Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2017 Bed Drain Holes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 12:53 PM
69-er
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Bed Drain Holes?

Our work trucks came to us with the factory drop in bed liners. There are no drain holes in them. If we were to drill a few strategically placed holes in the plastic I'm wondering if there drain holes in the bed? Seems like there should be but I have never paid attention to other trucks.

I haven't pulled the liner yet but I looked underneath the truck and couldn't see any holes.

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
There are drain holes in the bed. The drop-in liners normally don't have them....I've never been able figure that out. Days after a rain, the drop-ins will still have gallons of water in them.

Lots of people drill holes in them...if they don't want the water in there. The only alternatives are heavy acceleration forward, strong braking when backing, or park with the nose uphill.....or bed covers.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:04 PM
David W Jones
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I've never seen a drop in bedliner with factory made drain holes. That's for a reason. Why would you want whatever accumulation of dust, dirt and crap that collects in the bed to drain out of the bedliner and into the the space between the liner and truck bed? Let enough crap get in the bed and those factory holes can plug up.
So the bedliner gets some water in it. That hurts what? As noted, if water collecting in the bed is an issue...turn the truck around next time...but don't ruin the liner by cutting holes in it.
Heavy acceleration or strong braking?
I've found that with the water we have here in Alabama, simply letting the water run towards the tailgate allows it to drain right out.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:05 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't remember any drain holes in the bed, but there are plenty of gaps between the floor and sidewalls to let rain out.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:09 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Those are the drains.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:25 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by David W Jones
I've never seen a drop in bedliner with factory made drain holes. That's for a reason. Why would you want whatever accumulation of dust, dirt and crap that collects in the bed to drain out of the bedliner and into the the space between the liner and truck bed? Let enough crap get in the bed and those factory holes can plug up.
So the bedliner gets some water in it. That hurts what? As noted, if water collecting in the bed is an issue...turn the truck around next time...but don't ruin the liner by cutting holes in it.
Heavy acceleration or strong braking?
I've found that with the water we have here in Alabama, simply letting the water run towards the tailgate allows it to drain right out.

My 2005 F350 PSD had a factory drop in bed liner with holes in it. That was the only way to reach the factory tie-down brackets welded to the front corners of the bed. You're right though - for days after it rained water dripped out the back end from between the liner and the bed.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:14 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I have always heard that a drop in bed liner is one of the worst things you can do to a truck. Between the dirt and moisture that gets between the bed liner and the bed, the vibrations of the liner wear the paint on the bed and then the bed rusts. Better to not use a liner or just use a rubber bed mat. I have a bed rug in the truck now and I like it a lot. Easy to remove and rinse and nice and comfy on the knees when you have to crawl in the bed.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:21 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
I have a Line-X liner in my current truck. Seems like you could bounce artillery shells off it. Lifetime warranty if you screw it up. Not terribly knee friendly though. Unfortunately, I also use the factory bed divider and anything thicker than the Line-X will stop you from latching in the divider.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:34 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by CR172
I have always heard that a drop in bed liner is one of the worst things you can do to a truck.
I've only had one of the rigid plastic liners. It did more damage to my bed, from rubbing, than if I'd not had one. Plus, things slid all over on the one I had. I'll never have another one.

I can see where they would be useful to people that carry large heavy objects in the bed that might otherwise scratch or dent the bed. But for me, that's not an issue. But, like I said, they have their place and usefulness.

In my new truck, I have nothing. If it gets too scratched up, I'll get a spray-in liner.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:51 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 221 Likes on 184 Posts
We have the factory spray-in liner. We've had LineX in the past on previous trucks, and I do not see a huge difference (in spite of some people's criticisms). Our dealer originally recommended the LineX when we got ours, but the local LineX shop had a multi-week waiting list. So we went with the factory version. No problems whatsoever. This week we added the BedRug Mat. Kind of like having your cake and eating it too.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:25 PM
nicadrick
New User
Pressure washer did the trick. Now I’m off to figure coal drain leak to floor board issue.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:52 PM
Slowtrucker
Senior User
Originally Posted by nicadrick
Pressure washer did the trick. Now I’m off to figure coal drain leak to floor board issue.

What does this mean?

Old 10-31-2017, 09:13 PM
ZeroTX
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Slowtrucker
What does this mean?
It's Engrish.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:00 PM
Slowtrucker
Senior User
Originally Posted by ZeroTX
It's Engrish.

Clearly I need a translator.

Never heard of a "coal drain leak"

Old 11-01-2017, 11:50 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Heck, I'm still trying to figure out what the pressure washer fixed!

Quick Reply: 2017 Bed Drain Holes?