Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3L No Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 04:27 PM
Hoffcos
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3L No Start

Alright so it won’t start. I have a 2000 F350 7.3L and I’ve read and tried a lot and have more to try. I was using the truck just fine then one morning went to go to work and it just kept cranking... didn’t have time to tinker with it so I used my wife’s car. Anyway, got to digging and decided it was the fuel pump mainly because you couldn’t hear it and the fuel bowl wasn’t filling. So after swapping that out I now realize the new fuel pump isn’t getting power. The switch in the passenger kick panel is fine, fuse #30 is fine, and now idk where to start. I have a TS 6 position chip on the PCM but idk how that could affect it 6 months after install. The wait to start isn’t coming on all the time, it does once in a while but it’s done that since I bought the truck in 2014. I’m at a loss and have been tracing wires but idk which relay to look for or replace. I cannot afford a shop price here because they’ll rack up a rediculous bill but I may be able to splurge for a scanner. I read some about AutoEnginuity but idk if it talks to the PCM or not. Any help and advice will be appreciated!

Thanks,

CH

Old 09-02-2017, 06:22 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Unplug the chip and try it it might of come loose from the pcm.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:46 PM
Hoffcos
New User
Thank you I will try that in the morning and see if anything changes. I would like to mention that the RPMs do not bounce and I change the CPS already..

Old 09-02-2017, 11:45 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
Cps a Motorcraft or aftermarket?

Old 09-03-2017, 01:13 PM
Hoffcos
New User
CPS is a BWD Engine Management Technology. That’s all it says on the package. I did something though, I unplugged the fuel switch behind the kick panel and the RPMs finally jumped only once. After that nothing and I check the fuel bowl still not filling up. I took out the PCM and unplugged the chip still no change.. I have the batteries charging now, I’m at an apartment complex so I couldn’t leave the cord laying out at night.
Is there a relay that controls the fuel pump or the switch behind the kick panel? I read online that there’s possibly one behind the radio or glove box but I didn’t want to tear the dash out just yet on a maybe.
The wait to start light hasn’t been coming on at all now, I know I said it’s always been iffy but now it won’t.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:41 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Check under hood fuse #22 spunds like the fuel bowl heater shorted. Unplug it its the only electrical plug on the back of the fuel bowl.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:47 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The switch behind the kick panel is the fuel inertia switch. It needs to be plugged in. There is a relay for the fuel pump and the contacts are fused by #19 20A so check that fuse.

Never heard of BWD Engine Management Technology for a CPS, but maybe it's OK. Get the fuel pump working first though.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:58 PM
Hoffcos
New User
all fuses tested good, still no power to pump, no check engine, and no wait to start light. I’ve traced all the wires I know to taken off trim and followed wires. . Removed the radio and found the three relays behind it. The numbers matched a relay under the hood for wipers and lights so I swapped out to test and still nothing. No power to pump. I’ll buy new relays Tuesday and try the ones behind the radio again with brand new ones. I’m starting to think it might be a PCM issue.
When it did run, I had a guy at work scan it with his snap on scanner for a different issue that has since been fixed. He said it wouldn’t let him read the engine¿? Idk I’m not a mechanic. Could that be a PCM issue? He didn’t spend too much time on it so I might need a second scan from another source. I’m running out of options anyone have any more that I can try? I appreciate everything so far y’all.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:18 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Forescan is a cheap program to read your engine. It's a downloadable app. If you have an iPad or iPhone you'll need a WIFI adapter, if you have Android you'll use a Bluetooth adapter (I do not know if Android will work on a WIFI adapter). Do you have power to your PCM? I don't know where to check that but it is the next thing I would do. Also check your grounds, they are equally as important as power and can cause headaches.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Keabler
Senior User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Forescan is a cheap program to read your engine. It's a downloadable app. If you have an iPad or iPhone you'll need a WIFI adapter, if you have Android you'll use a Bluetooth adapter (I do not know if Android will work on a WIFI adapter). Do you have power to your PCM? I don't know where to check that but it is the next thing I would do. Also check your grounds, they are equally as important as power and can cause headaches.
Btw, the obd2 Bluetooth scanner is $15 on Amazon, and with forescan you can read all the codes.much cheaper than replacing relays. From what I've read, non Motorcraft chips and sensors have a lot of issues. I have no personal experience with those, I think mostly because I'm only use Motorcraft based on fte advice.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:52 AM
Hoffcos
New User
Well I had to have it towed to the shop... I’ll reply with the final verdict. I’m thinking the pcm went out. No wait to start light and no check engine, changed fuse 30 and 22, no power to fuel pump or inertia switch and even changed both relays behind the radio, which are the fuel pump relays as the guy at the parts store told me when he looked up the numbers and it also has a new CPS sensor. So with all of that the options seem to be narrowing down to the PCM. I’ll reply when I get a notice from the shop...

Old 09-07-2017, 07:13 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Ohhhh boy, good luck with the shop, I hope they're able to find the problem quickly and easily. Did you go to the stealership or an independent garage?

Old 09-07-2017, 08:05 AM
Hoffcos
New User
It’s an independent shop called Badlands Truck and Trailer. I actually used to work for them.. They’re the only ones in town I trust to do an honest job. There speciality is semis but they do all diesels.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:29 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Please let us know what they find. Dose sound like the fuel bowl heater. Did you test your old fuel pump to see if it runs?

Old 09-07-2017, 02:34 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Where are you located? I live near the ND Badlands. I could come and take a look for free.

Quick Reply: 7.3L No Start