6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Oil Bypass System

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:34 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,322 Likes on 4,589 Posts
Originally Posted by orion250
Looking forward to your install and pics Overkill!
The system hasn't arrived yet and I have to go out of state unexpectedly for a wake/funeral deal. I just got the oil changed at the dealer tonight but it looks like I'll be installing the system after I get back from Connecticut. Oh well...

Old 04-24-2018, 09:38 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by Martin6
I would go 15k between oil changes with the FS2500. Oil analysis indicated I could go longer, but at 15k that was two years on the oil. I didn't drive the truck very much.

The 2008 truck had a channel frame, so I wonder how the mounting is going to be on the new boxed frames.
I will go out far once my truck is off warranty; about approximately just over 100k miles. But until then, factory recommended intervals it is. We shall see what happens with the install on the new frames.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:28 PM
hoseclamp
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkill2
I just found them online when I posted up those links. They tune with emissions on. You use them with or without the DPF? What happened?
ive used other popular options for tuner, can tunes, and custom tunes working with deleted emissions, Calibrated Power is full emissions, haven’t run their programming yet. Intercooler didn’t come in yet, been finishing install for methanol injection kit the last few days. Without tuning there is power and mpg gains. My setup compliments all my RV setups, camper and 5er/toy hauler. Oil cooler fans came in today, few more components still on order. I’ll be 600rwhp/1,300lbs, and better mpg than stock, with full emissions. And the cooling to handle it in stride too. Boom goes the dynamite. 😁

Old 04-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed my oil bypass system to hopefully extend the life of my truck. In my opinion if you could only do 1 thing to preserve a vehicle it would be to change the oil at a minimum the manufacturer's recommended change interval. The EGR system is for sure dumping particles smaller than the stock / aftermarket oil filters can filter out into the oil. With the bypass system I installed, after over 3,000 miles my oil still has a green hue to it.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:35 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

I've been back home since Wednesday and no filter received yet. I won't bore you guys with the details, but should be shipping by Friday or the latest, Monday. When I get my filter, I'll post up pictures.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:21 PM
hoseclamp
Elder User
No worries. Post when you can!!!

Old 06-02-2018, 09:54 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Okay, sorry for the wait. The filter came in a bit ago but haven't had the chance to post up. First off, I believe as Chuck-B does that this will extend the life of our 6.7 engines. I have always been "overkill" in maintenance philosophy and especially when it comes to my first diesel truck. More likely, probably will be my last as these trucks cost too much in my eyes and I don't want a new truck every five years. With that being said, I know I'll go out beyond 250k miles, so I want the best protection for my truck and the peace of mind (warm fuzzy feeling) that comes along with it.

The reason I went with the FS2500 is that it's rated for 98% efficiency at 1 micron. Another reason is that Filtration Solutions talk about flow rate. The FS2500's flow rate is 1.5 gallons per minute. I will post the article link from their site that has a lot of good info in it. I also like the custom length stain steel lined braided hose with Teflon inner tube. It also has a protective vinyl wrap on it. Here's the link for the article:

BYPASS FILTER BUYER?S GUIDE - Filtration Solutions Worldwide

Old 06-02-2018, 10:03 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

The can itself is about 5" wide and 9" tall. It is made of steel and is quite hefty. The top is aluminum. It mounts horizontally with a small bracket. I believe it will use a hole already in the frame as you need to drill just one hole into the frame. Here are more pics:

That's a grade 8 bolt on top.

Solid heavy can with a great weld on the bottom.

The kit came with one extra filter and rubber gaskets. The can had one filter preinstalled.

The rubber gasket on top of filter (element).

Old 06-02-2018, 10:08 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

The new gasket kit for the second filter included with the kit.

The stainless braided hose included in the kit.

Close up of the hose.

The bracket used to mount to frame.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:14 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

This the new oil fill tube cap. It's another hefty piece of machined work.

The hardware included...

The explanation of the element in the can.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:31 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

I planned on installing or wanted to install before I went to Trumbull, CT for a road trip but it didn't happen as I did not receive the kit before I left. I had my oil changed at a new dealer and never specified the 10w30 which I have been running since the truck was new (AND HAD THE FACTORY FILL OF 10W30). The dealer I went to has a large farmer customer base and filled mine with 15w40 at 23350 miles. Prior to this oil change, I was getting about just about or at 500 miles every Regen with the 10w30.

On the way down to Connecticut, I had a regen at 23960, about 300 miles out. Then I had another one at 24294; then I was back in town I believe.

