Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

F150 Diesel option for 2018

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 11:42 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
F150 Diesel option for 2018

Any guesses on how much the diesel option package will cost on the F150 next year?

I`ll say it`s going to fall between 6500.00 to 8300.00 dollars but I might be way off because i`ve never owned a diesel and I really don`t know much about them except for the improved fuel economy and their much beefier build.

Would like to hear what some of the more knowledgable diesel guys/owners think and also what others who are considering purchasing a diesel F150 think.

Have a great day.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:33 PM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
I have a co-worker with a Ram 1500 that has an EcoDiesel. It's a fancy truck. He gets 30+ mpg. I don't know how much work he would get done with it though. It's definitely a big enough truck to haul a refrigerator in the bed or some furniture; however, I don't know if you would want to tow anything much bigger than a U-Haul.

Currently, Ram 1500s list the EcoDiesel as a $4200 option. The Ram 2500s list the Cummins diesel as a $9200 option. I would think that Ford is going to price their new 1/2 ton diesel accordingly. If not, they will see their sales suffer.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:18 PM
storage_man
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Olds64
I have a co-worker with a Ram 1500 that has an EcoDiesel. It's a fancy truck. He gets 30+ mpg. I don't know how much work he would get done with it though. It's definitely a big enough truck to haul a refrigerator in the bed or some furniture; however, I don't know if you would want to tow anything much bigger than a U-Haul.

Currently, Ram 1500s list the EcoDiesel as a $4200 option. The Ram 2500s list the Cummins diesel as a $9200 option. I would think that Ford is going to price their new 1/2 ton diesel accordingly. If not, they will see their sales suffer.
WOW - he gets 30+mpg on that BIG DODGE ? I assume he is driving nothing but freeway. Most reviews for the Dodge Diesel is 24mpg. But owning a diesel goes beyond MPG's Normal maintenance costs 50% more than with gas engine. Replacement parts are usually higher than their gas counterparts. Key is if you put on 60k a year, the will pay for itself within a couple of years.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:17 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I'd have to see some verifiable hand calculated numbers before I believe 30+ MPG.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:28 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
My dad owns the 3.0L ecodiesel and on flat highway at 70, 30mpg is more than achievable. Its actually quite easy. Mixed driving in San Antonio for him gets about 26.

My Ram averages between 17-18 here in DC.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:44 PM
Christian's1988Ford
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it's great that Ford is expanding their engine lineup further to beat the competition, but I don't see much of a reason for a small diesel in a 1/2 ton truck.

If you need a truck for towing, the Super Duty is more than equipped for the job. If you need an F150 for towing, a properly equipped F150 with the 3.5 EB will tow over 10,000 pounds.

The mileage of the Ecodiesel is nice, but diesel costs significantly more than gas, pretty much making cost per gallon more than a gas engine. Plus, the high initial cost of the engine option doesn't help!

If this engine has a higher towing capacity than the 3.5, I'm worried that the rest of the truck won't be rated to tow that much. It already seems like the 3.5 is too powerful for the F150!

Other than being used as a tough-as-nails work truck, or a truck for fleets where only diesel is used, I just don't see how a diesel will be practical for many buyers. I feel like those who answer every question with "because it's a diesel" will be buying this instead of buying what they really need.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:21 AM
The Big Tow
Senior User
Originally Posted by Christian's1988Ford
I think it's great that Ford is expanding their engine lineup further to beat the competition, but I don't see much of a reason for a small diesel in a 1/2 ton truck.

If you need a truck for towing, the Super Duty is more than equipped for the job. If you need an F150 for towing, a properly equipped F150 with the 3.5 EB will tow over 10,000 pounds.

The mileage of the Ecodiesel is nice, but diesel costs significantly more than gas, pretty much making cost per gallon more than a gas engine. Plus, the high initial cost of the engine option doesn't help!

If this engine has a higher towing capacity than the 3.5, I'm worried that the rest of the truck won't be rated to tow that much. It already seems like the 3.5 is too powerful for the F150!

Other than being used as a tough-as-nails work truck, or a truck for fleets where only diesel is used, I just don't see how a diesel will be practical for many buyers. I feel like those who answer every question with "because it's a diesel" will be buying this instead of buying what they really need.
Diesel doesn't cost more than Gas everywhere. Where I am right now, in West Central Michigan, Diesel is significantly cheaper. And they make a LOT of Ethanol in this area.

