1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 02:01 PM
scotth
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Leather Seats

Greetings. I now have a 2002 powerstroke F350 Lariat. I noticed when I was looking for trucks a few months ago that anything with leather the driver seat on the left side looked really worn on almost all the rigs I looked at. I finally found a 02 with 22k on it that literally didnt have a mark on it, and the seat looked almost new. Has anyone thought about switching just the seat bottom from side to side once you see wear starting on the drivers side? Can this be done? I now am very careful when getting in and out of the truck just to make sure the seat doesnt get trashed. I wish Ford used a little better quality on the leather they used. I have had this truck for 3 months now and I love it! This web site rocks by the way.

2002 Powerstroke F350 Short Bed 4x4 Lariat Dk Green Beige bottom, 33's, front leafs re arched for 3 inch lift in front and stock ride, Predator, gauges,

Old 12-09-2003, 06:23 PM
1BADF350_4XCREW7.3
Senior User
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my brother used to work in the factory that made the seats (leather, cloth, etc.) down in Juarez. There is no difference in leather quality between mfr's - Ford, Mopar, GM since they come out of the same factory with the same hides. Oh you may have different textures or types of leather (lamb, cow, etc.), but this factory makes the frame, cuts the material and sows them up. The only thing the assembly plant does is pull them from the boxcar and bolt 'em into place.

Part of the problem is with the higher step in height, you tend to drag your keester on and off the seat more so than the family wagon.

Also, you can't swap the cover side to side - sealbelts, controls, etc are different. Best bet is to take care and clean and condition them regularly. Hope this helps, not trying to be a smart aleck.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:33 PM
xanthias
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can't swap side to side, but you can put a new leather bottom cover on, right from the dealer. I did this in my 2000 for the same reason you describe--driver side worn, passenger looked new. Seems like it cost me about $150 installed. Looks new now.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:36 PM
scotth
Junior User
No, I appreciate the feedback......good info. yes, it looks as if all the domestics have about the same quality leather, not like my Lexus LS 400!!! I realize that the controls and such are different, but what if you completely disasembled the seat all the way down to just the actual cushion foam and leather part. I looked at it closely at lunch today and the controls, seat belt etc can come off and be re assembled......from what I saw there is no real difference in just the foam portion and leather covering....I am gonna take a closer look....but you may be right... take care.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:42 PM
scotth
Junior User
Xanthias,

Thanks!

For 150.00 or so it would just be better to go that route. I will wait till it shows more wear and maybe just replace it that way.

Scott