1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hi from a noob!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 11:18 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi from a noob!

Hi guys, a noob here! Thought I would say hi and thank you for the already vital resource that is this site and all of you guys' knowledge. I'm a long time classic VW guy, so I am definitely not shy of getting stuck-in, but I am, without a doubt an F100 noob. I'm an Englishman now settled in Utah, and having worn myself out on Volkswagens, one of my best friends has agreed to sell me two trucks, a 54 and a 56 F100. They are out in Nevada, so a road trip is coming up, so I can bring them back to my shop. Already in bits, this is going to be overwhelming/exciting/frustrating/fun (I hope) - since I had a Matchbox toy '56 F100 as a child in the '70s I have loved the F100 shape, so this is kinda like finally getting a dream car aged 40!!!. Anyway, thanks again for this great site, I love looking at and being inspired by your work and projects, I will update this thread when I have more pics and stories. Thank you so much! Gary The Noob.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:37 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,485 Posts
Welcome to FTE the best Ford Truck Forum on the World wide Web! Gary, your questions will be answered here.

Will you be making one truck or two? I see a lot of dusty parts lying around. I'm sure you'll need help putting them back together again and that's where we can help.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:19 AM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe
Welcome to FTE the best Ford Truck Forum on the World wide Web! Gary, your questions will be answered here.

Will you be making one truck or two? I see a lot of dusty parts lying around. I'm sure you'll need help putting them back together again and that's where we can help.
Thank you so much abe! I'm super glad to be here! To answer your question regarding one truck or two - I have no idea yet. Maybe make a good one from both? I'm still torn with the crisp clean look of the '54 body vs the more aggressive '56 body - although such minor differences, it really makes it tough to decide where to start.

I will most certainly need help, and I shall only ask when I have exhausted all my resources ( I know forums generally dislike stupid questions so I will be as wise as I can) and I thank you in advance big time!!!

I've really enjoyed looking at the junkyard picture thread this evening!

Cheers! Gary.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:26 AM
leardvr
Senior User
Sexy truck. Please put a wood floor in the bed. That was my winter project on my 2001 F150 Super Crew but I just upgraded to an F250 and will be selling the F150. Was really looking forward to having something different than everyone else.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:39 AM
Justboy
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome Gary. I can imagine some of your questions are going to be "what the hell is this and does it belong to my truck?" Good luck mate. Tough decision on the 54 or 56. Sounds like you really need both

Old 09-04-2017, 06:41 AM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 146 Likes on 82 Posts
Looks like 2 spread apart basket case trucks. It will be a challenge for sure but fun. Good luck, keep us posted.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:56 AM
rico56
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
Hi Gary,

welcome and congratulations for the two trucks. A saying is: "The first rebuild is the most difficult one, better start with the second one!". Since you got two trucks, you can decide which to start with .

I wish You patience, luck and fun for the job! For technical questions you couldn't find a better place than this forum

Old 09-04-2017, 07:40 AM
bhalemail
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take lots of plastic totes and load up ALL the parts, bolts, wires/etc. Even if you don't think you'll need them, get it all.
Looks like it should be a good adventure. The nice thing about this site is you can post a picture of an odd part and someone will know where it goes

Old 09-04-2017, 08:49 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Welcome to the site

You are at the right place for help with part indentification and Ford Classic truck knowledge.

I found that using one of the suppliers like Carpenter or LMC catalogues is a good tool in part ident.

Since you have two trucks, the first step sounds like part inventory.

Once you have an idea on what you have piled up, the project will start to identify itself.

Good luck with however you go.

I have a 1959 Beetle that I work at keeping on the road, and have managed to put 1200 miles on this year.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:10 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 556 Likes on 360 Posts
Welcome to FTE Gary

It would be a great help to get yourself a 56 repair manual. CD's are good but I find a paper copy is helpful when I don't know exactly where to look for information. Paper copies come up for sale on eBay pretty regular.

Another good source of info is a MidFifty catalog and their website. They have an instructions section. Instructions - Mid Fifty F-100 Parts

Another suggestion would be to try to find a F100 club/group close by, iIf not that then a Ford club. That way you'll be able to see some answers to your questions on other's vehicles.

Again welcome and you're on the right foot posting pictures so soon after joining the site. Don't be afraid to as questions. Believe me we all have been there.

Edit: Here's a CL listing that has a 56 Manual for $25.

FORD TRUCK PARTS 1950's new listings
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/pt...231287582.html

Last edited by bjmayberry2; 09-04-2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Added CL Add
Old 09-04-2017, 10:59 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome and have fun. You will find the guys and gals on this forum are great helpful resources. They even help a guy with a Studebaker!!

Old 09-04-2017, 01:49 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Welcome to FTE Gary. It looks like you have some interesting work ahead of you. Might I suggest that you please add you location through the UserCP link at the left side of menu at the top of each page. Also add a signature that includes the basic info on your trucks also in the UserCP menu. It makes it easier to better answer your questions if we know what you have. We have so many people on here that we can't remember what everyone is working on.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:05 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi Gary, I just wanted to give you a warm FTE welcome, I think you will find yourself very comfortable here as part of the FTE family, and thoroughly enjoy bringing your trucks back to life.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:29 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,485 Posts
Originally Posted by GJPilcher
I will most certainly need help, and I shall only ask when I have exhausted all my resources ( I know forums generally dislike stupid questions so I will be as wise as I can) and I thank you in advance big time!!!
Cheers! Gary.
Gary, this forum does not flame guys who ask "stupid" questions. The only stupid question is the one not asked! Everyone here is very nice and helpful. We all have different backgrounds and knowledge and experience. We were all noobs at one time, right. So ask any and all questions.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:24 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Gary
Welcome Aboard! I see a few engine choices there...What info.
do you have on them? Are any of them supposed to be good? Do you know what engines are available?

Good luck over there. You'll have fun!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Quick Reply: Hi from a noob!