Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Transmissino Advice/ Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 07:12 PM
Cpolinsky
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmissino Advice/ Help

Hi Everyone,

My mom has a 2006 ford escape 3.0L AT AWD 150K. Recently she was driving it and the transmission was slipping. So I drove it to schucks since the check engine light came on and needless to say they said it was something with the torque convereter but most likely it will need to be
rebuilt. On way home it slipped out multiple times and now it's gone. So I'm in the process of removing it. I have worked on cars before (I have an older Jeep) and i have pulled that engine out and replaced cluthes, done brakes but nothing about removing a transmission in this ford. I have heard alot of negative about this transmission having issues from 75-150k so I guess she made it last.

How difficult will this be? I'm a bit neverous but feel confident as long as I go step by step and label and bag everything. I do have the chiltons book, haynes as well as a 2002 ford escape workshot manual for the transmission removal (I found it online). Is this feasable? I'm just trying to help her out to save her some money. Any advice could be great.

Thanks Chris

Old 08-31-2017, 08:10 PM
tnfordblue
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine had a failure of the transmission cooler located in the radiator letting coolant and trans fluid mix. This caused galling of bearings, that created metal debris, and caused the oil pump to lock up and the pump drive shaft to break. Is yours 2 or 4wd? Mine is 4wd and was a pain doing it on the ground with an engine hoist supporting the engine, so I had to crawl over it at times. Rebuilding the trans takes special tools. I was quoted $2500 to rebuild so did it myself.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:29 PM
Cpolinsky
New User
Here's is AWD and I have a shop that will rebuilt it but they wanted 3-3500K (w/0 them looking at it first just a quote over the phone they said it could cheaper depening on how bad it is inside).

They said I could save about 1000-1200ish if I remove it myself. So I'm just struggling removing it. Just trying to save mom some money.

Just wanted to know how feasable it is to do. And if there are any tricks so know. I have both chiltons, haynes and directions from a 2002 removal service manual. So I've been piecing them together to make it make sense to me.

I have no intention of rebuiliding the transmission myself (that's out of my league and for the shops).

Old 08-31-2017, 11:23 PM
simonsi
Senior User
Piecing together different sources sounds a recipe to become confused. Personally I'd just follow the Haynes manual, its step by step and tells you how to remove it. Normal trick with removing any transverse tranny is knowing when in the sequence to raise the vehicle ready to remove it from beneath, ensuring that you don't need access from above after raising it...

Old 09-01-2017, 01:27 AM
Cpolinsky
New User
Thanks for the input, i just needed any advice as possible. I will make sure to keep following the haynes then (since I just picked that one up today) and fingers crossed everything is done uptop before raising it up. Thanks again.