6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Any Experience with Enerburn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 11:34 AM
jaxf250
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
Don't bother with an oil additive. The new CK-4 oils are thinner and more slippery than CJ-4 and oil additives were formulated for CJ-4. Also, I tried AR9100 for a while and didn't observe any improvement in fuel mileage. Enerburn can be your only additive if you live in CA or TX where the standards for diesel are much higher than the rest of the country; otherwise, just a cetane booster like Power Service will do. Enerburn adds lubricity, fuel stabilizers and anti-bacterial components, in addition to combustion catalysts and soot modifiers. I don't know if soot modifier is an actual thing, but whatever reduces the burn off temperature of soot.
I'm in FLA - I'm sure we have just basic ULSD diesel with low cetane, so I will look into the booster you recommend and compare cost etc to PM22A - thanks Ski.

(truck is "in transit" acc. to 800# folks - waiting for my dealer to give me a more specific update - not too much longer!)

Old 09-13-2017, 08:08 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My truck is in this funny state right now. I got a partial regen that only got the DPF down to 95% returning from my tow trip. And while driving around yesterday looking for a welding shop that had moved several miles, I had an unnoticed regen that took it down to 85%. So now my DPF Load (on the CTS) is 0 and my GPL is .91 or essentially no soot but my truck has yet to complete the regen cycle. Enerburn is doing a great job, but the truck doesn't understand that; it just wants to complete the 500 mile regen. LOL

Old 09-16-2017, 07:15 PM
RickBraden
Tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Started using Enerburn 800 miles ago towing my 5er to Branson, MO. Using the oz per 20 gals & my Optilube Summer Plus. I've been getting 11.5 + miles/gal with 58 - 65 mph. It only regened once. It never went more than 200 miles not towing. I'm happy as can be with the passive regens. I'll know because driving around town for a week & towing 800 miles home will give me good info on Enerburn.

Last edited by RickBraden; 09-16-2017 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 09-16-2017, 09:37 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by RickBraden
Started using Enerburn 800 miles ago towing my 5er to Branson, MO. Using the oz per 20 gals & my Optilube Summer Plus. I've been getting 11.5 + miles/gal with 58 - 65 mph. It only regened once. It never went more than 200 miles not towing. I'm happy as can be with the passive regens. I'll know because driving around town for a week & towing 800 miles home will give me good info on Enerburn.
You can have all the passive regens you can get, but, you will still do an active regen once you have reached 500 miles since the end of the last active regen. It does not matter what the soot level is nor what the % the filter is showing.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:12 PM
RickBraden
Tuned

