Need a shop vac that can pick up gravel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Reload this Page >

Need a shop vac that can pick up gravel

Notices
Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 11:40 AM
afinepoint
Posting Guru
afinepoint is starting off with a positive reputation.

My old 4 HP Shop vac has done well over the years but can not pull gravel all the way into the canister. It stops part way down the hose. We are installing a patio and there are small piles of #27 here and there. Small meaning handfuls.

I have seen the commercial machines but have no intention of spending in the high hundreds or more.

Since my 4 Hp almost gets it I was wondering if the 6.5 Home Improvement store models might work.

Thanks

Old 09-14-2017, 03:47 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.
I have a Shopvac 6.5 hp. It picks up bolts and crap I never thought it could

Old 09-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Aftrmidnite
Posting Guru
Aftrmidnite is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Craftsman vacs, hands down. When I did computer room service, we used them to pull Glycol out of piping and condensers for repairs. Have a 12 gallon one at work that's taken a beating, with no problems. Have a 16 gallon at home from 1999, but it won't take a bag. Bought a 12 gallon, so I could use a bag. Boiler cleaning company at work uses two 16 gallon Craftsman in series to clean our oil boilers, said it's amazing how much abuse they take. I've also have used the 16 gallon to pull river rock out of the grass that was misplaced from plowing after a snow storm.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:37 PM
afinepoint
Posting Guru
afinepoint is starting off with a positive reputation.
The 6.5 HP Ridgid does the job. It pulls up #27 gravel through grass.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:25 PM
kendall69
Senior User
kendall69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Agree Rigid. I had a sewer drain that was filled with gravel down about 10 feet. I duct tapped a 2" PCV pipe tp the end of the hose and it sucked that drain clean of sand and gravel.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:06 PM
daveengelson
Post Fiend
daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.
I have not kept up with Sears Craftsman tool status; having said that; installed a 75 foot retaining wall which consisted 8 individual 3' by 6' holes to set I-Beams in concrete however rains came in the interim leaving approx. 1 ft of dirt and drain rock at the bottom of these holes. The material had to be removed before the project could proceed and out of desperation decided to try my Craftsman 6 hp shop vac and found it sucked up all the mud and drain rock in a relatively short period of time, although did go thru a couple of filters.