Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 11:03 PM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Well hey, the truck is all good....that's all you need LOL.

But seriously, sounds like you have been busy!!! Why are the winds so crazy?

"Ooooooooklahoma where the winds come whippin' down the plain!" You know the song? It's all true. It's always windy here. Every once in a while we'll get 5-10mph winds but for the most part it's 20-30 mph then when we get rain it's 40-60mph. It's nothing to see winds at just below EF-1 tornado speeds with a tiny rainstorm.

Then people try to put in standard fencing and wonder why it only lasts 2-3 seasons before blowing over. Well I wonder! I just put in 4x6s for the posts set in concrete 3' deep. 2x4's for cross pieces and deck boards for the fence panels. I don't expect to ever re-do my fence again. I also added a 6' pedestrian gate so I can get my mower and 4 wheeler through it easily.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:04 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
Well not entirely... That's definately a given from mid-to western tip of state, father in law gets that craziness at his farm straight north of OKC. Here on the east side of Okiehoma we're in the foothills of the Ozarks. The breeze is 2-3, hard gusts are 20 or 30.

Gotta love a well built fence here though. And gate. Roll my eyes at the broken fences with 4x3" lanscaping timbers for posts after a good storm. For my trailer/mower gate off the street front of the house i took a 10 foot piece of 4 inch 1/4" thick square tubing. Welded a flat cap on both ends, and took a angle grinder with a wire wheel to get clean bare metal, then primer, and a bunch of coats of black paint, then measured a bunch and drilled 3/4" holes straight through on the drill press. Then ran the 2 gate hanger bolts thru it n lowered that heavy sum bish down it's hole 4ft deep followed by 4 80# bags of quickrete, a 4' level, and a 2x4 clamped to each side to hold it just baarely off perfectly level so the gate would want to swing shut, then a week later took a 14' metal bull gate and hung it on that solid post. Next i covered the metal bull gate with my cedar privacy fence slats 3" off the dirt, clears the grass by an inch as it swings, looks like a normal solid fence section from the front as ya drive by. Plenty of room to pull a trailer thru with room on both sides. I HATE saggy gates

Old 06-29-2019, 08:11 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Well hey, the truck is all good....that's all you need LOL.

But seriously, sounds like you have been busy!!! Why are the winds so crazy?
Why...Donald Trump...do you really need to ask?

I've been busy here, mowing grass, gussying up my shiny new to me bulk gas tank, which is now filled with non-alcoholic gasoline. Gonna cookout on July 4 so we're gussying up the back patio too, repainting the deck and such. Then I got a Traeger smoker grill and am working on figuring that out so tomorrow is it's maiden run with ribs. Oh, and summer has arrived later than normal (thank God) with highs around 90 upon us. Can't really complain about spring this year, we've hardly used to A/C 'til this last week.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:10 AM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Why...Donald Trump...do you really need to ask?

I've been busy here, mowing grass, gussying up my shiny new to me bulk gas tank, which is now filled with non-alcoholic gasoline. Gonna cookout on July 4 so we're gussying up the back patio too, repainting the deck and such. Then I got a Traeger smoker grill and am working on figuring that out so tomorrow is it's maiden run with ribs. Oh, and summer has arrived later than normal (thank God) with highs around 90 upon us. Can't really complain about spring this year, we've hardly used to A/C 'til this last week.
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
Well not entirely... That's definately a given from mid-to western tip of state, father in law gets that craziness at his farm straight north of OKC. Here on the east side of Okiehoma we're in the foothills of the Ozarks. The breeze is 2-3, hard gusts are 20 or 30.
My FIL lives up there in Tahl. Lots of green on the ground, friendly skies, it's great. We're looking at houses around Jenks right now

Gotta love a well built fence here though. And gate. Roll my eyes at the broken fences with 4x3" lanscaping timbers for posts after a good storm. For my trailer/mower gate off the street front of the house i took a 10 foot piece of 4 inch 1/4" thick square tubing. Welded a flat cap on both ends, and took a angle grinder with a wire wheel to get clean bare metal, then primer, and a bunch of coats of black paint, then measured a bunch and drilled 3/4" holes straight through on the drill press. Then ran the 2 gate hanger bolts thru it n lowered that heavy sum bish down it's hole 4ft deep followed by 4 80# bags of quickrete, a 4' level, and a 2x4 clamped to each side to hold it just baarely off perfectly level so the gate would want to swing shut, then a week later took a 14' metal bull gate and hung it on that solid post. Next i covered the metal bull gate with my cedar privacy fence slats 3" off the dirt, clears the grass by an inch as it swings, looks like a normal solid fence section from the front as ya drive by. Plenty of room to pull a trailer thru with room on both sides. I HATE saggy gates
Why that ain't a fence! You gotta pour 20 bags of concrete down the middle and reinforce it with rebar to call it a fence! (I seriously thought you were going to say you did that by the time that paragraph was finished, haha). All kidding aside, that's post/gate combo sounds like it'll outlast your grandkids if they remember to paint it every few years. You weren't kidding about hating saggy gates!

