Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Long Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
This truck sits in the garage as I pick parts off of it for my DD. I was thinking about this thing...I seem to recall reading something about a check valve of some sort for the LPO down around the filter. Is there one? If so, where do I find it? Is it possible that this could be letting the LPO drain out and causing the long start?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark, what truck year are you using for parts? The OBS 94.5 - 95 utilizes a check valve in the oil cooler filter area that was only staked in and had the issue of falling out with an oil change. This caused long start and sometimes no start issues. The 96 - 97 models had that check valve secured with an e-ring which prevented it from falling out.

My understanding is the purpose of that valve is to supply unfiltered oil directly to the HPOP for starting purposes only, it's a spring loaded thing. To see if it's still there you would need to remove the oil filter and see if there is a nickel size hole inside the housing where the oil filter assembly screws into. If you can stick your finger in the hole then that part is missing.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:26 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
The truck I'm picking at with the long start is an '01 former municipal plow truck with 73,000 miles on it. I expect it has some idle hours on it.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:49 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mark, any update on this issue? Now that I've learned how to read these graphs correctly, thanks to you, I'm very curious why it's happening. I agree, it sure seems like the PCM is giving a HP oil signal to the IPR % but for some reason the HPOP is not responding very quickly, weird.

I do believe you, now, that the truck does start quicker with scanner connected while monitoring ICP pressure, at least on cold starts in my case. More on that issue at a later time.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:57 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Hussler
Mark, any update on this issue? Now that I've learned how to read these graphs correctly, thanks to you, I'm very curious why it's happening. I agree, it sure seems like the PCM is giving a HP oil signal to the IPR % but for some reason the HPOP is not responding very quickly, weird.

I do believe you, now, that the truck does start quicker with scanner connected while monitoring ICP pressure, at least on cold starts in my case. More on that issue at a later time.
Nope, no progress. Except that I have pulled the rear off of it and I want to swap it into my DD. Now that it's gotten colder it chug, chug, chugs with no smoke at start up so I'm figuring that an injector or two needs shimming. I'm wondering if there's something internal to the injectors that causing a late buildup of HPO pressure.