6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

New 6.2 owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 12:35 PM
ctimrun
Tuned
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
New 6.2 owner

So my F350 6.7 diesel was dying a slow death because I wasn't working it hard enough. Got rid of our big trailer to scale back to a smaller travel trailer now that the kids are out of the house. My 6.7 became my Home Depot tansport and chore vehicle which is mostly short trips between home, our rentals, and the grocery store. Hardly ever had an opportunity to complete a regen and I refuse to go drive for no other reason than just to complete one. Actually the truck doesn't even have a chance to get warmed up on a round trip to HD or wherever my chores take me around town. I know this is really hard on the truck, and it started having some emissions issues which are directly related to not using it like it needs to be used. As much as I loved my truck and hated to see it go, for my needs it was the right thing to do. Ended up selling the truck to someone with a large 5th wheel so it will again be used like it needs to be.

Before buying anything I narrowed down the type of trailer we are looking for. It will either be an outdoors rv TT or a small 20' or 24' toy hauler from ATC trailers. I am leaning towards the aluminum toy hauler and it will probably end up being about 6 - 7k lbs loaded ready to camp. Armed with this information I went out and started looking for a gas powered truck that would work well for our needs.

Based on a lot of internet blogs, reviews, and information here (Giant Futon and others) I decided I wanted Ford's 6.2 engine. I am lucky that it comes in the best heavy duty truck that is currently being produced. I set out to order an F350 but decided that if I could find a good deal on an existing F250 that would work well for my needs too. I ended up finding a great deal on an F250 sitting on a dealers lot which saved me about $6K over ordering a truck using x plan, due to discount and rebates on the 17's.

2017 F250 XLT (premium pkg) CCSB 4x4, yellow payload sticker is 3244 lbs which is 300 lbs more than my F350 (Diesel engine being the difference) which was around 2900 lbs.

So far I am really loving the truck. Haven't got our camper yet but couldn't wait to test it out. Hooked up to a friends 30' weekend warrior toy hauler and did a test tow. Even without spending much time setting up the WD hitch I am very happy with how the truck handled the trailer both stability wise and power wise. His trailer is quite a bit heavier than what we want. I am also really happy with not having to be concerned with regen cycles not finishing, short trips etc etc. This gas powered truck seems really simple compared to the diesel pickup. Maybe I'm just simple minded.

Started ordering things to make it mine. Will document what I do to it and post pictures when I figure out how now that photo bucket is gone (not paying for it).

Thanks to everyone who has documented their experience with the 6.2 powered trucks. A lot of what I read online leads one to believe a diesel powered truck is needed to do the things we all want to do, but that just isn't the case. Obviously if I was still towing heavy that would be a different story, but for my needs I believe this truck will serve us well for a long time to come, after warranties are long gone!

Old 09-06-2017, 01:25 PM
Omega Man
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the family!

That first paragraph is exactly why I chose the 6.2 over the Power Stroke. Combine that with the reliability of the 6.2 and the 6 speed it's a solid option.

I've only got 1050 miles on mine and haven't towed my TT yet, but it does a great job of pulling my boat in the hills. The 2017 F250 is a massive upgrade from my 99 V10 f350.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Krabill
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
try imgur.com for free image hosting.

I too just stepped up from an 00 f250 v10 to a 2017 f250 with the 6.2 and the difference is night and day.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
my 6.2L has 152,000 miles (2012)

my trailer is 9,000 plus loaded and I have 1,500 pounds in truck bed..

N.E. Ohio to South Texas and back... past winter no issues and used No oil.
I will be repeating it in 7 weeks... that is 1,800 miles each way.
with a temperature change from 30 degrees in Ohio and 100 degrees in Texas.

4 days down and 4 days back... with a long rest in between

Welcome all of you guys to the 6.2L club.....

Old 09-06-2017, 04:42 PM
giant futon
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another one joins the fold

Glad that you are enjoying the new truck so far. Although I'm biased, you made a good choice. Safe travels and keep us updated on your towing experiences!

GF

Old 09-06-2017, 05:39 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Great choice on your new truck. I have the XLT Premium Package as well but mine is the F350. Absolutely love this truck and have just over 5000 miles on it now. The 6.2's are becoming more and more popular around here where I live and even my dealer is stocking more of them that they had in previous years.
You are going to love it!

Old 09-06-2017, 06:22 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Glad to have someone that can testify to the issues of short tripping a new diesel. I think you will be 100% happy with your purchase. Sure wish I had a '17 motor in my '16!

