Broke down and wont start. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Broke down and wont start.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:52 PM
Elder User

snorindad has a very good reputation on FTE.snorindad has a very good reputation on FTE.snorindad has a very good reputation on FTE.snorindad has a very good reputation on FTE.
Broke down and wont start.

So this happened yesterday. Heading north for the weekend truck lost power and when I pulled over it quit. I have an Edge CTS and all numbers were good. I talked to a mechanic I know and he said try some brake clean or something in the intake and see if it fires. So I did and it started briefly. I am thinking it is not getting fuel. When I turn the key to the on position I should be able to hear the HPFP but I do not. I believe it is making some faint clicking but not the normal sound. Is there anyway to test either fuel pump or does anyone have any advice on what the problem might be. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2017, 04:16 PM
Posting Guru

Excurvelle has much to be proud ofExcurvelle has much to be proud ofExcurvelle has much to be proud ofExcurvelle has much to be proud ofExcurvelle has much to be proud ofExcurvelle has much to be proud ofExcurvelle has much to be proud ofExcurvelle has much to be proud ofExcurvelle has much to be proud ofExcurvelle has much to be proud of
Take off the cover to the fuel filter under the hood and turn the key on, it should fill. If there is no fuel in it then nothing is coming from the pump on the rail. If you have fuel, you need to look deeper. Did it act like it ran out of fuel? Not a good thing for the injectors. Do not use starting fluid!
Old 07-15-2017, 04:19 PM
Elder User

snorindad has a very good reputation on FTE.snorindad has a very good reputation on FTE.snorindad has a very good reputation on FTE.snorindad has a very good reputation on FTE.
I pulled the cover off the fuel filter on top of the engine and yes there is fuel there. And I only sprayed the brake clean to see if it would fire. I was on the side of the hwy with little options. And yes it was driving fine then just lost power and shut down.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:28 PM
FTE Addict

diesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to behold
Did you try unplugging the ICP? What was IPR % when cranking? I don't see in your sig line if you have replaced the STC off the HPOP, have you? About how many miles on your truck?
Old 07-15-2017, 04:43 PM
Elder User

I have replaced the stc fitting. the truck has approx. 150k on it. When I pulled the heads I tried to make sure I did all the fixes/upgrades to the motor. I have owned two 6.0's over the last twelve years and this is the first time it left me stranded.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:44 PM
Elder User

I do not believe it is an oil pressure thing since it fired immediately with the brake clean.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:48 PM
Elder User

FiznUKa has a good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a good reputation on FTE.
Check the inertia switch. Check the connections to the HCFM on the frame rail. Have someone turn the key to the on position but no crank while you are under the truck and listen and feel for the pump to come on. If nothing check the fuses.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:38 PM
Post Fiend

Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.Rusty Axlerod has a spectacular reputation.
By spraying the brake fluid you skipped everything in the fuel system including sync at the crank and cam sensors, FICM, PCM, injectors, high pressure oil system, fuel supply etc. it didn't help a lot. With fuel in the upper filter housing, it would seem the pump and lines are ok to that point (pressure and volume may still be an issue). Knowing ICP and IPR would be good, along with sync status and FICM power. On the farm if a diesel has a problem it's never a bad idea to throw som fuel filters in before getting too bogged down in details. We change them by mileage but that assumes decent fuel, one bad tank can trash even a new filter.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:46 PM
Junior User

scarty111 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How much was the tow bill?
Old 07-15-2017, 06:49 PM
Disgruntled Texan

texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorindad View Post
When I turn the key to the on position I should be able to hear the HPFP but I do not.
Quick (and very messy) test would be to remove the fuel return to tank line on the HFCM and see if diesel comes out when someone turns the key to on-not cranking. Upper/rear line on the cover.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarty111 View Post
How much was the tow bill?
$543.40 for 57 miles.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:23 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod View Post
By spraying the brake fluid you skipped everything in the fuel system including sync at the crank and cam sensors, FICM, PCM, injectors, high pressure oil system, fuel supply etc. it didn't help a lot. With fuel in the upper filter housing, it would seem the pump and lines are ok to that point (pressure and volume may still be an issue). Knowing ICP and IPR would be good, along with sync status and FICM power. On the farm if a diesel has a problem it's never a bad idea to throw som fuel filters in before getting too bogged down in details. We change them by mileage but that assumes decent fuel, one bad tank can trash even a new filter.
I just changed the fuel filters and the upper housing is filling with fuel. I change the fuel filters every other oil change, so they were due in about 4k. So the ficm is reading 49 volts. I am charging my batteries at this point due to the fact they are run down. they are at the 4 year mark. Plus AZ heat, running flashers for 5 hours and screwing around with different things. Tomorrow when they are charged I will try and get more readings. My ICP was fine yesterday when I was driving. I might have gone south when I lost power but I was too busy looking for a place to get off the road.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:34 PM
Posting Guru

Tofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorindad View Post
I just changed the fuel filters and the upper housing is filling with fuel. I change the fuel filters every other oil change, so they were due in about 4k. So the ficm is reading 49 volts. I am charging my batteries at this point due to the fact they are run down. they are at the 4 year mark. Plus AZ heat, running flashers for 5 hours and screwing around with different things. Tomorrow when they are charged I will try and get more readings. My ICP was fine yesterday when I was driving. I might have gone south when I lost power but I was too busy looking for a place to get off the road.
So did you try to start your truck after it had cooled down? I know you said you "did all the fixes" but did they include standpipe and dummy plugs? Injector o rings, Nipplecup o rings? We need to see some numbers......Also please measure your batteries and let us know. If everything is looking good, it could point to a HPOP. Might want to check your oil as well....
Old 07-15-2017, 10:05 PM
Elder User

rattleNsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mine did exactly the same goddamn thing and left me on the side of the road. Ended up blowing out the screen in the IPR valve.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:44 AM
Postmaster

m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.m-chan68 has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Mine did exactly the same goddamn thing and left me on the side of the road. Ended up blowing out the screen in the IPR valve.
In my experience, a sudden engine shutdown mimicking the same symptom as someone accidentally turning the ignition off, has been repaired successfully with an IPR valve replacement 90% of the time, if the actual cause is a sudden loss of sufficient ICP psi. Even more so, is if this is an '05 and up truck.