Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Another 7.3 or...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 09:20 AM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another 7.3 or...

So next spring I'm going to be getting a new truck if it hare-lips the governor. I've been looking at 99-03 7.3's again in preparation but I've heard the new 6.7's are just as good. What do you guys think? After the 6.0 debacle I figured had really messed up anything newer than 2003, but maybe I'm wrong?

All I tow right now is a 3500 lb boat. In a few years i plan on getting a camper around 20-30ft or so.

Financing isn't a consideration so an older truck is fine. I only buy what I can afford - no greedy banker will be involved. (If I can make payments, I can make save-ments and just buy it outright!) Plus i'm Scottish so I don't like owing anybody.

Some plusses for staying with 7.3 - i've already got all the tools (ha ha...ha ha....ahhhhhh.....) and a cabinet of leftover parts. And I already know the engine pretty well along with the most common problems.

Argument for the 6.7 - I'll also be driving from OK to Texas pretty regularly too, about once every 3 weeks or so, and want to make sure I get there without having to stop and replace a gas pump or tie rod end on the way every trip.

Whatcha think, my non-biased buddies? Why should I pick one or the other?

Old 08-27-2017, 12:41 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
I would spend some time in the 6.7 forums. See what they are saying good and bad about it. The biggest CON IMO is all the electronics, it would be very hard to work on it especially once it gets some miles on it. However, the new trucks really shine when it comes to comfort and towing. Good luck...

Old 08-27-2017, 02:43 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Argument for the 6.7 ...... none.

do you want a computer on wheels? do you have money burning a hole in your pocket?

they are nice, no doubt. but old green runs just as good as she did when i picked her up 12 years ago and all she ever really asks for is diesel in the tank.

this forum really helped make that possible. thanks guys!!

Old 08-27-2017, 04:05 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 809 Likes on 591 Posts
The later 6.0s can be made very reliable, I'd keep that in your playlist. The tricks to making them bullet proof are very well known by now. Plus they can make more powah!

I'd prefer a 7.3 for same reasons you mention, familiarity plus tools, parts, etc. And it's still very well supported in the aftermarket, and I really don't need the extra potential power of a 6.0. But if I had to choose between a clapped out 7.3 and a creampuff 6.0, I'd get the creampuff.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:28 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,477 Likes on 2,860 Posts
I will never own a newer diesel that is out of warranty. This is the primary reason why I bought a 7.3 and it was the best decision I made in buying a truck. The newer trucks are shiny and flashy and they sure look nice. But I would not be comfortable with the lack of work I could do on it WHEN it breaks down, because it will.

It has to go to the dealer for anything other than fluid changes. I will keep on trucking by the dealer with my camper in tow (details in signature) as the 6.7 driver is sitting in the waiting room to see their repair bill.

The first run of 6.7's (2011 I think) had some issues, but mid 2012 and up are said to be better. Good luck with your choice, but choose wisely my friend.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:46 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Are you dead set on a diesel? The newer F150's are pretty capable and may more than cover your needs while needing less in maintenance in the long run?

Just wanted to give you some other considerations given what you listed it's used for...

Old 08-27-2017, 09:08 PM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
If you don't mind driving a loud, stinky dinosaur around for more years to come, I'd go with a 7.3.

If you are willing to take the time and effort to learn how to buy a 6.0 without getting shafted, the 05-07s are great trucks. There are more expensive components to go bad on them though. They are without a doubt, faster than the 7.3 and have a far superior automatic transmission. They also need head studs to be able to safely utilize more than stock power. They are also much less tolerant to abuse and extended maintenance intervals. They can go 400-500k miles with good care and some luck, but they die earlier on average, compared to the 7.3.

Avoid the 6.4 at all costs.

As others have said, the 6.7s are very powerful and pretty reliable, even when 100% stock. Bulletproof 6 speed auto, smooth quiet ride, more creature comforts, all at the cost of higher purchase and repair prices and being at the mercy of the mechanics when it breaks.