Old 09-06-2017, 11:34 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ctimrun
So my F350 6.7 diesel was dying a slow death because I wasn't working it hard enough. Got rid of our big trailer to scale back to a smaller travel trailer now that the kids are out of the house. My 6.7 became my Home Depot tansport and chore vehicle which is mostly short trips between home, our rentals, and the grocery store. Hardly ever had an opportunity to complete a regen and I refuse to go drive for no other reason than just to complete one. Actually the truck doesn't even have a chance to get warmed up on a round trip to HD or wherever my chores take me around town. I know this is really hard on the truck, and it started having some emissions issues which are directly related to not using it like it needs to be used. As much as I loved my truck and hated to see it go, for my needs it was the right thing to do. Ended up selling the truck to someone with a large 5th wheel so it will again be used like it needs to be.

Before buying anything I narrowed down the type of trailer we are looking for. It will either be an outdoors rv TT or a small 20' or 24' toy hauler from ATC trailers. I am leaning towards the aluminum toy hauler and it will probably end up being about 6 - 7k lbs loaded ready to camp. Armed with this information I went out and started looking for a gas powered truck that would work well for our needs.

Based on a lot of internet blogs, reviews, and information here (Giant Futon and others) I decided I wanted Ford's 6.2 engine. I am lucky that it comes in the best heavy duty truck that is currently being produced. I set out to order an F350 but decided that if I could find a good deal on an existing F250 that would work well for my needs too. I ended up finding a great deal on an F250 sitting on a dealers lot which saved me about $6K over ordering a truck using x plan, due to discount and rebates on the 17's.

2017 F250 XLT (premium pkg) CCSB 4x4, yellow payload sticker is 3244 lbs which is 300 lbs more than my F350 (Diesel engine being the difference) which was around 2900 lbs.

So far I am really loving the truck. Haven't got our camper yet but couldn't wait to test it out. Hooked up to a friends 30' weekend warrior toy hauler and did a test tow. Even without spending much time setting up the WD hitch I am very happy with how the truck handled the trailer both stability wise and power wise. His trailer is quite a bit heavier than what we want. I am also really happy with not having to be concerned with regen cycles not finishing, short trips etc etc. This gas powered truck seems really simple compared to the diesel pickup. Maybe I'm just simple minded.

Started ordering things to make it mine. Will document what I do to it and post pictures when I figure out how now that photo bucket is gone (not paying for it).

Thanks to everyone who has documented their experience with the 6.2 powered trucks. A lot of what I read online leads one to believe a diesel powered truck is needed to do the things we all want to do, but that just isn't the case. Obviously if I was still towing heavy that would be a different story, but for my needs I believe this truck will serve us well for a long time to come, after warranties are long gone!
Congrats on the new purchase , and welcome to the club. My last diesel(hopefully ever) was a 2014 6.7 and I've never once missed it.
Originally Posted by Ron94150
Sure wish I had a '17 motor in my '16!
I wish my 2017 drivetrain was in my last 2016 truck

Old 09-07-2017, 07:23 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Sounds like a nice truck, but as the saying goes here... "without pics it did not happen!"...

Welcome to the land of spark plugs and 3.73/4.30 gearing debates

Old 09-08-2017, 10:51 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Thumbs up

Welcome to the 2017 6.2 club! We are still very much enjoying our F350 6.2.

You can post pictures within your messages directly from files on your computer; just click on the yellow post card icon above the message window and follow the instructions to insert an image.

As an example, here's a picture of our new truck on delivery day uploaded from the "Our 2017 F350" folder on my PC:

Enjoy!
Jim / crewzer

Old 09-08-2017, 03:16 PM
ctimrun
Tuned
Appreciate the welcome from everyone. Will try this picture thing......

Old 09-08-2017, 03:22 PM
ctimrun
Tuned
Wow that was easy, thanks for the tip! I will add pics of my mods when I do them, but they will be very mild mods compared to a lot on this board so it might be kind of boring to look at.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:26 PM
ctimrun
Tuned
Wouldn't call it a mod but the first thing I did was remove the large chrome tip from the exhaust pipe. I don't mind the chrome I just thought it looked a little out of place. I also picked up some new take off side steps from a 17 F150 on Craigslist for $50. I wanted just the step mounts since they are 4" drop instead of the 6 " drop our steps come with, just so happened I got the steps too. Thought I would put them on to be sure the steps were still usable for me at the new height. Not only are the steps very usable still, I think I actually like the black better than the chrome, still have to decide. What do you think?

Old 09-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
If the 6.2's still come with a flex fuel badge on the tailgate, my first mod would be removing it and any dealer decals to clean up that rear end. Nice looking truck.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:57 PM
ctimrun
Tuned
Originally Posted by Ron94150
If the 6.2's still come with a flex fuel badge on the tailgate, my first mod would be removing it and any dealer decals to clean up that rear end. Nice looking truck.
The 6.2's still come with that badge. I would like to remove it but I wasn't sure if there were any holes behind it or not. I was planning on asking here before taking it off. Can anyone confirm the 17's don't have any hole(s) for the flex fuel badge on the tailgate?

Quick Reply: New 6.2 owner