1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Oh, for the love of the 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 10:31 PM
SchaefferUSMC
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, for the love of the 7.3

So, not really asking any questions here, just maybe someone might get a kick out of my transcredible exploits of the weekend. Been having some low boost issues, so a couple months ago I rebuilt my turbo, and installed some new bellowed up pipes courtesy of RiffRaff. Boost picked up, but still low. So I took to reading the forums and build myself a boost pressure tester. Found my intake plenums leaking, so here starts my wonderful weekend.

Got off work about 1 on Sat, and proceded to remove my turbo for the 2nd time. Luckily, that was a little easier than last time with all new SS hardware and never sieze. I had fun cutting off the front bottom bolt with a hacksaw on the passenger plenum. Then finding a new bolt from Lowes that would fit involved buying a half a dozen different sizes and styles, in which I ended up fabing up my own with a cut off wheel. I think the hardest part so far was cleaning up the plenums, especially all the RTV in the little grooves on the plenums.

Reinstalled plenums was straight forward (I heeded everyones advice and had Ford grey RTV) and heres where the fun began. I try to make it a habit to put bolts and nuts back on when I can during dissasembly to aide in reassembly, so I had my 4 tubo exhaust bolts installed in the flange. Well, upon removing the upper passenger side bolt, my greasy hands let it slip, and right down the up pipe it fell. SS, precluded me from using a flexible magnet, so off needs to come the manifold. 3 bolt wouldn't budge, just started rounding off the corners, so a trip to the store and a brand new dremel and 1.5 inch cuttoff wheel later, I had the manifold off. 1 cut off stud came right out with my finger from the block. 2 needed some heat, and luckily my hand held propane torch and a bunch of grunting and elbow grease got the other 2 out. As for the bolt heads still in the manifold, 2 came out with the same propane torch and a punch, but one is giving me fits like nothing else. I have beaten, drilled, heated, cussed, repeated over and over. I cut the head of the bolt off, it will not budge. It rings like a bell when I hit it with a punch. As for drilling it, I can only drill it about halfway thru from the block side, then my drills quit cutting. It's like it's hardened halfway thru, and I can't get any drill bit to get a bite from the cut off head side.

So, I'll take it to work with me tomorrow where I have access to oxy/acc torch. And worse comes to worse, if I break my manifold, I'll be purchasing a new manifold.

I reckon all this is just allowing my RTV more time to cure and set up

SchaefferUSMC

Old 09-10-2017, 11:12 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Man you were served a full plate of crap.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:51 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I hate to hear that man... All I can say is good luck and hopefully you can get it off!!

Old 09-11-2017, 09:04 AM
SchaefferUSMC
Junior User
Yeah, got it out first thing this morning. Took longer to set up the torch than it did to burn it out. Funny thing though, after I burned it out the bolt holes giving me fits was quite noticably small than the rest. I used a 1/2 inch drill bit to clean up all the holes, but that one wouldn't even accept a 3/8. I don't know how or why, but all is good to go now for install after work.

SchaefferUSMC

Old 09-11-2017, 09:30 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
You must be from the rust belt. My 98 C&C truck spent it's early life in Michigan, and when I went to replace a broken exhaust mani. bolt on the drivers side, I had to cut the bolts in between the block and mani. to get it loose. The bolts were rusted in the mani. so tightly I thought I would break the mani. while driving them out.