Speaking of gates, have you guys ever seen a bumble bee (or some kind of bumblebee looking thing) that bores holes in wood? I saw one run up under my pedestrian door gate yesterday and thought "hope he doesn't build a nest under there". Went to check on him and he was gone! I looked in all the corners and nothin!

So I ran my finger under the gate cross bar (horizontal 2x4) and there was a hole dead center on the board about the size of a pencil eraser. That little bas-nastard had hollowed out my gate crossbar! I grabbed a can of wasp killer and banged on the board to get him out, but he must have been used to me using the gate so he didn't come out. So I put a straw in the hole, other end on the wasp killer, and filled his lair full - took more than I would have thought so he'd been there digging a while. Well, he came out of there fit to be tied and flew right at me - for 12 inches - before kamakazi-ing into the dirt and losing his mind on that spray's magical goodness. Didn't hurt anyone, but sure made me mad about that hole. I'm going to fill it with caulk for now and rebuild it once the office is finished.

@Walleye Hunter - I'll be there about 4:30. I sure do love ribs! I'll bring you some fresh ears of corn

Old 06-29-2019, 12:35 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Come'n Sweden!!

Old 06-29-2019, 01:07 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Then I got a Traeger smoker grill and am working on figuring that out so tomorrow is it's maiden run with ribs.
Traeger, now you are thinking like a professional. Let us know how the maiden run goes, remember we like pictures!

Originally Posted by Glowplugger

Speaking of gates, have you guys ever seen a bumble bee (or some kind of bumblebee looking thing) that bores holes in wood? I saw one run up under my pedestrian door gate yesterday and thought "hope he doesn't build a nest under there". Went to check on him and he was gone! I looked in all the corners and nothin!

So I ran my finger under the gate cross bar (horizontal 2x4) and there was a hole dead center on the board about the size of a pencil eraser. That little bas-nastard had hollowed out my gate crossbar! I grabbed a can of wasp killer and banged on the board to get him out, but he must have been used to me using the gate so he didn't come out. So I put a straw in the hole, other end on the wasp killer, and filled his lair full - took more than I would have thought so he'd been there digging a while. Well, he came out of there fit to be tied and flew right at me - for 12 inches - before kamakazi-ing into the dirt and losing his mind on that spray's magical goodness. Didn't hurt anyone, but sure made me mad about that hole. I'm going to fill it with caulk for now and rebuild it once the office is finished.
Carpenter bees... We have them like crazy here in north GA. When we first moved into our house, I would spend hours under the soffit with a chemical mixed in with vasoline and a dental syringe. I would put the mixture into each hole I found and when the bees would move across the mixture, they would die. The thing is about the carpenter bees is they nest in a hole, and they always come back to that hole. I have since made and installed carpenter bee traps at each corner of the house and that keeps them down and away from the house. I generally catch 60-100 between spring and summer and then take the traps down in the fall through winter. This is a passive method of catching and getting rid of the bees, which I like much better than the chemical method.

I would say just keep an eye on the area and the hole and if they come back hit me up and I will figure out what the chemical I used was called. I bought quart of it for cheap and only a small amount is needed.

As for us here in north GA. The summer is in full swing and we were at a crafts festival at the town square. Kids doing karate demonstrations, crafty stuff, cold beer and funnel cakes... We have another camping trip planned for 12 days the first part of next month after the holiday and are just chilling out and enjoying life.

I hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to the holiday!

Old 06-29-2019, 01:51 PM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Sous
Traeger, now you are thinking like a professional. Let us know how the maiden run goes, remember we like pictures!

Carpenter bees... We have them like crazy here in north GA. When we first moved into our house, I would spend hours under the soffit with a chemical mixed in with vasoline and a dental syringe. I would put the mixture into each hole I found and when the bees would move across the mixture, they would die. The thing is about the carpenter bees is they nest in a hole, and they always come back to that hole. I have since made and installed carpenter bee traps at each corner of the house and that keeps them down and away from the house. I generally catch 60-100 between spring and summer and then take the traps down in the fall through winter. This is a passive method of catching and getting rid of the bees, which I like much better than the chemical method.