The 3.5 EcoBeast is an aluminum Block. They just can't take the pounding that a cast iron or CGI Block can take. Can't do it.

You put that 3.5 into service, working hard, and it's gonna come apart. Blocks flex under heavy loads. Oh, yes they do. It's why Generic Motors always had to use 4 Bolt Mains in their junk -- They flexed to the point that they'd come apart. The 426 Hemi made tons more power than a Chevy 427 but was a 2 Bolt Main. The Block was stiffer.

Down side to Diesels?? They cost more. Fuel is usually, but not always, more expensive. Maintenance costs are more...... And they're heavy. Heavy to the point that it causes your vehicle to 'wander' over the road. Especially uneven roads.

On a F-250, the 6.7l Diesel is 770lbs heavier than an ALREADY heavy cast iron block 6.2l V8.

There WILL be a market for the Diesel F-150. A huge market. Gigantic.

Problem is, the lace panty division of the EPA (which is the whole thing) HATES Diesels. They don't know why, exactly, they just do.

Right now, the Euro Weenies are having a big love-in for phony-baloney environMENTALists regarding the efficacy of Diesels in Europe ... https://www.thelocal.de/20170730/is-...vourite-engine which could lead to big sales numbers here in the US.

People aren't as stupid as many think. Just like obama was the best thing to ever happen to Gun Manufacturers, this might be a big boost to Diesel sales for the F-150.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
I never saw any numbers that verified my co-worker gets 30+ mpg, it's just what he told me.

As far as I'm concerned 1/2 ton diesels have taken way too long to get here. When I was deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan everyone was either driving a military vehicle (i.e. HMMWVs or LMTVs) or they were driving a small pickup with a diesel engine (i.e. Toyota Hilux or Mitsubishi L200). Of course, a 1/2 ton pickup is bigger than these Asian market Utes but the concept is the same.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like Jan/Feb will be when they can be ordered w diesel. Ford was at my old dealership today and that's about the only nuggets I was able to get out of the sales guys. They said the front end looks awesome, which I was assuming from the pictures.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:00 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Big Tow
The 3.5 EcoBeast is an aluminum Block. They just can't take the pounding that a cast iron or CGI Block can take. Can't do it.

You put that 3.5 into service, working hard, and it's gonna come apart. Blocks flex under heavy loads. Oh, yes they do. It's why Generic Motors always had to use 4 Bolt Mains in their junk -- They flexed to the point that they'd come apart. The 426 Hemi made tons more power than a Chevy 427 but was a 2 Bolt Main. The Block was stiffer.
Not to pick any fights here, but Ford has done their homework on the EcoBoost engines and is proving them in competition as well as on the road. The new Ford GT is sporting the 3.5 and is kicking butt and taking names.

Also -
While I am bleeding Ford blue - you need to double check some of your engine information.
I've built 426 Hemis, Big and Small block Chevies as well as Ford Windsor / FE / Clevelands...
Pictures below show cross bolted hemi block (stock), Cross bolted Ford FE block (stock) and 351 Cleveland block (stock)...

Old 08-03-2017, 09:40 AM
The Big Tow
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Not to pick any fights here, but Ford has done their homework on the EcoBoost engines and is proving them in competition as well as on the road. The new Ford GT is sporting the 3.5 and is kicking butt and taking names.

Also -
While I am bleeding Ford blue - you need to double check some of your engine information.
I've built 426 Hemis, Big and Small block Chevies as well as Ford Windsor / FE / Clevelands...
Pictures below show cross bolted hemi block (stock), Cross bolted Ford FE block (stock) and 351 Cleveland block (stock)...

The main advantage of Iron, especially CGI, is that it has a threshold below which cycling forces and pressures of an infinite quantity will not cause fatigue failure in the metal.

Aluminum does not. No matter how small the stress, if it is cycled enough times, it will fail.

At least, that was my knowledge on the topic from 6 or 7 years ago. Things may have changed.

CGI is tighter, has more carbon and weighs between 10% and 20% less than Cast Iron.

An I'm well aware of side bolts. Still not a 4 bolt main. Some of the Modular motors had 6 bolts, including the side bolts.

Lost interest in racing several years ago. Just another attempt by Generic Motors to corner a market.

They ruined Indy, they ruined NASCAR (aka; naGMar), they seldom participate in European Racing. Regardless of what you think of Euro Weenies, them boys can race.

Ford Engines have won more Formula 1 races than any other manufacturer besides Ferrari. And Ford doesn't even participate in a high percentage of them. Not sure Generic Motors has even entered one.

