Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Off Topic but needs to be shared

Old 07-18-2017, 09:47 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 217 Likes on 147 Posts
Off Topic but needs to be shared

Saw this sign in a tiny New Mexico town on my recent trip hauling a 29 foot TT to the mountains. (My truck pulled it like a champ with zero issues save for another BFG coming apart)(there, no longer off topic ) Thanks to the children of this little village and thanks to forum member williamg4x4 who lives there and sent me the pic which I forgot to snap while I was there.

Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:01 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Sunday Washington state DUIE laws take affect. Can't stand the amount of people on the phone not paying attention to the road, especially in traffic.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:58 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Another example of.. Do what I say, not what I do....

Old 07-20-2017, 01:04 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I do understand and appreciate the danger involved with folks driving and using their electronic toys on the road, but frankly all these new laws are quite stupid and unnecessary. These laws don't protect us at all. A police officer can't tell if you're using a cell phone or whatever while driving, he can only see the result of this use, weaving. And there have been laws on the books for decades to cover that. It's called reckless driving.

When I was a kid (I'm 50) speeding 15 miles over the limit on the highway (70 in 55) earned you a ticket, speeding 15 miles over the limit in town (40/50 in a 25/35) got your butt thrown in jail and your car impounded for reckless driving, reckless endangerment, etc. It didn't matter what caused you to be reckless, it was the reckless result. Eating a Big Mac, reading the newspaper, putting on your make-up - the latter put my friend in the hospital for two weeks when some ditsy broad rear-ended him at a light. These laws, if enforced, can carry heavier penalties if deserved, and thus likely have a greater deterrent effect. But I don't believe that's the goal anymore. The new laws have lighter penalties because they can tag safe drivers at any time and raise more money with fewer court costs.

As mentioned, I'm 50, been driving since 16, gone across country 4 times, and driven on both sides of the road around the world. I travel for work and rent cars all the time. I consider myself a very good defensive driver. I've taken courses as an adult - quite fun actually, and good for your insurance. Before I leave the rental car lot I familiarize myself with the car; wipers, lights, mirror adjustments, climate controls, comfort, RainX on the windshield (seriously! I travel with the stuff), Bluetooth setup, all of it. I see so many people just get in and drive away, then weave all over the exit roads leaving the airport.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:06 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Another example of.. Do what I say, not what I do....
And I've been nearly run off the road by state troopers on the highways using their center console mounted laptops while driving at 65-70 ...

Old 07-20-2017, 03:05 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
My dad couldn't get his phone out fast enough sitting in passenger seat one day sitting at an intersection. We were turning left, The po po pulled up next to us. dad looked over and he was playing solitaire on his console laptop. that would have made it on the news if dad pulled it off and got the picture. my opinion, Get in the car and the car blocks all cell phone signal. Done, No sync, no voice activated mombo jumbo. no chatting to someone over the car hands free. If they truly care about cutting accidents, That needs to happen. If not, They are just kidding themselves and going after little fish. They will never stop it.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:33 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by danskool
The po po pulled up next to us. dad looked over and he was playing solitaire on his console laptop.

Get in the car and the car blocks all cell phone signal.
So the cop (while wrong in this case) needs his online data to do his job, but the rest of us are not allowed any convenience at all?

I disagree. There should be no laws restricting what you do in your car at all. The limit is whether whatever you're doing is affecting your ability to safely operate the vehicle. I.e., reckless driving. Just having a passenger in your car can be distracting enough to cause an accident. Should they outlaw husbands driving while their wives are talking in the front seat? (I wish)

And saying it's for safety is asinine. Your car goes off the road and you're trapped and can't use your cell phone because the law required you to have it out of reach or off or whatever, so you have to wait for someone else to call for help while bleeding to death or waiting for the engine fire to reach the gas tank is ridiculous.

With adequate penalties, the law exists to deter crime. The police are there solely to clean up after the fact. They do not prevent crime. They do not protect you.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:51 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 217 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by danskool
My dad couldn't get his phone out fast enough sitting in passenger seat one day sitting at an intersection. We were turning left, The po po pulled up next to us. dad looked over and he was playing solitaire on his console laptop. that would have made it on the news if dad pulled it off and got the picture. my opinion, Get in the car and the car blocks all cell phone signal. Done, No sync, no voice activated mombo jumbo. no chatting to someone over the car hands free. If they truly care about cutting accidents, That needs to happen. If not, They are just kidding themselves and going after little fish. They will never stop it.
You are correct, they will never stop it. Instead what will happen is driving will be taken out of our hands, the cars will drive themselves. Then what you do behind the wheel won't matter anymore. Most of us won't see it on a large scale but our kids will.