It won't be long now...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:35 PM
maxtor
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It won't be long now...

I took our 434cj over to the Dyno shop today. They just finished running a 302 Ford that they built for a customer and it made 272 hp at 5500 rpm. He said that it probably will be Wednesday before everything is ready to make a pull. I will take some pictures of it on the dyno. Hopefully it comes off the dyno with no extra holes in it. Our 434scj is sitting in the corner of the shop, wanting to be built. It needs to go into a project. Any guesses as to what the dyno sheet will say??? I hope H: but G: would be ok 599 would be painful.
A: 425 hp
B: 450 hp
C: 475 hp
D: 500 hp
E: 525 hp
F: 550 hp
G: 575 hp
H: 600 hp
I: 625 hp

Old 06-09-2009, 02:50 PM
FFR428
Needsmorecoffee.

Hey nice progress Lloyd. Hope she's a high roller on the dyno. I'll go with J.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:31 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Shoot ..I'am gonna have too look the build back up again and see..I forgot what the specs were!

G, you have to change your Sig, Now !! your not building a 452"er anymore !

Old 06-09-2009, 04:47 PM
maxtor
Posting Guru

Well,,, I have good news and bad news... I just came from the dyno shop. The good news is the engine does not have any unusual holes in it.
The bad news is that with our externally balanced engine they welded a weight on a flywheel which would match the weight on our flex plate. At 6382 rpm the weight flew off. So at 6382 rpm we are at 587.7 hp and 474.0 torque. Maximum torque was 508.9 @ 4600 rpm.
Anyway we are not doing another pull. Tomorrow the engine comes home and into the Falcon.
The old mildly built 428scj made 460 n.a. hp.
The 428scj was 460 hp with a 200 shot of nitrous which made it 660 hp
The new 434 is at least 587 hp with a 200 hp shot of nitrous would make it a 787 hp engine. " at least to 6382 rpm."

Old 06-09-2009, 05:40 PM
FFR428
Needsmorecoffee.

That's a nice pull Lloyd. Congrats it's a screamer!

Old 06-09-2009, 06:36 PM
maxtor
Posting Guru

Barry is sure doing something right. His 434 made 678 hp. Even if ours did not throw the flywheel weight and we got it up to 6500-6800 rpm, I am sure that it would not have been near his numbers. Maybe 600 hp, but now we will never know. I don't want to pay extra for them to pull everything apart and put a new weight on the flywheel. We will see what the car turns at the track, and that will be a good indicator of how much hp is to the ground.
Pictures below.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...p?albumid=1934

Old 06-10-2009, 05:51 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Well all in all Lloyd thats an outstanding build tho... I was guessing 550 to 575hp...and I dont see why 600hp would be out of the question at all... Congrats !! The only thing that still scares me is the 200 shot of giggle gas !! on the bottom end and the cam tunnel....But I hope you prove me wrong ! LOL...

Glenn 454" Tunnel port Just rolls of the tounge ! Getter done....

Old 06-10-2009, 06:08 AM
Barry_R
Senior User
Thats one damn good running piece. Be proud. Every dyno is different and I suspect you were gonna go well over 600. That sucker's gonna fly.

Don't use an Engine Masters build as comparison - especially that one. It had more tricks than a Vegas magician convention - ranging from the nicest BT medium riser heads I ever had, to custom 2" journal 6.7 rods, to super low tension .043 ring pack. And much more. Still the highest power/cube pump gas N/A motor I've done...

Old 06-10-2009, 11:11 AM
maxtor
Posting Guru

Thanks all; but the complements should go to Kieth Craft, Edelbrock, Summit, and our bank account for getting me the good parts. All that I did was to bolt them together.
And I thank Barry for removing my fears about the rods being to tight a clearance.

I plan to use only enough nitrous to run 10.1 to 10.3 in the 1/4 mile, but my nitrous system is set up to use 100 to 200 hp shots. So first I will run without nitrous and see what it turns, then add just enough nitrous to reach my goals.
At the present rate, our car might not be finished before the end of this season. It still needs new electrical wiring, fuel lines etc. and at my present physical condition, I need to have those things hired out, and it is hard to find competent people here to do the work.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like a nice build Lloyd. Hope to see some pics of it put in the Falcon!

I've always wanted to bolt mine to a dyno, but there again, there only numbers and brag'n rights don't pay for much(like the dyno time) LOL!!

I won a chassis dyno tune-up a couple years ago, but they failed to ever award me the prize(go figure). I've heard of horror stories with those and would likely only do it if "I" was the one running the car. I'm not handing the keys to some jamoke that don't care if it comes out in pieces.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:54 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Well Lloyd,

Dont sell your self short Bud !! I have know over the years O' Plenty of guys that bought some good dollar stuff, and put them together....and blew them up on the test stand just breaking them in... and I have also seen and read about alot of builders including myself..that when the motor was broke in at the shop and to be dailed in at the Dyno...they came apart !! and your's did stay together with the exception of the Flywheel weight.. So that tells me one thing...At least you can still turn a decent wrench ! But I have know doubt ..that when you get into the fine tuning at the track you find some more Hp that was left on the table at the dyno... So you'll get your 600+HP.... hats off and Thumbs up !! Chit I'am tired of bragging on you !!

Old 06-10-2009, 02:55 PM
maxtor
Posting Guru

Thanks Guys;

All of our FE builds are fun, and I enjoy reading about each of yours. Even after 40 years, our FE engines can hold their own against some of the modern engines.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:49 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Well, Is it Wednesday yet??????

John

Old 06-10-2009, 07:03 PM
maxtor
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Freightrain
Sounds like a nice build Lloyd. Hope to see some pics of it put in the Falcon!

I've always wanted to bolt mine to a dyno, but there again, there only numbers and brag'n rights don't pay for much(like the dyno time) LOL!!

I won a chassis dyno tune-up a couple years ago, but they failed to ever award me the prize(go figure). I've heard of horror stories with those and would likely only do it if "I" was the one running the car. I'm not handing the keys to some jamoke that don't care if it comes out in pieces.
Win the dyno contest and they do not give you the prize... bummer...You have one nice ride, and I am sure people are amazed to see your car win all the time with a FE in it. I will take some pictures when the engine and trans are installed. The front axle and disc brakes came out looking good. In the mean time, you are making us FE guys proud, by doing it to those chevys and other brand x cars. Hopefully the rest of use get our projects finished so we can help you do in the chebbys.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:00 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Larry i know what your saying, I was out at Thunder Valley a few years back at Bristol.,.and some Punk Rock radoi station sponsored a mobile wheel dyno out at the track.. and they had different cats for the motors like 4,6,8,and 10 cylinder/ power adder non power adder etc.

There was a kid with one of those Tuner Civics there and he had some big azz MM turbo strapped to it..he was running in the 10's..and they strapped his car up there and you could see the digital HP Readout that set on a stand for all too see.. But they spun that thing up to around 8K as I remember it , and the owner was standing there..and he kept raising his hand and with a thumbs up thing as a gesture ! and the guy on the dyno thought he meant more RPM and kept going...well I cleared out about then..LOL..

I think when that thng let loose..about the only thing left was the head and blow thru sitting there and the turbo hanging on the brackets... iT was a crowd pleaser for sure !! LOL ,and the owner was PISSED!!

Quick Reply: It won't be long now...