1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd electrical problems, 2005 SD / Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 08:34 PM
chewedtoothpick
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Odd electrical problems, 2005 SD / Lariat

Greetings All, thank you for reading my question.

I have a 2005 SD, a well-loaded Lariat at that which is having some odd electrical issues. They are:

Wipers randomly start wiping. Not exactly coorelated to mositure or temperature, but does "seem" to be worse when hot/dry and has happened in all conditions...

Oddly (to me) if I remove the wiper fuse so that they're not randomly going off, the radio / windows / etc won't come on unless the truck is running, and it takes tens of seconds before they become active.

Some information to help determine what I have done already:

I just replaced the turn / wiper / hazard switch assembly. The wiring visually looks good, and while there was no play or looseness in the switch before I figured it might be the wipers in the wiper **** causing the wipers to fluctuate.

I just replaced the ignition keyswitch, because the old one was warn and loose causing the keysense to behave erratically (I even physically removed the little switch on the outside previously just to get it to stop going erratic like it was - that has been reinstalled now that it actually works correctly.)

I have previously replaced the PCM becasue it had some Transmission issues. Before that I replaced the main wiring harness where it connects PCM (I cut a few feet back just further down the wire past a point where it had been previously pinched between two hard points, because I was emphatically told on here that the PCM could not possibly be bad (I still kick myself for not going with my instinct based on what I knew then and now.)

I am hard pressed to believe that there isn't a failing relay somewhere, because the best I can tell the wiring is in fine condition (no intermittent shorts that I can find with a standard fluke DMM, but not a full megger-test.)

Does anyone have any suggestions where I could look, or am I starting to chase an electrical demon? I am halfway tempted to just install a toggle switch at this point.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:13 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a possibly faulty GEM module.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:34 PM
chewedtoothpick
Mountain Pass
This is entirely possible.

How much does the GEM relate the trim level of the truck etc? Will any GEM for the 05MY do, or do I have to get one from a truck that was similar trim level?

Old 08-14-2017, 11:37 PM
chewedtoothpick
Mountain Pass
Oh good lord, you don't mean the VSM do you? That looks like a curse-laden hellday of work...

Old 08-15-2017, 12:11 AM
chewedtoothpick
Mountain Pass
Okay, researching it a little more, I would be surprised if it is the VSM, and everything I see says that I don't have a GEM, although I can go verify that right now.

What I am wondering, is it looks like the wiper control module is integrated into the wiper motor... Is this something that others have experienced that I should just replace the motor since it is all one assembly?

What would allow this to interfere with the functionality of delayed accessories?