That is what I read about the ECU. It was a treat to not see regents & the wasted fuel for every 200 miles. I guess when I'm back home & not towing I'll see forced regents a lot more often, rats.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:58 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I get a regen every 100 - 150 miles... And for some reason with the latest EC strategy, I've gotten some "drive to clean" messages, which I did since I didn't want to have to limp the truck to the dealer. This is starting to get to the point that I am looking into a delete, something I really don't want to do. However, I may try this stuff out since it you are all reporting that it helped you out.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:55 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
As reported, I had my first 500 mile regen since I retired 16 months ago once I started using Enerburn. My truck has been trying to complete that regen since returning home, but I was not in a place where I could do that. Finally, at the start of returning with my fiver from a welding shop where I had the cracked step support repaired, it made its 3rd attempt and just kept driving until it was finished. It was strange to see DPF Load at 0% and GPL at .90 and lower for most of it until the DPF Filter got down to 40%. At any rate, I can't judge my fuel mileage at all since my driving has been so varied. I start a 4 week trip next week so I will get to see how it does, but it is obvious that my soot level is burning off much faster than before. Yes, I will get a regen every 516 miles on the average, but that is much better than 330-390 like I have been getting.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:49 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
I still believe you will get the lower regen mileage as you have previously, once you start the local and/or short trips and not on long distance trips where you will have more passive regens. The short trips and/or about town will not allow the system to reach the approx 750* for passive regens to start or continue once started.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:46 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
I still believe you will get the lower regen mileage as you have previously, once you start the local and/or short trips and not on long distance trips where you will have more passive regens. The short trips and/or about town will not allow the system to reach the approx 750* for passive regens to start or continue once started.
Exactly! It still takes heat to burn soot, so you need get out and run/work it to burn soot off. Enerburn still helps to burn it more of it during the short periods of heat and during the regens.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:59 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
Exactly! It still takes heat to burn soot, so you need get out and run/work it to burn soot off. Enerburn still helps to burn it more of it during the short periods of heat and during the regens.
That is their claim. But what proof from the average owner/user is provided. I believe you will not see any improvement over time with the distance on short hauls/town/city use of the truck and regen distances. Is your $$$ and your sanity, so maybe it will at least give you peace of mind.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:15 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Larry, I appreciate you being the devil's advocate here as it brings up cons as well as pros. But there is more to think about than just fuel mileage and regen minimizing. As did AR6200, it cleans the fuel system, stabilizes the fuel and improves combustion. Cetane boosters improve combustion as well which is why CA and the eastern counties of Texas mandate higher cetane than the rest of the US. Improved combustion means less soot remaining after combustion and than means less soot in the EGR, combustion chambers and in the turbo. That means longer life for some components and less maintenance costs.
Case in point, I've been using AR6200 for the last 40K and, when I replaced my IC cold pipe, my throttle body was fairly clean while other talked about the gunk in theirs. While Enerburn helps for passive regen when the exhaust gets hot enough, it also reduces the amount of soot produced in any case, including short trips. So while it is true that folks who only do short trips don't get enough heat for passive, it is not true there is no benefit to using it. But perhaps AR6200 would be the product to use for short trippers. Remember, even with shorter trips, I was getting 330-390 mile regen intervals on AR6200 combined with Opti-Lube Summer Plus. I hear of folks getting regens at 100-200 mile intervals and that is incredibly wasteful. Even a bump from 150 mile intervals to 200 mile intervals is a big improvement.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:39 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dakster
I get a regen every 100 - 150 miles... And for some reason with the latest EC strategy, I've gotten some "drive to clean" messages, which I did since I didn't want to have to limp the truck to the dealer. This is starting to get to the point that I am looking into a delete, something I really don't want to do. However, I may try this stuff out since it you are all reporting that it helped you out.
Anything you can do to reduce soot will help to improve your regen frequency. If there is any bio-diesel in your fuel, you don't need to worry about lubricity so much, so a cetane booster that increases cetane 5-7 points would be good to use. I use Opti-Lube Summer Plus because it is one of the least expensive as well as one of the best. Diesel Fuel Lube ? Save Money on Your Opti-lube Order
Archoil's AR6200 and Enerburn are both combustion catalysts that improve fuel burn without boosting cetane so they can be used concurrently with cetane boosters. I got the best MPG boost from the Summer Plus (a little over 1 mpg) and a smaller boost with AR6200. Reducing soot will extend the life of all components exposed to soot to include the EGR, turbo, combustion chambers, oil and exhaust components. Also, try to eliminate as much idle time as possible. I even turn my engine off for any road construction that looks like a wait of 3 minutes or more, but I live in Vermont where the AC isn't always on. LOL

Old 09-18-2017, 01:05 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
I am a skeptic. Enerburn's web information reads somewhat like so many, promising so much. Digging into it deeper though, it is plausible that it does what they say. I ordered some and will report back from a skeptics point of view. I have kept a record of regens to date.

If you want to try it, go directly to http://betterdiesel.com/shop/, much better price than Amazon. Even at this price, if the only benefit is increasing my regen average from 350 miles to 500 miles, it will not pay back the cost (each regen costs about 1.2 gallons additional fuel). I'd need an additional .5 mpg improvement to break even. Though there is some intangible benefit of having fewer regens.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Brandon606
Senior User
I am not trying to hijack here but since we are talking regen frequency products, I am going to throw an observation I found over the past month. My truck would regen pretty religiously at 250-300 miles, non-pulling, back and forth to work. I had changed the factory oil out at 1,000 miles to Rotella T6 (CJ-4) about the time I purchased the Edge CTS monitor. With all the Shell Rotella talk I decided to dump it at 3500 miles and found Delo 400LE in CJ-4 5W-40. I immediately noticed the DPF soot percentage would crawl upward, and sure enough, first regen with "new" oil was at 450 miles. I had never got that many miles before a regen. I am on the second cycle now and have about 160 miles and its at 35%. All driving is the same, same fuel, same air temp, etc. etc., only change was the oil. This is something I am keeping tabs on as I have the means to monitor and I hate the regens and the longer between the better. Just an early observation on my truck, if it continues I plan on posting a thread about my findings.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:54 AM
RickBraden
Tuned

Is thar Delo full synthetic? Thank you for the input.

Quick Reply: Any Experience with Enerburn?