2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Lariat, KR, Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 05:04 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,195 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by FishRanger
Thanks for taking the time to do that. It is good information. We are mostly flatlanders but like I said above, do take a trip to Colorado once a year. Getting there is not too difficult for us coming from the east as we usually just go to Rocky Mountain NP. We tend to stay in one place with our fifth wheel and use the truck for running around. I guess my thinking is somewhat better fuel mileage with the 3.55 but it may not be enough to even matter. Like I've been told if you have to worry about mileage pulling a 16K fifth wheel you probably need to just stay home.

Maybe there is a reason that almost every truck I see on a dealer's lot has the 4.10. I always set the cruise for 67 mph when we tow. So, looking at the above do you think the 4.10 would work better with lower rpm's? Also, does lower rpm's translate into better fuel economy? I ask that wondering if I need to just stay home.
I've been pleasantly surprised with the 4.10's in my truck...helps accelerate these heavy trucks easily weather pulling a load or empty. I've been averaging 16-17 mpg for my normal daily driving and getting 9 to 10 mpg depending on speed and road conditions pulling our 14K pound trailer. Truck shifts into 6th at a little over 30 mph and pulls nicely after that. I usually cruise at 65 mph and being retired not worried about speeding!

Old 08-25-2017, 06:53 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Paw's 150 Lariat
Probably a little more then that for me to get in a RAM!!
Some things about the RAM really appeal to me. Even as a Ford dually owner, I think the current RAM dually is better looking. In fact, personally, I think the current Super Duty's kind of have an ugly front end...looks very much like a Silverado HD. It's OK, and not that bad, but it could be better. I liked the previous generation Ford dually better. I do like the new cab and bed design, and rear taillight design. The overall package in terms of features and amenities, ride quality, power, smoothness, and quietness is unbeatable. That, and the fact that I like Fords, keeps me in the Ford.

Obviously, I like the 6-speed manual option. More like a real truck.

But some things *don't appeal* at all: the Italian ownership and Mexico build, the goofy cut out rear seats, the lack of rear reading lights, the power delivery of the Cummins, the sound of the Cummins, and more.

I think my "ideal" truck would be a 2016 body set atop the new 2017 frame, with the new 2017 engine, but with a nice ZF 6-speed manual, and all the new interior creature comforts.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:15 PM
MileHiGuy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello
Looking at ordering a '18 F250 and I have noticed quite a few complaining about the heat of the Pano Roof. I have had many cars and truck with sunroofs and never used them much until I got a Touareg with the Pano roof and enjoyed it very much.

I am a bit of an AC snob and to combat the heat issue I immediately put solar window tint at the same time I tinted the front windows and heat build up was not an issue. No issues either with being a darker tint.

Now if it's a leaker... that would be a deal killer. I think I will forewarn my fleet manager that before I would take final delivery, it needs to survive an automated car wash

Old 08-31-2017, 11:30 PM
theboom
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Government (well, maybe not this Admin) wants us to all be in vehicles with no steering wheel and no pedals. These "conveniences" are the first step in getting us acclimated. Personally, I enjoy physically driving a machine.
That's won't be happening. The driver aids might become so advanced that it could protect you from every little mistake you make or even turn on complete self driving when you mess up and then return control after it's delt with the dangerous situation though. But the option to drive and the control that comes with that (steering wheel and pedals), is not going away.