1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Does the hpop fail quickly or over time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
A friend of mine had a late 02 7.3 and the fuel pump on his truck was difficult to hear as well. Although, there is enough time to turn the key and jump out and under the truck to put your hand on the pump to see if it is pumping fuel. Or, you could enlist the help of someone to turn the key while you lay under the truck to feel/listen to the pump prime the system.

There have been members here where the pump would supply enough fuel to idle and get the truck moving, but anything past about 10% throttle input the pump would fail.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:32 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Speaking from experience, a fuel pressure gauge Would be a huge help here.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:02 PM
work4it
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Add five gallons of fuel and try again. When the in tank pickup goes south 1/4 is the line when you run out of fuel.
Five gallons did not help. I unplugged the vacuum pump so I could here the fuel pump better, dead silent and no vibration.

Gonna pick up a fuel pump tomorrow and see if they have a fuel gauge kit for it, won't hold my breath on that.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:20 AM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
When I needed a temp fuel pressure gauge a friend of mine who's a mechanic had me pick up a inexpensive mechanical oil pressure gauge.(advance auto had it in stock) We plumbed it in with a a copper line set at the back of the fuel bowl. Then we just fastened it down enough to do some diagnostics. Mine had about 60 at idle but when you started getting on it, you could suck that gauge right to zero and that's when it would sputter and lose all power. I was picking crap up in the tank and plugging the screen. Shut it off the crap fell off and you were good to go until it did it again. Don't think that's your problem, but you could have low fuel pressure. That 17 dollar gauge could save you a lot of headache.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:38 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by work4it
Five gallons did not help. I unplugged the vacuum pump so I could here the fuel pump better, dead silent and no vibration.

Gonna pick up a fuel pump tomorrow and see if they have a fuel gauge kit for it, won't hold my breath on that.
There are two plugged ports on the back of the fuel bowl where a pressure gauge can be plumbed in. They are ORB fittings (I forget what size) and Riffraff and a couple of other vendors sell them. The easiest port to get at is pre-filter and the lower, more difficult one is post filter. Post filter is best but pre-filter is better than none. Then you can plumb in a 3/8" (I think) NPT hose and gauge into it. I hooked up a hydraulic quick disconnect to mine so I can easily hook and unhook it.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:27 AM
work4it
Freshman User
I see Riffraff has an oem pump for $100, gonna check here in town and see what I can come up with. I see the o ring fittings, gonna pick up one. Work gets in the way of my look around time.

Hard to wait a few days to order stuff online.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:37 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
RiffRaff is very quick to ship, even to the east coast.

I am not 100%, but I believe the Bosch pump is highly recommended and could be found locally if you are lucky.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:05 AM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another way to check fuel pressure is to use about 6' of 3/8 fuel hose and a gauge with a couple of clamps and tie it on to the drain tube above the passenger tire. Tie wrap or tape the gauge to a windshield wiper so it is visible inside of the truck.

Open the drain valve on the filter housing and turn the key to on. the gauge should show about 65 psi.

This is also an easy way to drain the fuel tank if you want to remove the tank.
Larry

Old 08-17-2017, 07:58 PM
work4it
Freshman User
I am putting the new pump in tonight finally, will report back. I bought the lifetime warranted Delphi.

Ford wanted close to 600.00, rediculous.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:35 AM
work4it
Freshman User
Well a $100 fuel pump and a $3.00 package of fuel line clips fixed it.

Runs great, even pulled pretty hard at WOT up a hill.

I would like to think that if it did not run at all I might have found the fuel pump issue before dropping $600 bucks and two weeks.

To recap for those who don't want to go back through the threads;

It lost power suddenly, but ran good enough to get me home from about a 1/3 of a mile up a pretty good hill. I had already done my UVCWHs a while back with the same symptoms.

With my old school Superchip tuner I read the codes;

After reading forums and looking at my harness again I was sure it was the IDM, so I replaced it but that did not change anything. I then thought it had a bad ICP, replac d it and that did nothing, unplugging the original seemed to have no affect on the way the engine ran.

So it had to be the IPR, just a matter of elimination at that point, right? Wrong. Just a matter of emptying my wallet at the Ford dealership.

Not until I pulled the fuel filter to watch how fast the filter bowl filled did I find the fuel pump issue, no fuel at all.

The fuel pump change was actually a much bigger pain in the *** than I thought it could have been. I was thinking about you guys and how you probably would have enljoyed watching meet fight that out and the new one back in.

Thanks for all of the help over the last week or so, I should have started here.

Mark, I hope your walleye hunting goes well, we catch them out here in the mighty Columbia river.

Again, I know it takes time to put all of your comments in so thanks for the help.

I have been talking about selling my Excursion for a while and I have put the ball in motion. Looking at the 2017 F350s, man what a lush ride they are. My rig looks like something I might have drove in high school, runs good now though.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:42 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Excellent! Thanks for reporting back with your results.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:43 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Congrats, and thanks for the follow up, those are helpful for when mine goes. Ford wants $600 for a fuel pump???? Are you sure that wasn't for an HPOP? And from what I hear that Columbia river is some good fishing.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:47 AM
work4it
Freshman User
Glad to report back.

Ya, that was for the fuel pump. It really is hard to pay Ford's prices, there sensors are sometimes close to three times the price as others.

I was thinking that there are lots of people that work on there own rigs but like me go into it without the right tools, tools specific to fixing their rigs. I saw a thread about trouble shooting a guy started, I might go put my .02 in.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:17 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Glad you found your problem and got it fixed

If you do the Hutch mod, many people replace the quick connect fittings with lengths of 30R9 or similar fuel line and injector clamps.

The fittings get fatigued over time and allow the suction side to draw in gulps of air, especially each time the pump starts.

Don't worry too much about the extra sensors you replaced, they will serve you well anyways to have them refreshed

Old 08-20-2017, 12:46 AM
work4it
Freshman User
Drove my Excursion around today, more than down the block as a test drive, and it ran great.

ExPaCamper, you are right, good piece of mind to know there are a lot of new parts on the injector controls.

I actually worked on it again today, but I got to use a 10,000 lbs lift I helped my friend put in and let me say how awesome that was. I posted in the "What did you do to your Xurs today"

Quick Reply: Does the hpop fail quickly or over time?