pretty hard at times towing a fiver around.

The guy started building the 4R100 trans for the Ford Lightning trucks to hold well over 1000 HP. He builds them specifically for diesel applications also to what ever HP/Torque your truck can produce.

Not sure of the warranty as my friend never had a problem.

Just giving you some more reading material. I looked for a web site but could only find a facebook page for them. Might be worth a look anyhoo.

Good Luck!

Old 09-18-2017, 08:00 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
What's Bob's warranty on the transmission? There have been several who were more than knowledgeable and even inventive on the transmissions (remember Racer X and the cure for the E4OD?), but how they stand behind their warranty is what tends to elevate some to the top of the list over others.

David Lott's not too shabby at building transmissions either, but his warranty doesn't compare to BTS. I think that's why you hear about BTS being the go to place on the forums.

The really good builders have built, and blown up more transmissions than you can count. Some have decided to base builds off horsepower based on what they've learned. Others just go full build all the time no matter what. The Ford HD4r100 isn't a terrible option either.

You don't have to go to BTS or JW. The key is to understand what you're getting when you buy one and where their experience comes from and how it translates into how you will be using it.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:35 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
in an email exchange with dan at diesel site he stated it was

Warranty- we offer 2 year, unlimited mileage.

so with all things being equal, I think JW and BTS are lifetime to original person? make them a better overall deal.

Originally Posted by F350-6
What's Bob's warranty on the transmission? There have been several who were more than knowledgeable and even inventive on the transmissions (remember Racer X and the cure for the E4OD?), but how they stand behind their warranty is what tends to elevate some to the top of the list over others.

David Lott's not too shabby at building transmissions either, but his warranty doesn't compare to BTS. I think that's why you hear about BTS being the go to place on the forums.

The really good builders have built, and blown up more transmissions than you can count. Some have decided to base builds off horsepower based on what they've learned. Others just go full build all the time no matter what. The Ford HD4r100 isn't a terrible option either.

You don't have to go to BTS or JW. The key is to understand what you're getting when you buy one and where their experience comes from and how it translates into how you will be using it.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:09 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
I bought a 4R100 from DieselSite maybe 10 years ago, when they were offering a trans called the "MonsterBox". It was spec'ed by Greg Evans I believe and assembled by Jasper. Mine, has been flawless for over 200k miles.

If I needed another 4R100, I wouldn't hesitate to get one from Bob again.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:41 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
in an email exchange with dan at diesel site he stated it was

Warranty- we offer 2 year, unlimited mileage.

so with all things being equal, I think JW and BTS are lifetime to original person? make them a better overall deal.
If I have 160/80 injectors and am putting down 350+ RWHP, does that warranty still stand?

Old 09-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Just wondering why JW and BTS get all the fame,
Years of trial and error breaking things, then doing custom machine work on various internals to help create a stronger transmission.

Plus, they continue to make them one at a time, not several at a time, so the quality control is much better.

John told me one time that if he produced transmissions per day at the same rate ATS does, then his quality would invariably suffer too, since he wouldn't be the only one building the trans.

But basically, in my opinion, it comes down to the custom machine work they both do to the hard parts.

Stewart

Quick Reply: question on transmission vendors mentioned on FTE