Ford sent Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Mercedes, BMW..... All of them home talking to themselves back in the 60's when Generic Motors was crying like little girls to Bill France about the Ford 427 Cammer in Grocery Getters.

Plus, Generic Motors STOLE 20 Billion Dollars from the American People.

GM can go straight to hell. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. They suck and everything about them sucks. Always has. Always will. They are responsible for putting American Automobile manufacturing in the Stone Age.

Complicated, but trust me. GM sucks. Big time. The only thing keeping them afloat for years was their fat gubermint contracts

end rant

I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Chevy

Old 08-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Grodyman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not interested at all.....I feel these trucks have surpassed my ability to afford already, adding an expensive diesel option to an already unaffordable truck is stupid. Next up is 10 year financing, and with rising interest rates, might as well take out a 2nd and 3rd mortgage, not to mention California registration fees on a $80k truck. Best of luck to anyone who buys one.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:36 AM
530ktmpilot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not to get off topic but both chevy and ford have made some real turd engines (and cars) over the years as well as some amazing gas power-plants so your view seems a little biased. Ive owned some of each from both mfgs. Unfortunatley some in both categories. Here's my picks for best and worst.

The good-
Chevy- LT1, LS series, LS6 big block
Ford-6.2L, boss 302/351/429

The bad-
Any ford truck engine late 80s & 90s. Pathetic performance & crappy mileage
Any chevy truck OR car engine early 80's to 90s- see ford above

Old 08-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Can't remember where I read that the F150 diesel will be about $2000 above the cost of the 3.5 EcoBoost, the advantage of better fuel economy is a plus, despite the emissions crap just so people can stick their noses against the tail pipe and breathe cleaner air. Long as Ford doesn't pull a FCA or VW on emissions cheating, then there should be no issues.

Really hoping this engine does very well for Ford. I was really looking forward to the 2.8L Cummins Frontier, but God knows when that'll ever happen. Speaking of fuel economy on a diesel 1/2 ton, http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram/1500/2014/2014-ram-1500-ecodiesel-outdoorsman-crew-cab-4x4-verdict-review/ there's some comparisons over cost of ownership.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 AM
The Big Tow
Senior User
Originally Posted by 530ktmpilot
not to get off topic but both chevy and ford have made some real turd engines (and cars) over the years as well as some amazing gas power-plants so your view seems a little biased. Ive owned some of each from both mfgs. Unfortunatley some in both categories. Here's my picks for best and worst.

The good-
Chevy- LT1, LS series, LS6 big block
Ford-6.2L, boss 302/351/429

The bad-
Any ford truck engine late 80s & 90s. Pathetic performance & crappy mileage
Any chevy truck OR car engine early 80's to 90s- see ford above
I've been playing this game for a long, long time and I can tell you this -- Generic Motors has always been against innovation. Don't know why, don't care. They just are.

Who in their right minds puts a push-rod motor in a 'sports' car? Who??

Push rod motors are okay (at best) when air velocity is not as important as air volume -- Such as in diesels. But in high-revving, high HP/low torque racing motors? Submarine, meet screen door.

And who still does it? Generic Motors.

Ford tried to bring OHC engines to the NASCAR circuit decades ago. And that's supposed to be what racing is all about -- Testing for the manufacturers. But Generic Motors crapped all over themselves because they're too stupid to design an OHC engine. Not sure if they still can -- And the Northstar is a certified piece of garbage. Trust me. We won't won't even work on them at the shop. Get a replacement engine or take it away. Yeah, we'll change filters, etc. But if your engine needs worked on? Take it to the Dealer. Not interested. Even the Dealer hates them.

The OHC Vega?? Typical Generic Motors screw up. They tested it with the very best fuel available without regard to the real world. When people started to put real world fuel in them, it wore the coating off the piston walls within 75K. At which point, it was junk. Couldn't be fixed.

Diesels? They ran Detroit Diesel into the ground until they had to sell it to Daimler. They can't make their own Diesel, had to get one from Isuzu for their Light Duty Trucks.

Ford also tried other ways to introduce new technology, only to be shot down by Generic Motors. Yes, they WERE that powerful.

Ford is not perfect. Far from it. But at least they believe in advancing automotive technology. Generic Motors couldn't care less. They'd still be making and selling 500 Cubic Inch cast iron motors that get 6 MPG if they could get away with it.

GM sucks. Always has, always will.

Quick Reply: F150 Diesel option for 2018