2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 F250 5er tow capacity help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 12:17 PM
little.eddie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Bowtie The tires do show a max capacity of 3460# on my truck @ 80psi. So I guess I don't understand what this sticker is all about. I guess they figure my truck weighs 7956# and subtracting that from 10000# gives the 2044# max payload. Are the calculations I made earlier hold for max pin weight I can have? Any guidance on this would help my education. I just don't understand how the tech specs show a max payload of 3450 on my truck yet yellow sticker shows it to be so much less.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:40 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by little.eddie
Thanks Bowtie The tires do show a max capacity of 3460# on my truck @ 80psi. So I guess I don't understand what this sticker is all about. The tire psi on the sticker is lower maybe that's it?? Any guidance on this would help my education.
Your max payload is 2,044 lbs, not 3,450...not sure where you got that number.

They get that number by taking your GVW, 10,000 and subtracting the actual weight of your truck. The difference between your actual weight and the 10k limit is what your payload is, which is all your passengers, coolers, wood, and most importantly pin/tongue weight.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:25 PM
little.eddie
New User

The 3450# shows in the Ford Tech Specs.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:42 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro

That's a best case scenario, every single truck Ford puts out has a slightly different payload based on options. The guy that buys your same truck but with a boat load of options you didn't get still has to account for the added weight of those options. That's why the gassers have higher payloads, the diesel option takes about 800lbs out of your available payload.

The sticker on your door is what your payload is. In reality, you should weigh your truck and find out what it's actual weight is, subtract that from 10k and you'll know your payload. Every pound you put into your truck takes away for that payload number.

If you wanted a 5er, the F350 is really the direction you should've gone, doesn't help now, I know.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:49 PM
MJR777
Senior User
All of those Maximum Payload Ratings are a bare bones stock truck with a Gasoline engine...Your sticker inside the door is based upon the actual configuration of your truck as built..

Old 01-19-2018, 03:08 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That sticker is showing a artificially low payload.
Notice the 65 lbs in the rear tires. Air them up and in reality
your payload capacity goes up.
How much exactly, I don't know on a 2017, but in 2013 you could
look at a 350 with the same trim level and be pretty close.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:19 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok stupid question. I should know this but have never needed to. LOL.

When a tire says it can carry 3200 pounds. Is that per tire, IE: 6400 pounds total? Or is that a normal axle with 2 tires, IE: 3200 pounds?

I've always figured per tire, 6400 pounds total.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:48 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Buliwyf
Ok stupid question. I should know this but have never needed to. LOL.

When a tire says it can carry 3200 pounds. Is that per tire, IE: 6400 pounds total? Or is that a normal axle with 2 tires, IE: 3200 pounds?

I've always figured per tire, 6400 pounds total.
Its that one individual tire. Airing up your tires does not raise your legal towing limit either, like previously stated. Can the truck handle more, sure. Will you win a legal battle with that argument, definitely not.

Springs, axles, tires, brakes, total weight, transmission, engine...they all play a part in your payload and towing capacity. But in reality, the towing capacity is complete marketing bull sheet. Its the payload, pretty much everytime, that you are going to max out before you hit towing capacity. Maybe boats are the only exception.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:58 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
An F250 is rated at 10k GVWR period. There is nothing you can do to it to raise that amount.

This thread reminds me of the thread where the truck flipped on its side and the 5th wheel ripped the hitch out of the bed on the F250.. Ya, throw on air bags and you are safe.. just do it.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:00 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The maximum rating is a stripped down XL with zero added options. Plus it doesn't say what motor that is. The gas will have much higher payload because the motor is much lighter then the 6.7.

You can't go by the chart.. everyone is different.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:15 PM
Barbero
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mtrock,
I have done a lot of research on the differences between towing capacities and cargo capacities. It's become clear to me that many of these Forum users have not. Most people think if you have a diesel you can pull anything. In reality, all tow vehicles, including super Dutys, are limited by the cargo capacity, not the towing capacity. Towing capacity is a great advertising tool so they can be "best in class"... As other users said those numbers and claims are for a stripped-down model with very little to no options...

The federally-mandated white and yellow "tire and loading information" stickers are written in the blood of people who most likely didn't know their vehicle was overloaded. We never get warnings from dealers, we never see the actual problems associated with overloading a truck. They don't show up in the straight and narrow, they show up when you need to make a panic maneuver or emergency stop. That reading on the sticker is for your total cargo meaning your tongue weight or your hitch pin weight, your passengers and their luggage, the weight of any options that you or your dealer added to the truck after it left the factory, truck bed covers, etc. Everything has to be taken into account. It's kind of interesting that even adding suspension airbags actually reduces your cargo capacity just because of the weight of the airbag system. There's no way around it. It's a function of engineered frames, chassis, suspension systems, axles etc etc etc. There are no add-ons to increase your cargo capacity. I've discovered this after my new trailer had the same GVWR as my previous trailer, but it had almost 400 pounds of more tongue weight. I had to sell my tow vehicle and buy a Super Duty just to safely tow a 7000# trailer.
So I encourage you to do the calculations, hit the scales to verify, and be safe. Unfortunately you're probably going to realize your 250 will not meet your needs...

Old 01-19-2018, 05:44 PM
little.eddie
New User
Thanks to all for these comments. It has made it much clearer to me now on what I could tow. Looks like I won't be getting one of those big fancy 5ers but maybe a pop-up. :-) And Barbero you are right on. Not a RV salesman that I ever talked to said you can't pull that with your F250. They all say that will pull this with "no problem".

Old 01-19-2018, 05:51 PM
Screamingbear
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Sticker

The yellow sticker is very simple.
Each truck is weighed as it leaves the assembly line. The payload number is the GVWR less the actual weight of the truck.
As others have said, that number will not change.

You have stated that you want to stay legal, so your pin weight + passengers + fuel + gear must be at or below that number.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:08 PM
Barbero
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Screamingbear
The yellow sticker is very simple.
Each truck is weighed as it leaves the assembly line. The payload number is the GVWR less the actual weight of the truck.
As others have said, that number will not change.

You have stated that you want to stay legal, so your pin weight + passengers + fuel + gear must be at or below that number.
actually, the weight of all fuels and liquids are already taken into account in that number....

Old 01-19-2018, 08:29 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Thanks to all for these comments. It has made it much clearer to me now on what I could tow. Looks like I won't be getting one of those big fancy 5ers but maybe a pop-up. :-) And Barbero you are right on. Not a RV salesman that I ever talked to said you can't pull that with your F250. They all say that will pull this with "no problem".
You're obviously kidding, but there are some crazy awesome 30-38Ft Travel and Toy haulers out there that are bumper pull. 5ers just have too much pin weight usually. Start looking for the higher end bumper pulls, there's a bajillion of them that suit your payload rating.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: 2017 F250 5er tow capacity help?