2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

XLT Upgrades - Leather Steering Wheel, Trailer Hook Up Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:33 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
You can get the raptor wheel in a heated version.... It's $500 though.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:01 PM
F250Smitty
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zelinadc
The wheel I received is as in the picture above with the exception being the trim ring around the switches was silver. I just reused the black ring as the silver did not match anything in the XLT interior.
I apologize for asking a redundant question. For some reason I did not see the posts you had with the pictures, when I posted that. Thanks for the info!!

Old 08-29-2017, 12:08 PM
jaxf250
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
You can get the raptor wheel in a heated version.... It's $500 though.
Hmmmmm I'm tempted for a future WIBNI, but only if the paddle shifters can work LOL... thx for looking into that Tricon.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:19 PM
brandontolentino
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is a picture of the leather Lariat wheel with the XLT black trim around the switchgear
Leather wheel
Is the leather on that steering wheel black? Hard for me to tell from the pic.....but I am colorblind...

Old 08-30-2017, 06:43 AM
zelinadc
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes - its black. I can see why it might look grayish.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:52 PM
Brian Singstock
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK. Did we ever find out a part # for either the leather wheel or the heated, raptor wheel? Also, is the heated portion an option for the XLT trim trucks?

Thanks, Brian

Old 08-30-2017, 02:14 PM
1qwktrk
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxf250
^^ This. I'm with you here - would love to see the paddle shifters working though. Someone who is a Forscan wiz, please let us know if you find out if this is possible.
I dont see why they could not be made to work, our trucks have the +&- on the column shifter. need to route that signal reference/wiring to the paddles on the wheel. in theory it should be the same. paddles should operate just like the shift buttons.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:47 PM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Received 389 Likes on 217 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Singstock
OK. Did we ever find out a part # for either the leather wheel or the heated, raptor wheel? Also, is the heated portion an option for the XLT trim trucks?

Thanks, Brian
No heated wheel in XLT trim. You have to retrofit the Raptor, Lariat Ultimate, or Platinum steering wheel to get heat in your XLT. Plus you have to change the clock spring and do some wizardry in Forscan. See the link I posted earlier.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:26 PM
clc3251
Senior User
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1qwktrk
I dont see why they could not be made to work, our trucks have the +&- on the column shifter. need to route that signal reference/wiring to the paddles on the wheel. in theory it should be the same. paddles should operate just like the shift buttons.
YES! Please someone figure this out!

Old 08-30-2017, 10:18 PM
1qwktrk
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by clc3251
YES! Please someone figure this out!

probably need, wheel w/paddles, clock spring, and move wires from column shifter to proper pins in wheel harness. maybe an SRS reflash and some forescan fancywork but theoretically that should do it.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:32 AM
Steve White
New User
Ok here is the trailer hook up light info. FIRST take off the removable panel on the tailgate and look for the 12 pin connector in the first picture. Disconnect it and slide off the truck side and flip it over - you need to confirm the blue/gray and white wires as seen in picture 2. This is the power feed to the tailgate light. If you have the wires your good to go. My truck was only configured with the tailgate camera and the wires were there. The 3rd picture you can see the new harness plugged in - the LtBlue and Lt Green wires are the tailgate side power feed for the LED light. Once you confirm your wiring, order the parts and wait....
I have the tailgate step, so I can only speak to how to remove the latch on my style. Remove the tailgate panel. Disconnect the 12 pin connector. Open the step partially. Pop off the plastic connector with a pick or pry tool. You have to get under it and pull up (Picture 3 of the handle series). Push the rod to the side. There are 4 10mm nuts to remove the handle. 2 are easy, 2 are right under the step guide rods - tricky. There, I used a long socket with a vise grip. Give the handle a tug and it will release from the lower plastic clips (OLD HANDLE shown above for reference). Slide the harness out with the handle. On the work bench, transfer your camera, and install the LED light. Connect in the new harness and neatly follow the factory clips/retainers. NOTE there are two unused connectors on the new harness (think is for the tailgate release & TPMS antenna) I clipped them off. Slide the 12 pin connector back through the handle opening and carefully line up the studs. Get the two easy nuts started to hold it all in place. The outboard nuts are tricky, but there is a lead in machined on the stud so use a small Phillips to land the nut on top of the stud. Tighten hand tight and look at the handle position on the gate - if OK, tighten. Insert the latch rod into the latch and pop the retainer back on. Plug in the connector. At this point press the button in your bed for the lights and the tailgate light should come on. Also, check your reverse camera. If all is well, replace the tailgate panel and drink a beer. Later when its dark, hit your unlock on the remote and the light will come on as well. Cool.
This is fantastic. I am doing this as we frequently hitch up our travel trailer in the dark. It seems like we have very similar truck configurations which will help validate the correct harness to order. One question, do you have the power tailgate lock as well?

Thank you for posting this!

Old 09-09-2017, 06:27 PM
papashimbers
New User
Cant stand your urethane steering wheel? Purchase the Lariat HC3Z3600EB steering wheel and viola! You have a nice leather unit. You can ditch the silver trim piece and put your black one back on or keep it - I ditched it because it did not match anything in the XLT. Easy install, vids on YouTube. Need to hook up a trailer at night, but your rig did not come with the cool LED hook up light? My XLT was a plug and play. What you need: Harness HC3Z14A412EA, Lamp HC3Z15500A and the proper tailgate handle (mine required the tailgate camera and light, black with a chrome handle) HC3Z9943400. Works like it should! I can post a few pics of the trailer hook-up light install and what wires need to be present in your tailgate harness. Pretty easy install, two of the four handle nuts on the handle are tricky - I have the tailgate step
Thank you for sharing this information!!! I really hated the stock plastic wheel, it actually bothered me every time I drove this truck. I was able to order the lariat wheel for $150 and was a super easy swap.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:52 AM
duckduke
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
That's fabulous!!....... I have Lariat but really considered an XL/STX or XLT.

I pull a lot of parts, but I would have to see a video or something to be able to pull the steering wheel. Just never mess with them.

My previous Lariat had a tan interior and tan leather steering wheel. Some sun screen residue on my hand destroyed the leather in the upper section of the wheel. I ended up putting a leather cover over it but I guess I should have searched a video. I could have replace for a slight cost difference.

Anyway..... one of my main "wants" in the Lariat is the "auto climate control". Not sure how possible or cost effective that would be?? But it would be interesting to see.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:00 AM
papashimbers
New User
Originally Posted by duckduke
That's fabulous!!....... I have Lariat but really considered an XL/STX or XLT.

I pull a lot of parts, but I would have to see a video or something to be able to pull the steering wheel. Just never mess with them.

My previous Lariat had a tan interior and tan leather steering wheel. Some sun screen residue on my hand destroyed the leather in the upper section of the wheel. I ended up putting a leather cover over it but I guess I should have searched a video. I could have replace for a slight cost difference.

Anyway..... one of my main "wants" in the Lariat is the "auto climate control". Not sure how possible or cost effective that would be?? But it would be interesting to see.
For the steering wheel, the YouTube video posted at the beginning of the thread shows perfectly how to swap the wheel. It was super easy, disconnect the batteries, push in the clips on the side of the wheel to remove the airbag, unclip some wires, unscrew one main bolt holding the wheel and it's off. Took me 10 minutes max to do.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:37 AM
zelinadc
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes - I do have the power tailgate lock

Quick Reply: XLT Upgrades - Leather Steering Wheel, Trailer Hook Up Light