Here's a list of my regen start miles with the 15w40:

24851 unfinished REGEN
25207 unfinished REGEN

Nothing has changed including my driving but the 15w40 oil. I am not happy to say the least. I am at about 2000 miles on the change and I might get the oil changed at 3k miles out. I was very happy with the Motorcraft 10w30.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:38 PM
hoseclamp
Elder User
Good info! I’ve found no difference up here between grades or viscosities, longer miles with a fresh change, and it reduces as it gets dirty. Still waiting for my bypass components, thinking the shop forgot to order. Promised they’ll be in next week. CPS tuning is on the shelf, trans programming was awful, lost all trans tuning adaptability, way too harsh, and was confused under a load. Consequently milage took a crap too. Intercooler is throwing codes, supposed to be stock truck friendly, made mpg worse. The up side, getting 100 miles per 10% DPF accumulation with mpg-max kit, even on 100% water. That’s been a huge improvement. This last trip, using arctic fuel still from my commercial tank, I’m on par for 850 miles between regens on 3,000 mile 15w40 mineral cj-4, which is massive since that’s double what I’d dream of getting. 400miles between was the truck brand new, never saw that twice.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:44 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by hoseclamp
Good info!
I’ve found no difference up here between grades or viscosities, longer miles with a fresh change, and it reduces as it gets dirty.

I don't know what else it could be because that's the only thing that's different; the viscosity. I buy the fuel at the same place; drive the same routes as I did before. New fuel filters and air filter. Still using K100 every tank like before. No CELs. I don't get it.

Still waiting for my bypass components, thinking the shop forgot to order. Promised they’ll be in next week.

What system are you going with?

CPS tuning is on the shelf, trans programming was awful, lost all trans tuning adaptability, way too harsh, and was confused under a load. Consequently milage took a crap too.

Wow sorry too hear that... can you expand on what happened and your experience a little more? Did you contact them about the problems?

Intercooler is throwing codes, supposed to be stock truck friendly, made mpg worse.

What intercooler did you go with?

The up side, getting 100 miles per 10% DPF accumulation with mpg-max kit, even on 100% water.

You mean you've just used pure water with the methanol injection system?

That’s been a huge improvement. This last trip, using arctic fuel still from my commercial tank, I’m on par for 850 miles between regens on 3,000 mile 15w40 mineral cj-4, which is massive since that’s double what I’d dream of getting. 400miles between was the truck brand new, never saw that twice.

You think that's because of the methanol injection system? If so, that's just awesome!
I am going to wait for the next oil change to install the system. I want Motorcraft 10w30 back in to see what happens. Then I will post up install pics

Old 06-02-2018, 02:04 PM
hoseclamp
Elder User
For my conditions, dusty and barely adequate fuels, these play a bigger role with regens than the oil other than clean or dirty, I can see how if you had better conditions, (which when I hit the US, regens drop big time, way better fuel, jealous), oil can effect cycles. I’d change back, I bet it will work. Even a simple mistake of changing some mineral CJ4 with old stock CI4, I’ve seen what that does. It regens almost daily. The bypass is a LFP9750, and mount. Not sure which way I want to tie it in, still thinking. The tuning, it made great power, especially in the max settings, but the transmission was way too aggressive, and wouldn’t learn to the driving style. Always a hard shift, and holding too low a gear, downshifting early. Pretty much line pressure bumped significantly and stuck in tow/haul mode. When towing, it was slow to react and confused, delayed down shifts and some upshifts took 2-3 seconds. Waiting for reply from CPS. Not happy, these were supposed to be the real deal, development for full emission on trucks one stop shopping. Intercooler was No Limit Fabrications, advertised with cold side pipe and will work 100% on a stock truck. No pipe, sorry it’s extra, and just get some software to delete P026A, no thanks. Changing out when I get to my summer home in Kelowna Monday. Was 49% methanaol beginning of trip, filled up with just water 2/3 way through, less methanol makes less power but I think it cleans better and definitely pulls egt’s down better. It’s been a huge improvement on regen cycle reduction, I never saw this much distance travelled in kms let alone miles. Normal distance one fresh change and highway cruising is 275-300 miles. I’ve went 580 miles on 60% DPF so far, that is amazing for just blasting water. Wish I had a bigger tank than 7 gal. Will have to change that up. Lol.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:00 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

I'm hoping that I found the problem. I popped the hood and found the dipstick was not seated fully into the dipstick tube, so I was probably sucking air into the engine through the tube. I believe the tech didn't seat it fully after he checked the new oil level. I'm thinking I'll change it at 3k miles then.

I looked into that bypass setup. Looks nice. I included a link here so the others can see. It looks like they are rated 98% efficient at 2 microns. That filter is freaking huge! Nothing wrong with adding more oil to the system. The FS2500 adds 1.5 quarts.

Luber Finer LFP9750 oil bypass installed - PowerStrokeArmy

That sucks about the CPS tuning. Let me by DM what happens if you don't mind bro. Sounds like the power was good but the tranny shifting strategy was too harsh. I'll DM you to ask more specific questions if you don't mind, sir.

Here's a link for your intercooler code:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-show-up.html

Great info on the methanol system.

Quick Reply: Oil Bypass System