Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:26 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
Not 100% sure why. Picked up a slight vibration 80 miles earlier, pulled over for lunch and i jumped out n hit all 8 tire's bearings with the temp gun, checked temp on all the trucks suspension, bearings, sidewalls, tread, oil filter, radiator hoses, exhuast, zf6, u-joints, diff, rotors, calipers. Pretty much everything i could think of that would cause it. Checked torque on all 52 lugnuts, checked air pressure, scratched my head n prayed it wasn't a front hub bearing (lubed in Feb)
I assume a ply was separating, or formed a bubble or picked up a nail/bolt that i was parked on and couldn't see during that inspection. Gonna get a new tire in a few min

Last edited by Wes444; 06-20-2018 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Add pix
Old 06-20-2018, 09:54 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Good job of not losing it and all told you made out pretty good...no wrecked truck and it looks like the rim is still good.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Glad everyone is safe and the swap was easy as it could be for you and the family.

I have been a customer of Cooper Tires for many years and prefer their products over most others.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:40 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I quit Cooper tires a couple of years ago when one of them did $3k damage to my truck.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:34 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I had a similar issue with BFG. First set of Mud-Terrain KM2 tires had one start to separate and I caught it before anything happened. Discount Tire replaced the tire at no charge and BFG (to their merit) more than handsomely compensated me for the other three to get a whole new set (my whole set was from the same lot). About 20K miles into the new set the right front tread separated on the freeway taking out the quarter panel, ABS sensor line/connector, and bent my nerf bar (304 SS).

USAA covered the repairs and same story as above with the tires but this time I went with the All-Terrain KO2. I got 5 tires (spare included) for a price I couldn't pass up. My dad gets about 50-60K out of his AT KO2 tires but I'll be lucky to get 40K on this set. I bought the truck with Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires and switched to BFG for the entire time I've owned the truck. After this set, though, I'm jumping ship and not looking back. Plus almost every other SUV/truck out here has BFG AT KO2 tires.

Yes these trucks are heavy and, yes, these trucks eat tires. There's got to be a tire out there that can go a few years for me (I rack up about 18K miles a year) before I empty my wallet for new shoes for the Money Pit. I will definitely stick with AT (or MT) tires as I off-road frequently...and yes I know the pavement eats the softer MT tires.

There are a couple out there with tread warranties (Falken Wildpeak, Cooper Discoverer ATP, Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3) that would at least provide some discount on another set when they don't make their warranty. My wife's Jeep had 70K mile warranty tires that were at 2/32" before 30K miles which made for a nice pro-rated refund.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:55 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by brian42
I had a similar issue with BFG. First set of Mud-Terrain KM2 tires had one start to separate and I caught it before anything happened. Discount Tire replaced the tire at no charge and BFG (to their merit) more than handsomely compensated me for the other three to get a whole new set (my whole set was from the same lot). About 20K miles into the new set the right front tread separated on the freeway taking out the quarter panel, ABS sensor line/connector, and bent my nerf bar (304 SS).

USAA covered the repairs and same story as above with the tires but this time I went with the All-Terrain KO2. I got 5 tires (spare included) for a price I couldn't pass up. My dad gets about 50-60K out of his AT KO2 tires but I'll be lucky to get 40K on this set. I bought the truck with Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires and switched to BFG for the entire time I've owned the truck. After this set, though, I'm jumping ship and not looking back. Plus almost every other SUV/truck out here has BFG AT KO2 tires.

Yes these trucks are heavy and, yes, these trucks eat tires. There's got to be a tire out there that can go a few years for me (I rack up about 18K miles a year) before I empty my wallet for new shoes for the Money Pit. I will definitely stick with AT (or MT) tires as I off-road frequently...and yes I know the pavement eats the softer MT tires.

There are a couple out there with tread warranties (Falken Wildpeak, Cooper Discoverer ATP, Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3) that would at least provide some discount on another set when they don't make their warranty. My wife's Jeep had 70K mile warranty tires that were at 2/32" before 30K miles which made for a nice pro-rated refund.
Look into a set of 19.5 wheels and tires. Somebody here has them on a srw truck i think.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:11 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
There are a couple of members running 19.5" wheels on SRW trucks here. I can dig up their names if you like as I have had several conversations with them and their experiences with the tires and rims they are running.

I was contemplating 19.5" when we thought we would be full time RV'ing by now and I had a cracked rim after showing up to Joint Base Charleston during my transition assistance (GTPS or TAP based on your age) out of the military.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:12 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a (dumb) question.
Are you running tires with the proper load rating? I personally run Michelin's. A little pricey but works best in the log run for me.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:17 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I am surprised to see such bad experiences with the Coopers, but I guess that ****** happens and I have been lucky enough (knock on wood) to not have issues since I switched to Cooper years ago.

After about 25K miles on my Cooper ST MAXX for the truck I would say they have 50-60% life left in them.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:43 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
Just a (dumb) question.
Are you running tires with the proper load rating? I personally run Michelin's. A little pricey but works best in the log run for me.
Load Range E (3750lbs @ 80psi).

Fun fact: Michelin owns BF Goodrich tires

Originally Posted by Sous
After about 25K miles on my Cooper ST MAXX for the truck I would say they have 50-60% life left in them.
One of the tires I'm considering. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:26 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Wesley, glad that y'all are ok! Never seen a tire do that in my personal experience.

Longest lasting tires I've had on my truck were the ones that came with it from the factory.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:42 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Dang, looks like I missed out on all the fun! Mornin' everyone. Wes, glad you are ok with no other incidents. Now you have me concerned about my Cooper ATs. Ah well, I guess it remains to be seen what will happen.

Have a great one fellas. Lots of cattle to bring in this morning. Catch up later!

Old 06-21-2018, 08:48 AM
Cloverro
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another beautiful humid Thursday on Cape Cod. It got nice way earlier this year. Last year it rained for over two months nonstop. Now it feels like summer. But the sooner it gets nice, the sooner these tourist jackasses start invading and the price of everything jumps sky high.

here’s an insider tip if you ever come to Cape Cod: DON’T try the lobster ice cream.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:36 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Well...with the forthcoming 'trade wars' lobstah prices should soon be dropping, I can hardly wait!

Old 06-21-2018, 10:06 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Cloverro
here’s an insider tip if you ever come to Cape Cod: DON’T try the lobster ice cream.
I love lobster, I love ice cream, but ewwwwww. No really, ewww!

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***