Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

My new baby...85 F-250 Banks Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts
My new baby...85 F-250 Banks Turbo

I have a new baby sitting in the back yard. Saw this on CL a couple weeks ago, been listed about a month for $3500. Damn this thing looks clean, sure would like to have it....HMMMMM. Right click and put it on my Desk Top so I could drool on it w/o searching again.
85 F-250, 6.9 with a Banks Turbo, manual 4-spd, extra cab, 8ft bed, 164K miles, 3:55 Diff. Air Bags on the rear axle.

Our 86 F-250 with the straight cab can get crowded at times, only so much stuff you can cram behind the seat, and when we stop anything in the bed has to be thrown in the cab.
So have been sort of looking for an extra cab, King cab or what ever they call them for a while.

Then the guy drops the price to $2500, my Wife said, "Lets go get it".
I love that Woman more every day.

Had a 9am Dr, apt to get my foot x-rayed again, Dumb azz drops a 16f 2 x 10 on his foot, lets say it came down the ladder faster than it went up...don`t ask.
My 16ft trailer is too short for the WB, so head to Reno (50 miles) to rent a 18ft trailer. Mine would be wagging it`s tail all the way loaded and been down that road before.
Get my Bro in Law to help and off the three of go.
leave Reno about 10:30 and head over I-80 towards San Francisco, then north of it to Petaluma. get there around 5pm, load up and head back about 6;30pm. Go through Sacramento, catch Hwy 50 to Lake Tahoe, through South Shore and down to Carson City, then south 25 miles to home.
Roll in the driveway at 2:55 am.

Get about 3 hrs sleep, unload the PU and back to Reno by 10am to drop off the trailer.
Took us 2 days to recouperate...LOL Iam 73 not 23 like I think Iam LOL.

I bought it from a high school kid, he had it 8 month, owner before him had it since 1990. It was used mostly to haul around a camper, so the bed is almost like brand new, and don`t see any rust any where....yet.
Kid turned the FW and installed a new clutch, but won`t disingauge all the way. Maybe air still in the system or??? we`ll get to it, several other projects in front of it that need attention first.

so here is the CL listing I saved, I paid $2500 not the $3500 it shows.

1985 Ford F250 Diesel - $3500 (petaluma)

< image 1 of 7 >

1985 Ford F250

condition: excellent
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: diesel
odometer: 164000
paint color: red
size: full-size
title status: clean
transmission: manual
type: truck

QR Code Link to This Post

I have my 1985 Ford F250 with the 6.9l diesel engine. Im the 3rd owner, and have ALL SERVICE RECORDS! Also have gas records for the first 5 years of its life, all owners manuals, and original dealer sticker!

New clutch but doesn't disengage all the way. Also had flywheel resurfaced and checked out the rear main seal. New front U joint, clutch slave and master cylinders

The injection pump and head gaskets were replaced. It has 164XXX miles which is nothing for this engine. Trim is XLT Lariat with almost all the bells and whistles. Heavy duty Tow package with trailer brake and airbag rear suspension. Captains chairs and rear bench seat, SUPER CLEAN. No rips, no tears, all original super comfy. 4spd manual transmission. Has Banks turbo installed, works great makes about 7lbs boost. Has had a cab over camper most of its life and most of the wiring etc... is still there. NO RUST AT ALL. Has a few aftermarket gauges. Voltmeter, oil pressure, EGT, Water temp, boost. I bought it from the 2nd owner who has had it since 1990, and he mainly used it for road trips on the freeway. Cruises great. New pioneer deck and door speakers sounds super nice, I rewired all the stereo cables in the truck. Has dual tanks, both work, but the front sender is off a little. Good mileage, never molested.

Cons-
One small dent on passenger side, still have trim piece.
Clutch doesn't disengage all the way
Has oil leak possibly from turbo cooler line
Tailgate needs new handle
Needs tires (badly)

I don`t have the time nor the money to fix this and Im out of motivation to do so. Trades and offers welcome
Other than those problems the body, interior and motor are in great condition

WHADAYATHNK? Did I do good?

Charlie

Old 09-11-2017, 10:59 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice score! FWIW, they have pretty much always been called super cabs, (single seat is custom cab, 4 dr = crew cab)