How about boondocking east of the Mississippi?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:58 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
How about boondocking east of the Mississippi?

Seems all the boondocking is out West. Does anyone do it east of the Mississippi? I don't mean dry camp, mean actually boondock.

Steve

Old 09-10-2017, 12:24 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
In the past when we had slide in campers we did find spots east of the Mississippi to boondock (70s and 80s) but now I don't think they would be very easy to find, even our true boonbocking spot in Colorado is now a dry camping spot because the Denver water board made a still free but developed spot mostly because people that used the area abused it and left trash everywhere and along with the contents of their tanks and started to limited the length of stay. So over the years a few RVers have ruined it for the rest of us.

Denny

Old 09-10-2017, 03:49 PM
BCooke
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On land where we know the owners or organizations, not public land.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:32 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We just came back from a trip from VA to Nova Scotia and it is harder to find spots East of the Mississippi asyou said.
One app that we have used is iOverlander.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:37 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
I would love to on a trip out west. Want to head out towards Mt Rushmore. I am having a hard time finding somewhere relatively local for a test run.

We camp with no water or power available regularly but we know where we are going. Usually big open farm pasture at a motorcycle race. Never did the driving down the road looking for a place to pull in deal.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:31 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Until we got way West, everything says "camping in designated areas". Once we got to Wyoming it seemed like any place you stopped the truck was a 'designated area" it is to open!

Steve

Old 09-11-2017, 01:53 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,694 Likes on 2,750 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Once we got to Wyoming it seemed like any place you stopped the truck was a 'designated area" it is to open!
Lots of land in Wyoming, that's for sure. My brother likes to go to a lake next to a power plant. It's not well known and besides who wants to camp next to a power plant?

Much of public land in Colorado is the same way. It helps to know where you are. BLM land - unlike national forest land - doesn't exactly announce that you have arrived in that area. The hunting maps are pretty good at having all that. Or go online

Old 09-11-2017, 02:38 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
I would love to on a trip out west. Want to head out towards Mt Rushmore. I am having a hard time finding somewhere relatively local for a test run.

We camp with no water or power available regularly but we know where we are going. Usually big open farm pasture at a motorcycle race. Never did the driving down the road looking for a place to pull in deal.
When you get out west if you get off the interstates and travel 2 lane roads you will find a lot of small towns that have parks that you can pull off for the night without hookups, we do it all the time. You can also look at a Rand McNally atlas and find picnic table drawn next to roads and many of them have room to pull off for a night, I will sometimes look at them with Google Earth to see how big they are.

Denny

Old 09-17-2017, 07:30 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Just to add some to this - we are just concluding about 4 weeks in Maine and NH and have to say that the boondock ability there is next to none - except at that wonderful place called affectionately, Wally World. We did see some folks in the Franconia Notch area set up in a state park but suspect that was a fluke. We didn't get to Maine's Aroostook County (roads were way too bad), but there may be some boondocking there as CGs are very few and far between and only about 69K residents in that 4.37 million acres

Old 09-28-2017, 09:04 AM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My state of PA has many wilderness areas, 14 day max stay, mostly in the NW part of the state. check out the ANF and the Clarion River wilderness area