7.3L No Start - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7.3L No Start

Old 09-09-2017, 03:33 PM
New User

Hoffcos is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just checking back in, so far the shop cannot communicate with the truck at all. He thinks itís the IDM or PCM, he originally said FICM but I donít think the 7.3 has that. My question is though if it were just the idm would the WTS still work and would the fuel pump still fill the fuel bowl?

Im in Watford City btw, do you know where badlands truck and trailer is?

Just so so yíall know this truck is for sale lol I know itís down and out at the moment but itíll run again. We sold the camper so no longer needing a dually.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Post Fiend

Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like they know nothing about the 7.3 . Yes the fuel pump should still work if it's the IDM. WTS light usually doesn't work if the fuel bowl heater shorts out. I'm sure the PCM could cause this to. Just not as common.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:59 PM
Posting Guru

HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.
Dang it.
I was just up in Williston today for the races. I live in Glendive so not too far away.
I have to help my son put a fuel sender in his car tomorrow but I can come up there after that. I could bring my PCM to try as well.
Paul 406-939-0177
Old 09-10-2017, 03:50 PM
Posting Guru

HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm here with the OP. We have no WTS or fuel pressure. We do have power to the PCM and have tried a different PCM. Need more ideas.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:26 PM
New User

HD Rider came out and plugged in his PCM still no change. PCM is getting power.. Fuel pump is not turning on. Still no rpm bounce at crank. Truck wonít scan either so kinda stuck.. no wts or check engine.. anymore suggestions?
Old 09-11-2017, 12:46 PM
Elder User

brandon_oma#692 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.brandon_oma#692 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
jumper wire to fuel pump temporarily to eliminate lack of fuel?
Old 09-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Elder User

brandon_oma#692 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.brandon_oma#692 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
also OEM cps is recommended but that will not fix the fuel
Old 09-11-2017, 01:05 PM
Post Fiend

Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
Did you unplug the fuel bowl heater and change the fuse, not just check it?
Old 09-11-2017, 01:09 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza35 View Post
Did you unplug the fuel bowl heater and change the fuse, not just check it?
^^^^^^^^^^ yep this blew a fuse on me years ago in the F250 and it died going down the road. I think the fuse it blew powers one of the computers????? I unplugged it, changed the fuse and forgot about it. Still unplugged although that engine is now in my F450.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Post Fiend

As Brandon said leave it unplugged as well unless you replace the fuel bowl heater.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:38 PM
Postmaster

Hussler is a name known to allHussler is a name known to allHussler is a name known to allHussler is a name known to allHussler is a name known to allHussler is a name known to all
PCM has two power sources. One is "keep memory alive" and is hot all the time and the other is main power to the PCM via a relay. If no WTS then either the PCM is not getting power via the relay or the WTS light is burned out. Everything you have described is pointing to the relay not being activated. Believe the fuses are #30 and # 24 under hood, check them again with an ohm meter or just replace, 30 amp I believe. The fuel pump won't activate without main power to the PCM.

Question, how do you know the PCM has power? Do all indicators on the dash light up briefly when turning the key?
Old 09-11-2017, 07:13 PM
New User

Just got off work and tried jumping the fuel pump, it turned on alright sprayed out with the valve open. I closed the valve and tried to start still nothing. The CPS is bwd and I took it out and shaved a few thousandths off like Diesel tech Ron did tried starting it and the RPMs jumped 100-200 rpm just once and still nothing.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:13 PM
New User

[QUOTE=Hoffcos;17457420]Just got off work and tried jumping the fuel pump, it turned on alright sprayed out with the valve open. I closed the valve and tried to start still nothing. The CPS is bwd and I took it out and shaved a few thousandths off like Diesel tech Ron did tried starting it and the RPMs jumped 100-200 rpm just once and still nothing. No check engine no wts.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:18 PM
Posting Guru

When I was there. All fuses checked good with a test light. We tried swapping all the relays. With the PCM removed we had power at the connector. The cigarette lighter socket had power so the diagnostic port should. I did not feel comfortable probing it with a test light. We did not have a digital volt meter on hand. Scanner will not connect however.

If anyone has any other questions, I posted my phone number above.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:22 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
PCM has two power sources. One is "keep memory alive" and is hot all the time and the other is main power to the PCM via a relay. If no WTS then either the PCM is not getting power via the relay or the WTS light is burned out. Everything you have described is pointing to the relay not being activated. Believe the fuses are #30 and # 24 under hood, check them again with an ohm meter or just replace, 30 amp I believe. The fuel pump won't activate without main power to the PCM.

Question, how do you know the PCM has power? Do all indicators on the dash light up briefly when turning the key?
We disconnect the pcm and put a test light in the plug with the key on. I canít really tell you the numbers of the ports with power but I remember 10 of them had the test light come on.