My dad has a 2015 f150 3.5L ecoboost and I'm very impressed with it. My dad gets about 18-19mpg unloaded and around 10mpg when hauling a 8000lb travel trailer. It has tons of towing power and is like a redneck ferrari to drive around. I had a 430+hp 2011 mustang gt and that f-150 is darn near as fast as that car was. I'm confident that the 3.5 ecoboost in a mustang would be substantially faster than the current 5.0 Coyote engine.

Honestly, if my income were a little higher and i didn't tow a 11k lb 5th wheel, i would have bought a new f150, instead of another 7.3.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:47 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I seriously considered the 6.0 at one time, because it was inexpensive and on display on the way to work. Bulletproofing is the answer to the bulk of the 6.oh factor, but I could never get past a conversation I had with a diesel mechanic one time: His parking lot was completely backed up with 6.0 trucks (with only one 7.3L in the lot), and he said his bread is buttered by the 6.0.

I can't say the 6.0 is off the list, but every time I see another FICM or stiction thread title in the 6.0 forums, I'm nudged away from the platform. Our rigs reliably burn just about anything that resembles diesel, and I find that very comforting.

Out of warranty 6.7L? I find that very frightening. I don't know if they resolved the fuel system imploding if it can't digest it's latest meal, or if it's any cheaper to replace the whole system. I do know it's a whole bank of computers that coordinate with each other to keep the cylinders pumping. Electronic failures mean one thing - you are about to buy a module, and likely some programming... and even I as an electronic technician can't repair those when they fail. This will not be cheap for a very long time.

With a trailer at 3500 pounds, I was going to mention the Ecoboost. Once you mentioned up to 30 foot of trailer, my thoughts returned to diesel... simply because of engine life.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:58 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Not sure if your Moto is...id rather push a did, then drive a Chevy, but...in comparison, I got a "wet dream" of a tuck in my back pocket. 04' Chevy C.C. Dually diesel for 12,500.00. Never towed..etc, just the boss's rig to deliver parts...i can c dump my truck for 5-6k, and come up with the rest of buy it then sell mine....but!, the problem is, I know my way around the 7.3., I don't with the 6.6.. The amount of $$$ to learn the "curve"..etc, keeps my nutz in the wifes' handbag and proudly keeps me jumping back into my ride now....the parts, tools, time..etc to learn something new..forgetsboutit. Maybe its just I don't v want to anymore, lol

Old 08-28-2017, 09:03 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
Well, your towing scenario may make this not a big option, but personally, as I've been considering the future replacement for my truck, I've landed on planning for a 2011-2012 F250 with the 6.2 gas engine. They seem to have proven themselves to be reliable for at least 250K-300K miles, have been out for 6 years now, and they have the same fuel economy and tow ratings as our 7.3's. A plus for me is the fact that I can get it in my old-mannish growing tendency for the plushier KR or Platinum trim packages.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:29 PM
SgtNick_PSD
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's my 2 cents...

The 7.3 is obviously a great, reliable motor. The technology is older, and they are MUCH less powerful than a 6.7. BUT..... The 6.7 is ridiculously expensive when it comes to repairs. If something gets in your fuel, and you have to replace the injectors etc, expect an $8000 bill. (Just happened to my brother in law - that's not a guess in the price)

7.3s get much better fuel economy, due to the emissions junk. Expect 9 hauling and 11 empty in a 6.7.

The 6.7s haven't been around all that long, and we're not sure how long to expect them to last or what issues may come up as they age, vs the 7.3 which has been around a long time and have proven to last a long time. We know the issues they have.

The 6.4s are JUNK...

Now, I've done a lot of looking into the 6.0 motor lately, because I'm moving into the hotshot driving industry. So I've done a lot of research, calling people, talking with people who have owned them, etc. You hear a lot of bashing on them. But I'd suggest giving Super Duty Service a call. That's all they do. 6.0L motors. I'm preparing to buy myself an 05 1 ton dually soon, and immediately send it to them to have them tear it down and bulletproof it. If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, the 05-07's is where you'll find a lot of the pros pushing you... They are very reliable, once they've been 'dealerproofed', and they get great mileage.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Benjaminesh
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welp, Owning both my verdict is the 6.7, Yes I love my 7.3 but the 6.7 is every bit as reliable (maybe more) with brakes and a transmission that is just simply worlds better than the older trucks.