I would say just keep an eye on the area and the hole and if they come back hit me up and I will figure out what the chemical I used was called. I bought quart of it for cheap and only a small amount is needed.

As for us here in north GA. The summer is in full swing and we were at a crafts festival at the town square. Kids doing karate demonstrations, crafty stuff, cold beer and funnel cakes... We have another camping trip planned for 12 days the first part of next month after the holiday and are just chilling out and enjoying life.

I hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to the holiday!
Our forum here needs a "THANKS" button so badly. Thank you Sous! I'll let you know how it goes. Enjoy that cold beer and funnel cakes!

Old 06-29-2019, 02:41 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I had to take my Traeger back to Costco last December. Too many failed parts in 6 years for a grill that cost over a grand. My fridge cost less than I paid for the Traeger and it's used daily, and it's still going strong. We don't even get a lot of rain where I am and we've been in a drought for years before the recent, last couple of seasons, but my propane rigs lasted longer and held up better to the elements, so make sure you keep it covered ALL the time when not being used.

I replaced mine with a Louisiana smoker and it works as well as any other wood pellet grill.

Last nights smoked, sliced tri tip for sammiches.

Stewart

Old 06-29-2019, 02:44 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Aaaaa carpenter bees, we have 'em here too but not too bad, actually I think I've eradicated this years population as haven't seen any lately. They can be a lot of fun with a badminton racket and if you get the knack and the wrist action you can kill them with the swat, otherwise you need to chase them down and stomp on them. Once they've bored in they turn right and you can push a zip tie in there and kill the larvae, the proof is in the goo on the end of the zip tie when you bring it out.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:49 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I had to take my Traeger back to Costco last December. Too many failed parts in 6 years for a grill that cost over a grand. My fridge cost less than I paid for the Traeger and it's used daily, and it's still going strong. We don't even get a lot of rain where I am and we've been in a drought for years before the recent, last couple of seasons, but my propane rigs lasted longer and held up better to the elements, so make sure you keep it covered ALL the time when not being used.

I replaced mine with a Louisiana smoker and it works as well as any other wood pellet grill.

Last nights smoked, sliced tri tip for sammiches.

Stewart
Now that looks good. I received another report on rust so I'll keep an eye on it. The other guy said that he calls Traeger and they send him paint every couple of years and he touches it up. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will have improved the paint by now. So far I've found that it won't keep steady temps below 205* but everything above that it holds steady. Pics and a report are in order, right now they're soaking in a rub I conjured up with what I have in stock.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:53 PM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Aaaaa carpenter bees, we have 'em here too but not too bad, actually I think I've eradicated this years population as haven't seen any lately. They can be a lot of fun with a badminton racket and if you get the knack and the wrist action you can kill them with the swat, otherwise you need to chase them down and stomp on them. Once they've bored in they turn right and you can push a zip tie in there and kill the larvae, the proof is in the goo on the end of the zip tie when you bring it out.
Thanks WH! I'll poke something in there tonight and see if it goos up. Yum!

Stewart, looks like a good mess of Tri! Another couple of hours on the grill and they'll be ready to eat

Old 06-30-2019, 07:00 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
Good grief. What's the world coming to. Go work a 12 hr shift, come home n the wifey has bought a new car Now there's a cute little silver Buick Encore in the stable. Still waiting on the rest of the car to show up. Think it shrunk in the carwash Goodbye minivan, hello compact crossover.

Them carpenter bees are fun for kids. Hand em a 3' stick 1/2" diameter & let em swing away. You can slice those suckers in half with a good hit, and their batting average will go up hoo boy good times!

Old 06-30-2019, 08:09 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Nothing beats Nebraska wind....that is all.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:41 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Pictures for starters, ribs on grill and back in the A/C keeping an eye on them.

Old 06-30-2019, 03:37 PM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Good grief. What's the world coming to. Go work a 12 hr shift, come home n the wifey has bought a new car Now there's a cute little silver Buick Encore in the stable. Still waiting on the rest of the car to show up. Think it shrunk in the carwash Goodbye minivan, hello compact crossover.

Them carpenter bees are fun for kids. Hand em a 3' stick 1/2" diameter & let em swing away. You can slice those suckers in half with a good hit, and their batting average will go up hoo boy good times!
You gotta show them women how the cow eats the corn, Wesley! (pays wife $10.00 for saying that)...They take a mile if you give them an inch so you have to hold them accountable. (pays wife another $10.00). Teach them like little children because really every woman is just a little girl trying to play grown-up. (pays wife $100 and accepts punch in the arm she feels I deserved..) It's just simple wife management, you see.

Have you driven the silver bullet there yet?

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***