Sponsored by: DP Tuner

SCMT question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 06:42 PM
ehagerty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCMT question

I have been running the tow safe program since purchasing the 1705......
My question, is it ok to run the "Hi-PERF Tuning" program with out any other mods or guages if I am not towing?

Thanks for your help...

Old 09-07-2003, 08:48 PM
Michael013
Senior User
SCMT question

I run the perf tow in mine, it's plenty of power.

Old 09-08-2003, 09:05 AM
Carfunkel
Junior User
Location: Canterbury - A beautifu but overpriced rural setting in central NH
SCMT question

Originally posted by ehagerty
is it ok to run the "Hi-PERF Tuning" program with out any other mods or guages if I am not towing
Is it OK? I would have to answer that it is OK as long as you don't hurt anything - which is sort of like saying that its OK to play with handgrenades so long as they don't go off.

Any chip is going to increase power by adding more fuel. Fuel + air = power. Without the fuel, you can't get more power. Added fuel also means added heat. Without gauges, are you willing to take the chance that your EGTs don't go too high? Sure, guys do it and get away with it, but how do you really know? Running unloaded will keep the EGTs lower than if you were hauling a load, but will they always be safe if you're dumping in extra fuel?

Spend your money on the gauges first. Even with an unmodified engine, an EGT gauge will help you to drive it more safely and more efficiently. After that, then do the exhaust and intake modifications. These will give you more power by reducing the pumping losses of the engine as well as keep the EGTs lower which will lead to increased efficiency. They won't give you the kick in the pants feel of a 60 -100 hp chip, but you KNOW they are safe.

Then, and only then, get the chip. Again, you're going to hear a lot of anecdotal evidence that what you are proposing is safe. But how many of these folks are going to help you foot the bill if you cook your engine and Ford finds evidence (like cleaned contacts where the chip plugs in) of a power enhancing modification that they did not approve? Your dime - your decision. Are you willing to be your own warranty station?

Old 09-08-2003, 09:42 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
SCMT question

Ditto what Carfunkel said. You should have gauges, intake, and larger exhaust before you start cranking out the power. There's a good chance that the temps could get too high if you don't.

Old 09-08-2003, 10:25 AM
Michael013
Senior User
SCMT question

I have never had any problems with the programmers and Ford Warranty. Our Ford dealer even sells Hypertech programmers. What is considered a "safe" exhaust temperature? I removed my Hypertech, which was weak. I use the SCMT on perf tow, medium setting and it gives plenty of power. I used a remote(wireless) strap-on thermister sensor, on the exhaust pipe in various locations and even at full throttle no temp was ever over 900 degrees. (only was 78 to 83 outside). If you tow I am sure it would put your EGTs much higher and if it is hot outside even more. Using the SCMT on the high setting did make the EGTs go over 1000 degrees +. So I choose to run it on medium with no towing, it gives plenty of power on that setting. I do have the Ford Severe Duty intake 2U2Z-9K635-AA.

I keep hearing mixed comments on the exhaust. I measured my along my downpipe with a caliper and it is about 3.27" average. I have a 4" downpipe ready to install to connect to the rest of the 4" exhaust system. Does the downpipe have to be smaller than the rest of the exhaust system? Because of the turbo?

Old 09-08-2003, 02:08 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SCMT question

Safe EGT would be less than 1300 farenheit pre turbo. Any hotter than that and you will start melting the turbo. Definately get a pyro and intake. The exhaust helps too but the way to keep EGT's low is to not overfuel. When you dump a lot of fuel you need to allow more air to keep from overfueling which pushes unburnt fuel into the exhaust where it burns creating a massive increase in EGT.

If you see black smoke (more than just a bit when first accelerating) then you're overfueling and probably have higher than normal EGT.

Old 09-08-2003, 03:31 PM
Carfunkel
Junior User
Location: Canterbury - A beautifu but overpriced rural setting in central NH
SCMT question

Originally posted by RRMike
1300 farenheit pre turbo. Any hotter than that and you will start melting the turbo.
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!!! Your pistons are aluminum, your turbo is steel, probably a high grade stainless. Check out the melting point of these two metals. When your pistons are turning to soup, your turbo is just barely getting warmed up.

"It aint what you don't know that bothers me, it's what you know fer sher that just aint so." ~ Mark Twain

Old 09-08-2003, 07:04 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SCMT question

Originally posted by Carfunkel
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!!! Your pistons are aluminum, your turbo is steel, probably a high grade stainless. Check out the melting point of these two metals. When your pistons are turning to soup, your turbo is just barely getting warmed up.

"It aint what you don't know that bothers me, it's what you know fer sher that just aint so." ~ Mark Twain
http://www.galebanks.com/Tech_whyegt.cfm

I'm going by what they said in this article by Gale Banks. Aren't the pistons cooled from below with oil??

Last edited by RRMike; 09-08-2003 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:39 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
SCMT question

(like cleaned contacts where the chip plugs in)
There are no contacts to clean with a tuner.

Old 09-10-2003, 08:44 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
SCMT question

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!!!
No, he is right, right, right!!!!

You can keep the Powerstroke at 1250 all day long. 1275-1300+ for bursts (prolonged exposure of the turbo to 1275+ means it starts absorbing the heat and the tips start to glow and flatten out). This is fact of the Power Stroke, not an opinion.

Old 09-10-2003, 09:01 PM
ehagerty
Senior User
SCMT question

So does this mean I can run it safely if I am not towing at the 80 hp/130 tq without upgrade or guages? Or not........

Been using the 60 hp setting.....

Old 09-10-2003, 09:12 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
SCMT question

Superchips says you can and they are right under most conditions. However, fuel quality, under hood temps, higher altitude and a host of other things can impact EGTs. I advise guages if you plan to run 80HP with any sort of extreme use (ie, don't gun it).

Old 09-10-2003, 09:24 PM
ehagerty
Senior User
SCMT question

Thanks Ken......
Time for some shopping

Old 09-10-2003, 09:39 PM
Michael013
Senior User
SCMT question

However, fuel quality, under hood temps, higher altitude and a host of other things can impact EGTs. I advise guages if you plan to run 80HP with any sort of extreme use (ie, don't gun it).

What about if the outside temperature is low? Below 70 degrees.