And why is the world would anyone who can work on the 7.3 not be able to work on the 6.7?? Yes there are more electronics but they are surprisingly not that hard to work on.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:12 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,477 Likes on 2,860 Posts
Benjaminesh, I respect your opinion and see your point of view, but disagree drastically on the "And why is the world would anyone who can work on the 7.3 not be able to work on the 6.7??"

What happens when the steering gear for the truck goes out, can I change that in a campground like I did for my 7.3? What about when there is a DEF issue of some sort and the truck goes into "limp mode". What about issues with the EGR, DPF, XXX or XXX system all of which will take the truck out of commission.

There are very few things that will take the 7.3 down and out for the count that someone cannot fix on the side of the road. The 6.7 on the other hand has a lot of things that will take it down for the count. Perhaps not right now, but give it a few more years when the trucks start getting into the 200K miles range when the 7.3 is really just getting broken in.

We had a 2015 6.6 Duramax at work when I was active duty, and that thing was strong, but boy was it a pain in the *** to maintain properly.

To each their own and I do like the 6.7, but would NEVER own one without a warranty.

When we were looking to buy a diesel truck 3.5 years ago we looked long and hard at all of the big names in the business. I settled on the 7.3 due to the reliability, longevity, proven record and my own mechanical skills to be able to work on it when needed. One of the biggest selling points for me was the fact that it does not have all of the EPA mandated addons that all of the new generations do. Maybe they have this stuff ironed out now, but my gut tells me no they do not.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:20 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
^^^ going off of what you mentioned Sous, there was a member, not sure if still around, but, believe name was Rush6401. I remember the thread like it was yesterday. On the side of the road, waiting fur the motor to cool enough to lay upon it, trailer in tow, 5er, he ripped a blown up turbo out, and installed his backup within the hour...not to bad I you ask me..👍

Old 08-28-2017, 06:43 PM
Benjaminesh
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Benjaminesh, I respect your opinion and see your point of view, but disagree drastically on the "And why is the world would anyone who can work on the 7.3 not be able to work on the 6.7??"

What happens when the steering gear for the truck goes out, can I change that in a campground like I did for my 7.3? What about when there is a DEF issue of some sort and the truck goes into "limp mode". What about issues with the EGR, DPF, XXX or XXX system all of which will take the truck out of commission.

There are very few things that will take the 7.3 down and out for the count that someone cannot fix on the side of the road. The 6.7 on the other hand has a lot of things that will take it down for the count. Perhaps not right now, but give it a few more years when the trucks start getting into the 200K miles range when the 7.3 is really just getting broken in.

We had a 2015 6.6 Duramax at work when I was active duty, and that thing was strong, but boy was it a pain in the *** to maintain properly.

To each their own and I do like the 6.7, but would NEVER own one without a warranty.

When we were looking to buy a diesel truck 3.5 years ago we looked long and hard at all of the big names in the business. I settled on the 7.3 due to the reliability, longevity, proven record and my own mechanical skills to be able to work on it when needed. One of the biggest selling points for me was the fact that it does not have all of the EPA mandated addons that all of the new generations do. Maybe they have this stuff ironed out now, but my gut tells me no they do not.
Steering gear in a 6.7 (up to 2016 at least) is almost identical to the 7.3's, If needed I could change it on the side of the road, Its a tad harder to get to, But not much at all.

I have never had it go into limp mode in 125,xxx miles. And if any of the emissions components ever go bad they will simply "fall off" but for as complex as these systems are they have most of the bugs ironed out.

I have seen two 6.7 odo pics now with over 800k miles on them with the original engine and trans. and while a 7.3 may give you that many trouble free miles the 4r100 would most likely not.

Each to his own, but having owned both I favor the 6.7

Quick Reply: Another 7.3 or...