6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Broke down and wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:08 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Thanks. Trying to stay out.

Ford's tech training modules are usually good. Along with experience of course.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:13 AM
snorindad
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FiznUKa
Did you reuse the same filter from the old pump and install it into the new one or was it new? The cap oring is it ok? The drain plug oring ok?

New hfcm came with new filter, cap, o ring, installed my drain plug with new o ring on it.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:19 AM
snorindad
Elder User
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Any percentages down on the balance test?

It would be unusual to have any of the few pressure side o-rings in the lines not leak under pressure, but allow a Venturi style air leak during operation. But coming from a life of anything is possible, but not necessarily probable, that could be a direction. You would need to adapt fuel injection rubber line HFCM to fuel bowl. Doable, just not something I'd like to do.

6 cylinders were -40 and 2 were +40. It was explained to me that two injectors were bad and robbing the other six. Which is why you heard the knocking in the video. I hope I explained it right. The diesel tech that came over works on many types of vehicles(power utility) and has a cousin that is a diesel tech for ford. Which he called to verify his findings

Old 08-07-2017, 04:40 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Edit, nm - saw #2 and #6 posted earlier.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:30 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Brian,

Actually I should have written the question better, compression balance percentages.

Injectors working/not working well would not matter with the knock as you were only engaging the starter during the bubble test (if you were jumping at the battery) so injectors were not being utilized. No electrical engagement of the injector and not pressurization of the fuel pathways so no way for the pintles to leak either.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:30 AM
snorindad
Elder User
here is a picture.

Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2017, 08:01 AM
snorindad
Elder User
Brian,

Actually I should have written the question better, compression balance percentages.

Injectors working/not working well would not matter with the knock as you were only engaging the starter during the bubble test (if you were jumping at the battery) so injectors were not being utilized. No electrical engagement of the injector and not pressurization of the fuel pathways so no way for the pintles to leak either.
They were all within .5% of each other.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:36 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Compression numbers sound good.

I've only done the injector balance about a dozen times and only on my own truck with it running, so I have no experience on how an injector power balance should look on a non-running truck. But non-running, I'm having trouble conceiving how it's a valid test.

With that, I don't think I'm being any help in this thread so I'll bow out. Best of luck.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:55 AM
snorindad
Elder User
Compression numbers sound good.

I've only done the injector balance about a dozen times and only on my own truck with it running, so I have no experience on how an injector power balance should look on a non-running truck. But non-running, I'm having trouble conceiving how it's a valid test.

With that, I don't think I'm being any help in this thread so I'll bow out. Best of luck.
The mechanic that came over was able to get it to run a little with me cranking it and using a little additive in the intake.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:25 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Still bowing out, but adding an aid for running then declaring (the mechanic) the injector balance test is telling anything is absolute BS, capital letters in bold. The test measures the rotational speed differences of each cylinder, which are altered based on combustion. If there's additional combustionable material being added by a different means then the injector, then your not testing the injector. The person needs his IDS revoked.

Yes, like Mom I was born without the tactful gene.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:43 AM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Still bowing out, but adding an aid for running then declaring (the mechanic) the injector balance test is telling anything is absolute BS, capital letters in bold. The test measures the rotational speed differences of each cylinder, which are altered based on combustion. If there's additional combustionable material being added by a different means then the injector, then your not testing the injector. The person needs his IDS revoked.

Yes, like Mom I was born without the tactful gene.
I agree with almost every statement as stated above. According to that power balance screen shot, one is led to believe that #2 and #6 holes are overfueling??? That screen shot is only obtainable on a running engine. If starting and running the engine in question was achieved by other means (alternative fuel source added to the intake), other than running on its own accord, that test is moot.

Were you able to run a relative compression test? If anything is out-of-spec, how running a manual compression test? What do the results reveal? How about an injector buzz test? Do all eight injectors buzz/click when the test is run? Are any injector(s) circuit codes returned when running the test? And if so, do you have any known good injector(s) to plug into the offending cylinder(s) to recheck and rerun the test to see if it reveals the same result(s)? This is where I would be going at this point.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:55 AM
snorindad
Elder User
So I don't want to throw parts at this in addition to everyone on this forum (which I do greatly appreciate all response's) I am having it towed to the dealer and see what they say. I just want it running. I can fix the coolant issue. I will post what they find. I did call BPD this morning gave him all the info I had and he is saying it is a fuel issue. But we will see. I would have taken it to BPD but they are booked out to the end of October.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:01 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by snorindad
So I don't want to throw parts at this in addition to everyone on this forum (which I do greatly appreciate all response's) I am having it towed to the dealer and see what they say. I just want it running. I can fix the coolant issue. I will post what they find. I did call BPD this morning gave him all the info I had and he is saying it is a fuel issue. But we will see. I would have taken it to BPD but they are booked out to the end of October.
Assuming compression and valve timing to be intact, and no other base engine issues, we know that already. What we need to determine at this point is if it's a fuel volume/delivery issue (by what you've been doing swapping HFCMs) or injector(s) not delivering.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:52 PM
snorindad
Elder User
So after two days the Ford dealer can’t figure out why the truck won’t start. They say they have ruled out all the normal problems. By all rights it should start and run. They said when they checked the injectors individually they all test good but testing them as a whole two were bad. I just want this truck running.