Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 05:50 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Let me get this straight... PG&E is cutting power off as a preventive measure to reduce wildfires in CA? From what I gather PG&E claims the high winds are causing the lines to come into contact with trees and causing wildfires...

HERE IS AN IDEA!!! TRIM BACK THE TREES LIKE REST OF THE COUNTRY DOES!!!

I would like to hear some thoughts and experiences from someone that has a better view of the cluster F going on out there than what I am provided on the so called "news" outlets.
Originally Posted by HD Rider
They can't trim the trees because some bug or bird might be left homeless and they are far more important than us humans.
My understanding is that this is the true and correct answer. I did not dig into it but the word I got is that CA has denied the power company the right to trim the vegetation from their lines. Then CA caught fire and burnt down last year and they blamed the power company and sued them and won a judgement against them so now they just flip the switch off when it gets windy. If I have it wrong please correct me.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:51 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
They treating people here like a third world country.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:59 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
They treating people here like a third world country.
I can tell you that there are a lot of folks here in the east who feel like that is what it has become.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:08 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,466 Likes on 2,855 Posts
Mark, what you said makes a lot of sense. Now PG&E is doing what they need to in the name of self preservation. All while giving the middle finger to the CA government.

I can tell you that when the power company out here trims back trees, the birds and bugs still have plenty of other trees to live in.

I look forward to some others out there like Chet that can give us a piece of real world experience before jumping to conclusions and on the bash CA bandwagon.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:15 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Mark, what you said makes a lot of sense. Now PG&E is doing what they need to in the name of self preservation. All while giving the middle finger to the CA government.

I can tell you that when the power company out here trims back trees, the birds and bugs still have plenty of other trees to live in.

I look forward to some others out there like Chet that can give us a piece of real world experience before jumping to conclusions and on the bash CA bandwagon.
It sounds surreal, that's for sure. If it is the truth it's what we call 'the chickens coming home to roost'.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:21 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
This is unbelievable.... seriously.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:23 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BBslider001
This is unbelievable.... seriously.
Yeah, so is a 10 round mag limit.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:27 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Well...after reading a little from one newspaper out there it is the fault of PG&E for not keeping their lines trimmed.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:03 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/cali...xTS8QzyyI6VMQc

Stewart

Old 10-27-2019, 08:26 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,466 Likes on 2,855 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Stewart, is this an example of CA bashing or is there some real world information in there that you were intending to share with us?

I don't buy the BS of "what happens in CA will soon happen around the nation"...

Look at real estate, ammunition, fuel, 7.3L diesel becoming illegal, etc... At least in rural GA a state government official would have a very hard time making some of the crap CA pulls law.

I don't want this to turn into a CA bashing event, but I was hoping to get more information on what is happening out there from real people and not some politically charged "unbiased" news source.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:38 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I don't even have words. Stewart, have you lost power at all recently??

Old 10-28-2019, 12:38 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Stewart, is this an example of CA bashing or is there some real world information in there that you were intending to share with us?

I don't buy the BS of "what happens in CA will soon happen around the nation"...

Look at real estate, ammunition, fuel, 7.3L diesel becoming illegal, etc... At least in rural GA a state government official would have a very hard time making some of the crap CA pulls law.

I don't want this to turn into a CA bashing event, but I was hoping to get more information on what is happening out there from real people and not some politically charged "unbiased" news source.

My bad. I meant to include something akin to: This is an Op-Ed piece that, digging through the obvious slant, contains some info that can help illuminate how it's really a very complex problem that many parties can have blame placed on.

Originally Posted by BBslider001
I don't even have words. Stewart, have you lost power at all recently??
Nah. I live in the city. Not really much fuel here to go up like rural areas, or a city with lots of greenbelt area's so I don't think I'll ever be included in any preventive power shut-offs.

Stewart

Old 10-28-2019, 01:27 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 797 Likes on 586 Posts
I have not lost power, but I'm unincorporated county, not a town or city. Plenty of folks (approx 900k) have lost power with no clue when it will be restored. My mother lives in Windsor, which right now is the front line on fighting the Kincaid fire. There are many fires but that one is big, like 30k acres. High winds are a serious problem. Hoping the firefighters can continue to defend the houses there, it's been amazing to watch on TV. My mother's house is on the other side of town so I'm fairly confident. Thankfully she's on a cruise atm and out of harms' way. I was there Friday to pick up some things and now I don't know if I'll ever see it again. Power is out there, plus the towns of Healdsburg, Windsor, Sebastopol, and northern third of Santa Rosa and everything west to the ocean (approx 180k people) are under mandatory evacuation. The nat'l guard and LEOs patrolling the towns for looters, no issues yet. 3400 firefighters and 352 engines are in use. Here's the latest status from Cal Fire attached.

To be fair CA has always burned. Spanish explorers reported the entire coastline aflame as they sailed by. But the current issues could be controlled much more successfully. Not really bashing PGE they operate with the rules they are given.

Attached Images
Old 10-28-2019, 06:35 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
I have not lost power, but I'm unincorporated county, not a town or city. Plenty of folks (approx 900k) have lost power with no clue when it will be restored. My mother lives in Windsor, which right now is the front line on fighting the Kincaid fire. There are many fires but that one is big, like 30k acres. High winds are a serious problem. Hoping the firefighters can continue to defend the houses there, it's been amazing to watch on TV. My mother's house is on the other side of town so I'm fairly confident. Thankfully she's on a cruise atm and out of harms' way. I was there Friday to pick up some things and now I don't know if I'll ever see it again. Power is out there, plus the towns of Healdsburg, Windsor, Sebastopol, and northern third of Santa Rosa and everything west to the ocean (approx 180k people) are under mandatory evacuation. The nat'l guard and LEOs patrolling the towns for looters, no issues yet. 3400 firefighters and 352 engines are in use. Here's the latest status from Cal Fire attached.

To be fair CA has always burned. Spanish explorers reported the entire coastline aflame as they sailed by. But the current issues could be controlled much more successfully. Not really bashing PGE they operate with the rules they are given.
David, I hope all goes well, seriously. I am glad your mom is out of harm's way for now. It is not a good situation. Keep us updated if you would!

Old 10-28-2019, 07:33 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
From what I got out of that article is that #1 PG&E has not been trimming their right of ways as they should be and #2 CA is not permitting the controlled clearing of brush areas so once the ROW's get lit they spread more than they should. It sounds like a failure on more than one front. CA has a lot of non-fans on the east coast and we do fear their ways. NJ is aligning with much of their ways of thinking and we are seriously concerned that it will spread to PA. In fact, we are fighting to keep their ideals on guns and gun ownership at bay here on an almost daily basis. I'd say that GA is also subject to it but we will probably be long gone before it gets that far.

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***