Campground weekend themes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:27 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Campground weekend themes?

What's up at the campground?

Every few week we have a theme at the campground. Put on by the campers not the campground.

We do the regular things like Christmas in July, thanksgiving, and Halloween, but we also do the theme thing like last weekend was Seafood buffet. Which consisted of dishes cook over a fire. Steamed Mussels in a broth, scallops, shrimp, and steamers. sides of salads and veggies. And of coarse vodka and beer.

It ranges from 15 to 30 people as an average. Sometimes more.

this weekend is deserts. Not my forte so I will sit on the side with a Martini and just enjoy the people.

Upcoming will be a pig roast, a night of mixed drinks, and a night of wine tasting that the women go to tasting and bring back there favorites and have our own tasting. Speaking of spirits, pudding shots and jello shot flow.

I want to note that there is a lot of booze mentioned here but not drank to excess. Just available, most people know there limits.

So what do you do at your places???

Old 08-13-2017, 11:50 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,101 Likes on 1,790 Posts
Things have changed from when I went camping with mom & dad as a kid using a 10 yo car to pull a 10 yo trailer and that was after years of tent camping.

Does anyone use tents or pop ups now days or are they all 30+ ft TT or big motor homes?
Dave ----

Old 08-13-2017, 08:28 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
I tent camped a couple years ago with my wife and I've been camping with the Boy Scouts for the past 16 years in a tent. I still have 4 tents but I suspect that I'll start divesting them.

My travel trailer (a toy hauler) is 22' long + the length of the tongue, so it's no behemoth as far as length goes. Height and width? Well, it's big in those dimensions.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:20 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Things have changed from when I went camping with mom & dad as a kid using a 10 yo car to pull a 10 yo trailer and that was after years of tent camping.

Does anyone use tents or pop ups now days or are they all 30+ ft TT or big motor homes?
Dave ----
The answer is yes. I see all types of tent and popups. There are usually tent areas in campgrounds.

There still is the "Progression" that occurs:
1) tent
2) pop-up
3) travel trailer
4) 5th wheel or toy hauler
5) bus

By the way my 5th wheel is 37 ft. long 13' 2" tall and weight between 11,000 to 14,000 lbs. and cost a lot more than the tent I started with. lol

Old 08-17-2017, 06:27 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Pig roast this weekend for seasonal campers. Tractor Dave really does a good job with the pig. Up before dawn and constant attention to the pig and what a great job.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like a winner weekend

....and at our CG its a pot luck supper and campfire. It's mostly us seasonals but the overnighters and weekenders often show up as well. This will have 30-40 in attendance but the season ending turkey roast will bring probably 60-75, depending on the weather. Last weekend was a group playing ''60-'70s music to dance to and the week before was karaoke (which I will NOT do since I have a pair of battery powered ears). Next three or four weeks - who knows since we will be in Maine instead of going West again, trying to reduce the lobstah and clam over population

Our camping progression was:
tent
pop up (Viking)
5er (Kountry Aire)
tent (LL Bean)
truck camper (Shadow Cruiser)
tt's (Real-Lite/Sunline)
5er's (Titanium/Montana HC)

Old 08-17-2017, 03:58 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,101 Likes on 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by ct diesel
Pig roast this weekend for seasonal campers. Tractor Dave really does a good job with the pig. Up before dawn and constant attention to the pig and what a great job.
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Sounds like a winner weekend

....and at our CG its a pot luck supper and campfire. It's mostly us seasonals but the overnighters and weekenders often show up as well. This will have 30-40 in attendance but the season ending turkey roast will bring probably 60-75, depending on the weather. Last weekend was a group playing ''60-'70s music to dance to and the week before was karaoke (which I will NOT do since I have a pair of battery powered ears). Next three or four weeks - who knows since we will be in Maine instead of going West again, trying to reduce the lobstah and clam over population

Our camping progression was:
tent
pop up (Viking)
5er (Kountry Aire)
tent (LL Bean)
truck camper (Shadow Cruiser)
tt's (Real-Lite/Sunline)
5er's (Titanium/Montana HC)
You both brought up a point I did not think of before and this theme thing.
When I last went camping with my folks, mid to late 80's, this seasonal thing was just starting up.
I think that is why my folks got out of camping. "Why would you want to go to the same place every weekend" they said. The other was they did not have the money to buy the site and why they went camping over staying in a hotel, it was cheaper.

So I guess now that most camp grounds have a lot of seasonal campers would be why the theme weekends?
Dave ----

Old 08-18-2017, 09:15 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
You both brought up a point I did not think of before and this theme thing.
When I last went camping with my folks, mid to late 80's, this seasonal thing was just starting up.
I think that is why my folks got out of camping. "Why would you want to go to the same place every weekend" they said. The other was they did not have the money to buy the site and why they went camping over staying in a hotel, it was cheaper.

So I guess now that most camp grounds have a lot of seasonal campers would be why the theme weekends?
Dave ----
Dave, yes we are seasonal for the enjoyment of a group get together, but we all go to different places during the season. I will be in Maine in September and have plans for the outer bank of NC soon. It's having a base camp to keep the trailer at with easy access. And the camping community activities. Just my perspective.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:00 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
OK - seasonal sites - do I like that way of camping? Not really but the 'fight' to find a quiet CG with the facilities that we want every week or so with the vast number of RV owners all trying to do the same just got to be a hassle. The CG we spend much of the summer at is small, clean, have pretty large sites (we are on one of the largest) plus the folks there are pretty laid back. The cost for a summer is $1400 and we use our 5er at least 3 and often 4 nights a week vs occasionally before the seasonal site. The number of nights we spent in the 5er last year was 84 and 82 the previous. We try to do an early spring trip and then a 7-8000 miler in the fall though wont with my wife having a significant problem with her back so will be doing a 2000 to 2500 mile New Hampshire/Maine/Vermont tour, leaving next Thursday, with possibly a side trip to New Brunswick once we get to Calais or Houlton, Maine. We use our 5er - it's a '14 with ~20,000 miles so far

Old 08-23-2017, 08:10 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
This weekend is more for the women than the guys. It's wine tasting weekend at the campground.

Most of the women come with one or two bottles of wine and they put them in paper bags and taste the different wines and choose the best. They also bring things to nibble on like cheese and crackers. And other munchies.

Guys sit around the fire drinking beer and munchies.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:54 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Smoking a pork loin this weekend, with ice cold beer. Makes for a good Italian weekend theme.

You may say what does pork loin and a Italian weekend have to do with each other. Nothing I say, just wanted to make one.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:42 PM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Just a quick note; Everyone enjoyed the smoked pork, kielbasa, turducken, and all the side dishes. Started Saturday at 4pm to Sunday breakfast. And Kathy's pudding shot were a hit around the fire Saturday night.